[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#2506 Post by SouthAussie94 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:24 pm

SBD wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:31 pm
Is this another bridge that will be built down the road a bit, then driven up and put in place one weekend? I think I recall there were going to be two, and only one has been positioned so far.
I can't speak for how the Ayliffes Rd bridge will be built but, the second bridge you refer to will also cross the Southern Expressway, adjacent to the bridge they moved late last year. The second bridge is currently being constructed next to Hungry Jacks
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

fifty
High Rise Poster!

#2507 Post by fifty » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:34 pm

rhino wrote:
fifty wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:19 am
Also, what's up with the six lanes of north bound surface south rd in that pic? Not including the freeway lanes. Surely overkill!
I count 3 northbound lanes: one at the far western side, and two more heading north from the Shepherds Hill Road junction. Where are the other three?
Sorry I meant south bound surface south rd. Two going up Shepherds Hill, two continuing on surface South rd, and two bizarrely turning down to the sunken freeway which they only would have just turned off from.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2508 Post by Norman » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:25 pm

fifty wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:34 pm
Sorry I meant south bound surface south rd. Two going up Shepherds Hill, two continuing on surface South rd, and two bizarrely turning down to the sunken freeway which they only would have just turned off from.
Yes, but people coming from Tonsley will need to use this entry.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2509 Post by SBD » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:25 pm

Norman wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:25 pm
fifty wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:34 pm
Yes, but people coming from Tonsley will need to use this entry.
The Ayliffes Road on ramp needs to be there anyway. The next on ramp back would be at Cross Road (there's a list on page 162 of this thread), so any vehicles entering the corridor south of there would be using the on ramp we are looking at. That's businesses and residents near it, and any southbound traffic from Daws Road and Castle Plaza.

[Shuz]

#2510 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:15 am

So they'll do on and off ramps for Southern Expressway, Flinders Drive and Study Roads and partially for Shepherd's Hill / Ayliffes Road but nothing for the entire stretch between Darlington and Emerson?

Yeah, nah.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

bits
Legendary Member!

#2511 Post by bits » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:13 am

South Road(Ayliffes) aka end of freeway:
South bound onramp
North bound offramp

Ayliffes Road:
South bound onramp
North bound offramp

Flinders Drive:
South bound onramp
North bound offramp

South Road(Southern expressway) :
South bound offramp
North bound onramp

Eg
-Coming from southern end heading north you can only get on right at the start from South road(south) . I assume you would also be able to get on after Ayliffes also in the future.
-You can get off Flinders Drive, Ayliffes Road and South Road(north).
But maybe not at south road(north) in the future.

-Coming from northern end heading south you can get on from South Road(north), Ayliffes Road and Flinders Drive.
But maybe not South Road(north) in the future.
-Get off at South Road(south).

ChillyPhilly

#2512 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:46 am

[Shuz] wrote:So they'll do on and off ramps for Southern Expressway, Flinders Drive and Study Roads and partially for Shepherd's Hill / Ayliffes Road but nothing for the entire stretch between Darlington and Emerson?

Yeah, nah.
It seems unlikely to me as well, but remember that access to the corridor will be in locations that serve freight. The completed corridor is not intended to be for commuter purposes.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

[Shuz]

#2513 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:22 pm

So if it's intended purpose is freight then it is logical that there would be intersections with Daws Road and one around the Castle Plaza region.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

bits
Legendary Member!

#2514 Post by bits » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:35 pm

I don't think the Melrose Park/Edwardstown is comparable to Tonsley/Bedford Park area. Billions and billions of dollars difference in types of businesses.

Melrose Park etc also has numerous alternative routes running parallel either side of South Road.

[Shuz]

#2515 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:51 pm

The cattle tracks that is Winston Avenue and Towers Terrace are not suitable alternative routes. Get real.

ChillyPhilly

#2516 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:23 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:51 pm
The cattle tracks that is Winston Avenue and Towers Terrace are not suitable alternative routes. Get real.
Funnily enough Towers Terrace or thereabouts was the path of the old MATS N-S Freeway.

There'd surely be an entrance from Daws Road as that would best serve the industry around there. It'll be interesting to see what the government comes up with as the Motorway is intended to be elevated along that stretch.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

bits
Legendary Member!

#2517 Post by bits » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:35 pm

There is Goodwood, Marion and the surface South Road also.
That is 3 majors and 2 minors with a freeway through the middle.

You can't have a freeway with on and off ramps every 100m. Darlington is super excessive as it is, but has single destinations you need to get to. That area is special with a large uni, large public hospital, large private hospital, large police station and numerous large companies.

Wingfield is already a massively larger industrial area than Melrose Park/Edwardstown and still has huge amount of land to grow more. Look to there for what a larger area has for on/off ramp access.

On/off ramps at Darlington and Emerson will easily handle the industry inbetween.

[Shuz]

#2518 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:00 pm

Cue community opposition and outrage if there's no interchanges. 5km without getting on or off is a bit ridiculous. What about in the event of an emergency? Is everyone just gonna be stuck in the trench or overpass? It's unsafe to have a traffic jam of 5km long in the event there's an incident close to either end which obstructs the flow of the freeway.

Melbourne's M1 (Monash Freeway) has interchanges every 1.5km - 2km. This is reasonable and appropriate.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2519 Post by rev » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:26 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:00 pm
Cue community opposition and outrage if there's no interchanges. 5km without getting on or off is a bit ridiculous. What about in the event of an emergency? Is everyone just gonna be stuck in the trench or overpass? It's unsafe to have a traffic jam of 5km long in the event there's an incident close to either end which obstructs the flow of the freeway.

Melbourne's M1 (Monash Freeway) has interchanges every 1.5km - 2km. This is reasonable and appropriate.
Between Port Road and Anzac Hwy its about 5.75km.

Richmond Rd to Anzac Hwy is about 2.3km.
Port Road to Henley Beach rd is about 2.5km.
Roughly about 900m between Henley Beach and Sir Don.
There's a section on the Eastern Freeway with on/off ramps with only about 700m between them.

I think without question there needs to be and will be on/off ramps at Sir Donald Bradman drive due to the Airport.
Henley Beach road...who knows..there's no much room there. Heritage listed Thebarton theater and former council chambers, and a bit further south on the same west side just past the BP, there's another heritage building. School that's undergone multi million dollar redevelopment on the other side, and the gold store. Something could be done with a realignment of Henley Beach road through there perhaps..

SBD

#2520 Post by SBD » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:34 am

rev wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:26 am
[Shuz] wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:00 pm

Between Port Road and Anzac Hwy its about 5.75km.

Richmond Rd to Anzac Hwy is about 2.3km.
Port Road to Henley Beach rd is about 2.5km.
Roughly about 900m between Henley Beach and Sir Don.
There's a section on the Eastern Freeway with on/off ramps with only about 700m between them.

I think without question there needs to be and will be on/off ramps at Sir Donald Bradman drive due to the Airport.
Henley Beach road...who knows..there's no much room there. Heritage listed Thebarton theater and former council chambers, and a bit further south on the same west side just past the BP, there's another heritage building. School that's undergone multi million dollar redevelopment on the other side, and the gold store. Something could be done with a realignment of Henley Beach road through there perhaps..
The last post on page 161 quotes the strategy
"The non-stop Motorway component of the North-South Corridor will be directly connected to
intersecting arterial roads via interchanges located at Regency Road, Port Road/Grange Road/
Manton Street, Sir Donald Bradman Drive/James Congdon Drive, Anzac Highway, Cross Road,
Ayliffes Road /Shepherds Hill Road and Sturt Road. "
There are of course other interchanges on the corridor further north and south than the section described there, but that is quoting a 2014 document.