[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#4756 Post by SBD » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:35 am

Vasco wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:16 pm
New Infrastructure Minister Corey Wingard said work was continuing to progress on the North-South corridor project.

“We won’t be rushed into making a decision on the biggest project in the state’s history because the Opposition, with a track record of delivering nothing, says so,” he said.

“An Opposition who dragged their feet on this project and left the hardest and most expensive part to us.”

What a pathetic and down right inaccurate comment by the new minister.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It seems that inaccurate comments can be made by members of both parties. Mr Koutsantonis Tweeted a day or two ago about the delays in starting work on the intersection near Port Wakefield. He claimed construction was due to start in May 2018! That's only two months after his party was in government - how close to final design were they!?

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4757 Post by Spotto » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:13 am

New Infrastructure Minister Corey Wingard said work was continuing to progress on the North-South corridor project.

“We won’t be rushed into making a decision on the biggest project in the state’s history because the Opposition, with a track record of delivering nothing, says so,” he said.

“An Opposition who dragged their feet on this project and left the hardest and most expensive part to us.”
“Dragged their feet” and built every other section of the corridor totalling approx 67 km.

“A track record of doing nothing” by building swathes of new essential infrastructure. Some of it may have had ups and downs but that happens with any infrastructure project.

Regardless of anyone’s political beliefs, you can’t deny that Rann (and Weatherill) was the most consequential modern premier when it comes to infrastructure. The guy gave us new motorways, a renewed rail infrastructure ready for electrification, a rebuilt Adelaide Airport, a new city hospital (operational success questionable), restarted interest in the trams. You can’t deny he did a lot of good.

Nort

#4758 Post by Nort » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:50 am

From a future proofing perspective I really hope any tunnels are three lane. Any tunnels built will likely be in service for the rest of the century.

SBD

#4759 Post by SBD » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:14 pm

Spotto wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:13 am

“Dragged their feet” and built every other section of the corridor totalling approx 67 km.

“A track record of doing nothing” by building swathes of new essential infrastructure. Some of it may have had ups and downs but that happens with any infrastructure project.

Regardless of anyone’s political beliefs, you can’t deny that Rann (and Weatherill) was the most consequential modern premier when it comes to infrastructure. The guy gave us new motorways, a renewed rail infrastructure ready for electrification, a rebuilt Adelaide Airport, a new city hospital (operational success questionable), restarted interest in the trams. You can’t deny he did a lot of good.
Over the past 50 years, Labor has been in government more than twice as long as Liberal, so even if the infrastructure projects have been continuing uniformly by DPTI regardless of which party is controlling the purse strings, Labor would have delivered more.

Big projects initiated by the Marshall government (eg Port Wakefield bypass/interchange, Joy Baluch AM bridge duplication, new WCH?) haven't had time yet to be completed. They have had the privilege of opening Northern Connector, tram extension, and soon Darlington and Flinders rail, all started by the previous government. R2P was already proposed, but I don't think it was planned when they were elected.

We had a Liberal government 1993-2002, which was long enough to propose and build things, but I don't recall what was in that timeframe...? Heysen Tunnels and Crafers Freeway, gauge conversion of the Loxton and Pinnaroo railway lines to keep grain on rail (but it still wasn't enough eventually), Salisbury Highway extension to meet South Road extension?

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#4760 Post by A-Town » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:23 pm

Nort wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:50 am
From a future proofing perspective I really hope any tunnels are three lane. Any tunnels built will likely be in service for the rest of the century.
This. Every video animation I've seen so far has 2 lane tunnels both ways. Concerning.

NYG
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#4761 Post by NYG » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:35 pm

A-Town wrote:
Nort wrote:
This. Every video animation I've seen so far has 2 lane tunnels both ways. Concerning.

Saw this in DPTI’s Construction Sector Industry Briefing released earlier this week. First depiction I believe of anything 3 lanes as far as tunnels are concerned, but a welcome one.

Nort

#4762 Post by Nort » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:04 am

NYG wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:35 pm
A-Town wrote:
Nort wrote:

Saw this in DPTI’s Construction Sector Industry Briefing released earlier this week. First depiction I believe of anything 3 lanes as far as tunnels are concerned, but a welcome one.
Interestingly it doesn't look like those tunnels are any bigger than the 2 lane concepts, but discard the space on the sides to squeeze in a third lane. Does anyone know if the requirements around tunnel design allow this?

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4763 Post by Spotto » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:06 am

Nort wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:04 am
Interestingly it doesn't look like those tunnels are any bigger than the 2 lane concepts, but discard the space on the sides to squeeze in a third lane. Does anyone know if the requirements around tunnel design allow this?
If they go with the hybrid option the tunnels at either end will be between 3-5 km long. The Burnley Tunnel in Melbourne is 3.4 km long, 3-lanes with no emergency lanes. It was built 20 years ago but it might indicate that it’s possible for the NSM tunnels.

By virtue of having 3 lanes and regularly-placed overhead traffic management signs it might negate the need to have an emergency lane in the short NSM tunnels. I know tunnels and trenches have different safety requirements but Darlington and the T2T don’t have emergency lanes.

Don’t quote me on that though.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#4764 Post by Eurostar » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:11 am

I passed the Regency Road section on yesterday, drilling was happening , for the overpass

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#4765 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:58 pm

Vasco wrote:

That's a disgraceful comment by Windbag.

When he was busy hosting some b-grade football show on Channel 10 (that no one watched), the previous government was busy fixing up the mess created by the Brown government with the Southern Expressway. Don't forget that the current govenment was also against both the Superway and T2T projects, and caused all sorts of wailing and gnashing of teeth with the Gallipoli underpass, and Darlington was started by the previous government (and has been bungled pretty badly since the current government came in)?

What has the current government started on the north-south corridor? Yes, R2P was started by the current government, but it was announced by the previous government, and would've happened no matter who was in office.

SBD

#4766 Post by SBD » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:33 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:58 pm
Vasco wrote:

That's a disgraceful comment by Windbag.

When he was busy hosting some b-grade football show on Channel 10 (that no one watched), the previous government was busy fixing up the mess created by the Brown government with the Southern Expressway. Don't forget that the current govenment was also against both the Superway and T2T projects, and caused all sorts of wailing and gnashing of teeth with the Gallipoli underpass, and Darlington was started by the previous government (and has been bungled pretty badly since the current government came in)?

What has the current government started on the north-south corridor? Yes, R2P was started by the current government, but it was announced by the previous government, and would've happened no matter who was in office.
Depending how far north counts, you might be able to count the Port Wakefield bypass, Copper Coast Highway interchange and Joy Baluch AM Bridge duplication as projects started by this government. Koutsantonis said they are delayed as they were "due to start" in May 2018, but I didn't see any evidence of that plan at the time. The Joy Baluch AM bridge was in the Labor election promises (with no timeframe) - was finishing the NS Motorway?

It has also started a number of intersection upgrades on other routes through the metro area, some of which might be relevant to commuters detouring around NS-corridor roadworks.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#4767 Post by rev » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:31 pm

If we're going to sit here and compare who said what and who did what, this is going to turn from the M2-NSM development thread into the Politicians are Lying Dick Heads thread. Bottom line is they're all full of shit.

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#4768 Post by cmet » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:53 pm

Whatever rev

EBG

#4769 Post by EBG » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:07 am

15/8/2020 some pictures of the Pym St pedestrian overpass. 1. west side, 2. east side . Please click on pictures for bigger.
Attachments
20200815_pym st 1.jpg
20200815_pym st 4.jpg

EBG

#4770 Post by EBG » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:14 am

15/8/2020 sound barrier on the east side of the Pym St pedestrian overpass has a different shape compared to such walls used up till now. This new wall has a ripple pattern. Please click on pictures for bigger.
Attachments
20200815_pym st 2.jpg
20200815_pym st 3.jpg