[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#2176 Post by rev » Tue May 16, 2017 5:25 pm

lethalgoat75
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2177 Post by lethalgoat75 » Tue May 16, 2017 6:09 pm

FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (115.4 KiB) Viewed 3869 times
long time viewer, first time poster ;)
Cruising home and happened to snap this quick shot.
As you head a bit further north on MSR, you can see plenty of steel reinforcing - suggesting the edge of the grade separation (?)
- if the weather was better this week I'd go for a stroll to see what else I could snap.

Promise better pics in the future!

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#2178 Post by SouthAussie94 » Tue May 16, 2017 8:32 pm

lethalgoat75 wrote:long time viewer, first time poster ;)
Cruising home and happened to snap this quick shot.
As you head a bit further north on MSR, you can see plenty of steel reinforcing - suggesting the edge of the grade separation (?)
- if the weather was better this week I'd go for a stroll to see what else I could snap.

Promise better pics in the future!
It depends on where the steel reinforcing you're referring to is?

On the eastern side, between Sturt and Ayliffes, they've begun constructing what looks to be the wall separating the south bound surface road from the lowered motorway (looks to be similar to the wall at the southern end of the superway once it has returned to grade). There's a fair amount of rebar visible over the site fencing. At a guess, it stretches for 150-200m.

On the eastern side, piling has begun for what will presumably become the Sturt Rd and Mimosa/Sutton bridges. Piles are visible behind the fence in the south western corner of the Sturt/South intersection. Theres also a fair amount of work underway in the south eastern corner of the intersection. It's hard to get a good view of whats happening here so I can only assume that this is also for the Sturt Rd bridge.

Scaffolding has recently been constructed on the south western corner of the SEXY/South intersection. It stands 10-15m tall. Presumably this is to allow construction of the bridge to continue. When its complete, I assume it will look similar to the bridge support seen in lethalgoats photo.

There were reports of dodgy concrete being supplied to the site a few weeks ago. It appears as if several of the bridge supports at the SEXY/South intersection have been demolished. I expect that these will reappear in the coming weeks.

Still no update from DPTI/Gateway South about upcoming works. The most recent update is from February 2017 regarding work to be undertaken in March..
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2179 Post by Norman » Thu May 18, 2017 9:40 pm

Just found this treasure trove of info on Darlington. There are a lot of spelling date errors in them though in the April edition :?
February 2017 Update
  • Embankments are being built at the southern end at the Sturt River Bridges to allow for construction to commence.
  • Drainage works are continuing near Sturt River.
  • On the northern side of Westpac, the bridge structures are being constructed in-situ. Bridge decks will be built elsewhere and connected later this year.
  • Richard Street is closed for piling and drainage works - Riverside and Franklin streets are open while this occurs.
  • Piling on the southern side of Flinders Drive bridges, then the deck will be installed at ground level and then the soil will be mined out underneath. This preserves traffic flow.
  • Sturt-Flinders extension is nearly ready for asphalt, which will allow for the traffic switch mid-year.
  • Utilities contractors are still on Flinders Oval.
  • Excavation is occurring between Sturt Road and Mimosa Terrace then drainage and noise wall will be installed, followed by asphalt in approximately 2 months.
  • A small amount of work on the north side of Mimosa Terrace will allow for traffic swing.
  • The east side of Sturt-Lincoln Road is being built back up to level to allow for asphalt in June/July 2017, then noise works will commence.
  • Works at the Ayliffes Road culvert will happen over the next two months to widen the road in preparation for the new bridge.
    Tunnelling has finished on Ragless Reserve, and works will cease on the reserve for a period until pipe connections are needed later in the project.
  • Drainage works on Tonsley Boulevard are occurring, then work on the carriageway and piling will commence ready for the cutting.
  • By mid-July 2017, the traffic at the centre of the road will swap to the new carriageway in several sections.
    The project newsletter has been released.
    Doorknocking of properties affected by noise walls is about to commence. Gateway South will bring fencing designs with them, also a stick that shows the height of the noise walls.
  • Extra water trucks have been deployed on hot windy days to keep down the dust.
  • There will be a Flinders University O Week concert on Friday night with 3000 people, residents are advised to expect increased traffic for this event.
  • Will Flinders Link be completed at the same time as the Darlington Upgrade Project? A: DPTI is trying to coordinate the two to finish at the same time, but will need to overcome some challenges to do this.
  • Reynold asked when the decision about the right turn on Flinders Drive going to be finalised. A: July 2017 at this stage.
  • Kat also queried why the water pipe hanging under the McDonalds Bridge had water flowing out of it. A: After the old mains are replaced, they need to drain water out of them and it takes about a week. SA Water need to flush out (sanitise) the new pipes so that there is no building debris in them when they are commissioned and this could contribute to the water that Kat has seen.
  • Tonsley Station will be removed (replaced with the Flinders University Oval station). Clovelly Park and Mitchell Park are not part of the Flinders Link project at this stage.
March 2017 Update
  • There will be two 'superstops' on either side of Main South Road surface road.
  • The ‘superstops’ will be hubs that allow mode shift (from bus to rail) and can accommodate up to 4 buses at a time.
  • Lift access from the footbridge to the railway station is being investigated.
  • Piling works at Sturt River, will continue until late April 2017. When complete at this site, the piling rigs will move to Mimosa Terrace and Tonsley Boulevard.
  • Flinders Drive extension and surface road works to Mimosa are being completed in preparation for the traffic switch in July/August 2017. The culvert at Ayliffes will be extended to facilitate widening of Ayliffes Road allowing the construction of a shared path to connect to Shepherds Hill Reserve.
  • Simon asked about the design process for the northern end of the project. ACTION: 15% concept will be ready by the next CLG meeting.
April 2017 Update
  • The upcoming works are very similar to what occurred in March-April 2016. The next major change is the traffic switch in mid-2016.
  • Piling rigs have moved from Bedford Park South to the Sir Mark Oliphant building area and at Sturt Road.
  • Due to contaminated cement from Adelaide Brighton, cement pouring has paused until this has been rectified.
  • Noise wall construction is expected to commence in the coming weeks at Tonsley, then Bedford Park South and Bedford Park North. There will be 2-3 months of work in front of any one property.
  • Asphalt works on the permanent surface road in Bedford Park North will commence in the next couple of months. It is expected that the surface road between Ayliffes Road and Tonsley Boulevard will be finished by the end of July 2016 allowing the southbound traffic to switch further to the east and
    northbound traffic to the west. Work will then commence on the three bridges at Flinders Drive, Sturt Road and Sutton Road/Mimosa Terrace.
  • The Project is working on traffic staging illustrations. Reynold offered to beta test them.

Also, in T2T news, this image shows the northern end of the project, where the motorway will re-surface.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2180 Post by Norman » Mon May 22, 2017 9:34 pm

Recent drone shot of the Torrens Road bridge, from the T2T Project website.

Listy
High Rise Poster!

#2181 Post by Listy » Wed May 24, 2017 11:52 am

Widening the South Rd bridge over the Torrens River to start next week, & will take approximately 4 months.
http://www.t2talliance.com.au/temporary ... mber-2017/

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#2182 Post by how good is he » Wed May 24, 2017 9:22 pm

Bizarre that they are widening the bridge only for it to go back to a tight 2 lane (each way) where the paver centre is...the govt needs to buy the bloody paver centre and widen the road there as well!

arki
High Rise Poster!

#2183 Post by arki » Wed May 24, 2017 9:36 pm

On that note, does anyone know why they didn't acquire the paving centre as part of this stage? There would have to be a valid reason given how tight that section is. Only thing I can think of is that they are perhaps looking to realign the road over the old Cadbury site opposite at some stage.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2184 Post by SBD » Wed May 24, 2017 11:20 pm

arki wrote:On that note, does anyone know why they didn't acquire the paving centre as part of this stage? There would have to be a valid reason given how tight that section is. Only thing I can think of is that they are perhaps looking to realign the road over the old Cadbury site opposite at some stage.
Another way of asking a similar question would be why are they widening that bridge as part of a project that otherwise finishes at Hindmarsh Avenue? Final design for crossing the Torrens has not been determined yet ("at grade" or elevated) as far as I know.

ChillyPhilly

#2185 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed May 24, 2017 11:56 pm

What SBD said.

According to the Scoping Report, the preferred treatment is an elevated crossing of the Torrens. At-grade remains an option but 'requires further investigation'.

I would expect widening of the current crossing to be a stop-gap solution until a more advanced design is progressed for the section of the corridor between T2T and just south of Sir Donald Bradman Drive, a length known as R4. I earlier detailed this a bit in my post here.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#2186 Post by mawsonguy » Thu May 25, 2017 7:52 am

It is 300m from the southern side of the Torrens River bridge to the northern side of the Ashwin Pde intersection. If the new elevated section was the same height as the Superway (20m) this would give a grade of 6.6% for an elevated section starting at the bridge. This is just a tad under the recomended max grade for a US interstate of 7%. I don't know if there is an Australian standard for max road grade. This section of elevated roadway would not have to be the same height as the Superway as there is not the same need for double stacked container trains to pass underneath and the grade might be lower.

So it may be possible to keep the Torrens River bridge and start the new elevated section to the south of the bridge.

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#2187 Post by drsmith » Fri May 26, 2017 12:49 pm

Senate estimates from this week confirm their is presently no further federal funding for the N/S Corridor beyond the current builds.

http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Bus ... /&sid=0003

For more detail, It's about 1/2 way down in questions from Senator Gallacher.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#2188 Post by neoballmon » Fri May 26, 2017 9:48 pm

Have noticed tonight that signs for South Road in the t2t area are getting the A13 changed to A2 to bring it in line with the M2 for the motorway.
Roads I noticed the change on were Ashwin Parade and Hawker Street.
Will be interesting to see if they alter all the way down to the Southern Expressway, where I assume it would remain A13 from there on.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

ChillyPhilly

#2189 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat May 27, 2017 1:02 am

neoballmon wrote:Have noticed tonight that signs for South Road in the t2t area are getting the A13 changed to A2 to bring it in line with the M2 for the motorway.
Will be interesting to see if they alter all the way down to the Southern Expressway, where I assume it would remain A13 from there on.
Isn't SExy M2 already?
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

alexczarn
Gold-Member ;)

#2190 Post by alexczarn » Sat May 27, 2017 2:55 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
neoballmon wrote:Have noticed tonight that signs for South Road in the t2t area are getting the A13 changed to A2 to bring it in line with the M2 for the motorway.
Isn't SExy M2 already?
Yes, but South Road between Bedford Park and Old Nourlunga is still A13.