[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
alexczarn
Gold-Member ;)

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#2056 Post by alexczarn » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:30 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:They're laying asphalt along both sides of Port Road leading up to the new bridge in preparation for putting the road back from whence it came.

It's nice to see that the footpaths around this intersection have been widened considerably as part of the works.
The new northbound surface road between Torrens Rd and Pym St looked almost complete as of Wednesday.

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#2057 Post by mawsonguy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:24 pm

I found this image on the T2T alliance website (not in their gallery but as a header to a news story). It's interesting as it clearly shows the excavation under the Grange Rd bridge.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2058 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:07 pm

rockthenation wrote:Does anyone know if that derelict looking building next to Croydon Motors near the corner of South Rd & Hawker St is being demolished?
The front verandah was removed from it a few months back but nothing since then.
Hopefully. It's been an eyesore for over a decade.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2059 Post by monotonehell » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:23 pm

rockthenation wrote:Does anyone know if that derelict looking building next to Croydon Motors near the corner of South Rd & Hawker St is being demolished?
The front verandah was removed from it a few months back but nothing since then.
You complain about that building but ignore Croydon Motors itself? :lol: Both should be removed.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

rockthenation
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2060 Post by rockthenation » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:14 am

monotonehell wrote:
You complain about that building but ignore Croydon Motors itself? :lol: Both should be removed.
Haha, very true that, how could I forget!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2061 Post by rev » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:33 pm

You mean the one on the corner? That used to be a bank before laying vacant for a while before it was turned into a small doctors practice and then being vacant now for many years.
I think there may have been some other business in there after the doctors practice but cant remember exactly, I do remember some activity but no signage or anything to indicate what was going on.
That would be an ideal site for a non-OTR servo to provide some competition and value for people in the area, who are surrounded by OTR's in every direction.

ChillyPhilly

#2062 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:37 am

rev wrote:

You mean the one on the corner? That used to be a bank before laying vacant for a while before it was turned into a small doctors practice and then being vacant now for many years.
I think there may have been some other business in there after the doctors practice but cant remember exactly, I do remember some activity but no signage or anything to indicate what was going on.
That would be an ideal site for a non-OTR servo to provide some competition and value for people in the area, who are surrounded by OTR's in every direction.
I think it may have been a vet for a while.

alexczarn wrote: The new northbound surface road between Torrens Rd and Pym St looked almost complete as of Wednesday.
I saw it open to some northbound traffic yesterday afternoon, but when heading home last night, it seemed closed, with northbound traffic reverting to the original northbound South Road.

Ser Noit of Loit
High Rise Poster!

#2063 Post by Ser Noit of Loit » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:21 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
SouthAussie94 wrote:If the motorway to the north of ANZAC Hwy is going to be trenched, then it's likely the Northern ramp of the underpass will need to be reworked. Assuming the motorway is also trenched to the South, this ramp would also need to be reworked.

These reworked sections could be made wider, leaving only a relatively short 400-500m section that is narrow with no shoulders.

Does anyone have an estimate of how wide the cladding on the walls of the underpass is? Removing this could add another few hundred mm's.
Surely it will be reworked. When driving in either direction along there, the gradient never really feels suitable for 80 km/h, let alone the proposed design speed of 90 k's.

Here's the spare land:
What spare land do you mean?

arki
High Rise Poster!

#2064 Post by arki » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:39 pm

Ser Noit of Loit wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:
SouthAussie94 wrote:If the motorway to the north of ANZAC Hwy is going to be trenched, then it's likely the Northern ramp of the underpass will need to be reworked. Assuming the motorway is also trenched to the South, this ramp would also need to be reworked.

These reworked sections could be made wider, leaving only a relatively short 400-500m section that is narrow with no shoulders.

Does anyone have an estimate of how wide the cladding on the walls of the underpass is? Removing this could add another few hundred mm's.
Surely it will be reworked. When driving in either direction along there, the gradient never really feels suitable for 80 km/h, let alone the proposed design speed of 90 k's.

Here's the spare land:
I think he means the landscaped areas between the ramps and the sunken roadway.
As someone who regularly drives through the underpass there is definitely a lot of space to tweak the layout/design in future.

ChillyPhilly

#2065 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:49 pm

arki wrote:
Ser Noit of Loit wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote: Surely it will be reworked. When driving in either direction along there, the gradient never really feels suitable for 80 km/h, let alone the proposed design speed of 90 k's.

Here's the spare land:
I think he means the landscaped areas between the ramps and the sunken roadway.
As someone who regularly drives through the underpass there is definitely a lot of space to tweak the layout/design in future.
That counts as well, but I was more referring to the land to the west of the northbound on-ramp.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#2066 Post by SouthAussie94 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:50 pm

Mimosa Terrace at Darlington will be closed from from this coming Monday until late July so that they can start construction of the Mimosa/Sutton bridge.

There's also significant speed and lane restrictions at the Sturt Rd intersection this weekend. They've been constructing the new north bound surface road between Flinders Dr and Mimosa for the past few months. These lane restrictions may at a guess be related to this.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

ChillyPhilly

#2067 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:42 am

Nearmap has been updated. 17 March.

There's quite a bit of excavation around Grange Road/Manton Street.

Llessur2002

#2068 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:39 pm

Traffic switch on to Port Road bridge

From 7pm Friday 7 April to 6am Monday 10 April 2017, weather permitting, works will be undertaken to open the new northbound surface road on South Road between Port Road and Henry Street, traffic will also be switched on to the new Port Road bridge. This will allow excavation of the lowered motorway under Port Road bridge to commence.

Temporary traffic arrangements during the traffic switch

During the traffic switch:

• No right turns will be permitted in any direction at the South Road intersection with Port Road.
• Motorists on South Road will not be able to proceed through the South Road intersection with Port Road.
• Motorists will be required to use the u-turn facilities on Port Road, near Coglin Street and at Queen Street, to continue travelling northbound or southbound on South Road, or to travel eastbound or westbound on Port Road.
• Left turn movements from South Road into Port Road will be maintained.
• Signage will be in place to direct motorists and alternative routes will be in place for light and heavy vehicles.
• Existing pedestrian access will be maintained at the South Road intersection with Port Road with assistance from traffic controllers.
• Cyclist access will be available via the local detours.
• Bus routes will not be impacted.

Traffic arrangements following the traffic switch

From 6am Monday 10 April 2017, following the traffic switch on to the Port Road bridge, some changes in traffic conditions will apply at the South Road intersection with Port Road:

• All current turning movements will be available to motorists at the new, signalised intersection.
• Northbound motorists on South Road will travel on the new northbound surface road under the Outer Harbor rail overpass.
• Robert Street will be open at South Road to northbound traffic for ‘left in/left out’ movements only.
• Motorists wishing to turn right from South Road into Port Road will continue to use the u-turn facilities at Queen Street and at Coglin Street.
• Signalised pedestrian access will be maintained at the intersection on both sides of South Road and on the northern side only of Port Road.
• On-road cyclist routes will be maintained on both sides of Port Road.
• Bus routes will not be impacted.
South Road/Pym Street intersection final design

The design for the South Road/Pym Street intersection has been finalised. After consultation with the community, local businesses and the City of Port Adelaide Enfield, it was concluded that significant safety and traffic performance improvements could be achieved by removing right turns from South Road into Pym Street for both northbound and southbound traffic.

From 6am Monday 3 April 2017:

• Right turn movements from South Road into Pym Street (northbound and southbound) will not be permitted. All other traffic movements at the South Road intersection with Pym Street will be maintained.
• Right turn movements for northbound traffic from South Road into Overland Road will not be permitted. Left turn movements in and out of Overland Road will be maintained. Overland Road will remain permanently closed on the western side of South Road.
• Auburn Crescent has been permanently closed to motorists on the western side of South Road. Pedestrian access from South Road to Auburn Crescent has been maintained.
• Pedestrian access will be retained at the South Road signalised intersection with Pym Street.
• There will be no impact on existing Public Transport Services.
The concept design for the Torrens Road to River Torrens Project has been updated to include the access arrangements associated with the final design for the South Road/Pym Street intersection. To view the updated concept design, please visit: http://www.t2talliance.com.au
http://www.t2talliance.com.au/wp88/wp-c ... ersion.pdf

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#2069 Post by how good is he » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:21 pm

Ok its great that right turns will be prohibited in/out from Pym St.. I think it shows also that the traffic lights are removed - which is the ideal outcome.
My only other thing I never understood is why the paver/stone centre on South Rd, West Hindmarsh near the River Torrens/opp. Adam St was never compulsorily acquired as this would make so much difference to the width esp. the start & finish of the T2.

Llessur2002

#2070 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:25 pm

North carriageway progress shot from the end of Robert Street.