[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#2461 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:02 pm

Norman wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:06 pm
Could it be the case that the Port River Expressway is only an expressway by name? Usually they have signs indicating that the expressway is starting, including a sign that tells you what is and is not allowed on the expressway. I have seen them when you enter the Superway but not when you travel along Salisbury Highway and exter the PREXY.
Spot on - hence it's A9 not M9.

Bike lanes, an at grade intersection and the opening bridge sees it become an Expressway in name only.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#2462 Post by Kasey771 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:42 am

Goodsy wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:49 pm
rev wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:41 pm

It's against the law to ride your bike on an expressway. There's even big white signs with black writing that say so. Cyclists are morons.

http://mylicence.sa.gov.au/road-rules/t ... k/freeways
if that's the case, then why is there bike lanes and bike crossings all along the PREXY?
When large road projects are being proposed they often include bicycle infrastructure in the artists rendering and sometime even say they intend to include it in press releases, but in my experiece, bicycle infrastructure is often cut (quietly once the project has been given the go ahead) so that money can be rolled back into making the road longer or wider. That might have happened here and the markings were a post-fact sop to the bicycle lobby to shut them up after culling a proper bike path? That would explain why the bike markings are very haphazard and inconsistent.
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2463 Post by SBD » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:24 am

Kasey771 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:42 am
Goodsy wrote:
rev wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:41 pm

It's against the law to ride your bike on an expressway. There's even big white signs with black writing that say so. Cyclists are morons.

http://mylicence.sa.gov.au/road-rules/t ... k/freeways
if that's the case, then why is there bike lanes and bike crossings all along the PREXY?
When large road projects are being proposed they often include bicycle infrastructure in the artists rendering and sometime even say they intend to include it in press releases, but in my experiece, bicycle infrastructure is often cut (quietly once the project has been given the go ahead) so that money can be rolled back into making the road longer or wider. That might have happened here and the markings were a post-fact sop to the bicycle lobby to shut them up after culling a proper bike path? That would explain why the bike markings are very haphazard and inconsistent.
If it was ever in the plan for a shared path near PRexy, it was dropped quite early. I don't recall any discussion of it. The project brochure only mentions a shared path for Stage 2 (the bridge over the Port River), not Stage 1 (the main road from Salisbury Highway to Port Adelaide).

Listy
High Rise Poster!

#2464 Post by Listy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:01 pm

SBD wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:24 am
Kasey771 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:42 am
Goodsy wrote:

If it was ever in the plan for a shared path near PRexy, it was dropped quite early. I don't recall any discussion of it. The project brochure only mentions a shared path for Stage 2 (the bridge over the Port River), not Stage 1 (the main road from Salisbury Highway to Port Adelaide).
There's a summary of the public consultation (including, but not limited to bike paths) that took place in late 2000 - early 2001 in the environmental report www.dtei.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_fi ... age_02.pdf. Ultimately it appears DTEI decided that no one would want to commute between Port Adelaide and suburbs to the east, so why bother with a separated shared use path along the main stretch of road. Recreational demand was completely ignored also.
Jump to today & there's now reasonable numbers of commuters riding between the Port & places like Mawson Lakes (or vice versa), with no alternative option but to use the Port River 'Expressway', and if this bit of separated path was completed as initially planned and linked with the planned NEXY shared path, then there would be ~120km of bitumised, shared path (almost unbroken, there's a few short stretches on quiet side streets here and there) linking the Mclaren Vale wine region with Gawler via the Adelaide coastline. Long cycle paths like that very popular for tourists interstate & overseas, so I could see it being a successful drawcard here too, especially if extended into the Barossa.

rhino

#2465 Post by rhino » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:23 pm

Listy wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:01 pm
Jump to today & there's now reasonable numbers of commuters riding between the Port & places like Mawson Lakes (or vice versa), with no alternative option but to use the Port River 'Expressway', and if this bit of separated path was completed as initially planned and linked with the planned NEXY shared path, then there would be ~120km of bitumised, shared path (almost unbroken, there's a few short stretches on quiet side streets here and there) linking the Mclaren Vale wine region with Gawler via the Adelaide coastline. Long cycle paths like that very popular for tourists interstate & overseas, so I could see it being a successful drawcard here too, especially if extended into the Barossa.
It already extends to The Barossa - the Jack Bobridge Bikeway is a 40km long sealed path linking Gawler and Angaston via the Barossa Valley.
cheers,
Rhino

Listy
High Rise Poster!

#2466 Post by Listy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:44 pm

rhino wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:23 pm
Listy wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:01 pm
It already extends to The Barossa - the Jack Bobridge Bikeway is a 40km long sealed path linking Gawler and Angaston via the Barossa Valley.
So it does! For some reason I'd thought that bikeway was mostly unsealed, like the Reisling trail in Clare. All the more reason to get that 5-6kms along the PREXY constructed..
Back to South Rd related works, there's been a resumption of work at the bridge over the Torrens in the last week or two, so hopefully the bridge deck for the new lane isn't too far away from installation.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2467 Post by rev » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:58 pm

If a bikeway off the road means less lycra idiots on the roads, where can I make a donation?

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#2468 Post by Eurostar » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:27 pm

rev wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:58 pm
If a bikeway off the road means less lycra idiots on the roads, where can I make a donation?
As an occasional cyclist , I prefer to ride on paths than ride on bike lane (especially on main roads)

SBD

#2469 Post by SBD » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:57 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:27 pm
rev wrote:
As an occasional cyclist , I prefer to ride on paths than ride on bike lane (especially on main roads)
I guess the ones Rev is referring to either made an informed decision that the Expressway was quicker and shorter than any available alternatives, or naive enough to follow the Cycle Instead advice or road signs that didn't offer better cycling alternatives for their journey. As a cyclist, once you are on a road like that, there are limited opportunities to change your mind, especially if you are riding somewhere for the first time, and only know where you would drive.

I'm also an occasional cyclist, and haven't been on the PRExy, but I've been caught on other not-really-good-for-cycling roads without knowlege of alternatives, and also been up dead ends trying to avoid the main road I know about (including PRExy).

I don't know anyone who would choose to ride on main roads "just for the fun of it" if there are quieter alternatives nearby.

rev

#2470 Post by rev » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:07 am

Eurostar wrote:
rev wrote:
I would like to say that most mornings when I've been in the city this week and last, all the cyclists I've seen, the big groups of at least a dozen, have been doing the right thing.
I'm not sure if they are pro riders from the TDU or the regular locals or a mix.
But its good to see for a change, cyclists in lycra doing the right thing, like not hogging the road, actually STOPPING and WAITING at red lights and not riding through intersections when they've got a red light.
If only this could continue, or rub off on the locals...

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2471 Post by Norman » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:48 pm

The VMS on South Road (Northbound) near Port Road is now active, showing travel times to Regency Road and PREXY. It's obviously another full coloured one.

Waewick

#2472 Post by Waewick » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:36 pm

rev wrote:
Eurostar wrote:
rev wrote:
I would like to say that most mornings when I've been in the city this week and last, all the cyclists I've seen, the big groups of at least a dozen, have been doing the right thing.
I'm not sure if they are pro riders from the TDU or the regular locals or a mix.
But its good to see for a change, cyclists in lycra doing the right thing, like not hogging the road, actually STOPPING and WAITING at red lights and not riding through intersections when they've got a red light.
As a non rider it would also be excellent if these lofty standards could ve applied to our local awful drivers.

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#2473 Post by drsmith » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:30 pm

A DPTI Capital Works Program fro 2017 has Regency Road to Pym St delivered by the end of Q4 2020/21 (June 30 2021).

https://dpti.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pd ... 817_HQ.pdf

This is subject to funding which I'd suggest is likely given the upcoming state election.

DPTI Capital Works Program Latest News and Publications,

https://dpti.sa.gov.au/DPTI_Capital_Wor ... blications

rev

#2474 Post by rev » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:34 am

Waewick wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:36 pm
rev wrote:
Eurostar wrote:

As a non rider it would also be excellent if these lofty standards could ve applied to our local awful drivers.
Motorists already are, through licensing and registration, and insurance.

SBD

#2475 Post by SBD » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:37 am

rev wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:34 am
Waewick wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:36 pm
rev wrote:
Motorists already are, through licensing and registration, and insurance.
A licenced driver has demonstrated (with a decreasing number of elderly exceptions) that they know what the rules are and how to follow them. Unfortunately, that does not mean that everyone always follows the rules, wither they are driving or riding.