[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#2071 Post by rev » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:33 pm

how good is he wrote:Ok its great that right turns will be prohibited in/out from Pym St.. I think it shows also that the traffic lights are removed - which is the ideal outcome.
My only other thing I never understood is why the paver/stone centre on South Rd, West Hindmarsh near the River Torrens/opp. Adam St was never compulsorily acquired as this would make so much difference to the width esp. the start & finish of the T2.
The only good thing about preventing right hand turns from Pym St is that it wont turn those back streets and Days Road from turning into alternative routes to get onto the motorway.
What it will do though is push that traffic out to Regency Road.
Now go for a drive to the Regency/Days road intersection at peak hour in the evening rush home. The signal sequence frequency needs to be changed at the very least so there is a smoother flow of traffic. There also needs to be better co-ordination with the signals further up at the south road intersection until they redevelop that section as well because vehicles are bottle necking from the intersection back towards Days Road.

And true. All that's left there before the Brickworks, is the paving center and three other small properties.
Maybe that's part of the next stage? Take those out and there's plenty of room for further widening up until the next intersection. Then things get interesting or complicated with the new community center, and lots of heritage listed properties down that stretch. I think they are state or local council listed though.
But you know what, those houses, see ya later, they need to go. Take photos, put them in the State Library with photos of other "historical" buildings, and build the damn motorway that's been sorely needed for half a century.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2072 Post by Norman » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:13 am

There is also an updated concept design, which includes the recent changes at Pym Street:

http://www.t2talliance.com.au/wp88/wp-c ... 170327.pdf

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#2073 Post by drsmith » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:15 am

Nearmap have updated their imagery to March 17 and 18.

The demo area which just includes the South Road/Grange Road intersection shows the excavation which has commenced under the new bridge. Further north, it looks like substantive work on the ground for the Northern Connector has only commenced in the southern interchange area as at that date. This is as viewed at lower resolution as the demo login allows.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2074 Post by Ben » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:21 am

If no funds are committed to a further stage in next months federal budget I guess we can give up hope of a continuous build. Tony Abbot committed to this and said the whole North South corridor would be complete by 2025, without their funding this own't happen. Now would be a good time for the state government to be lobbying for this funding.

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#2075 Post by drsmith » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:43 pm

Ben wrote:If no funds are committed to a further stage in next months federal budget I guess we can give up hope of a continuous build. Tony Abbot committed to this and said the whole North South corridor would be complete by 2025, without their funding this own't happen.
Complete by 2025 was never going to happen given the huge cost. Crap from Tony Abbott from the start.

The state though hasn't done too bad to have to have three simultaneous builds on the corridor. I give credit to Jay Wetherill to take the federal funding and build, unlike the new state government here in Western Australia whom in my view honestly need.............., I can't say, as it's not suitable for a G-rated forum.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#2076 Post by SouthAussie94 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:15 pm

Construction at Darlington is ramping up, particularly at the SEXY/South Rd intersection. Works to construct two bridges have been underway there since October when traffic was moved to the eastern side of the corridor. Within the past week, the above ground section of the bridge piles have begun to be poured. At last count this afternoon, four appeared to be complete, or close to completion. Form work was in place for further concrete pours.

All portions of the median strip north of Sturt road have been removed within the past fortnight. This has now been bitumised.

Service relocation works are still underway on Sturt road. Over the past weekend, speed and lane restrictions were in place, with works concentrated on Sturt Rd to the east of South Rd.

Mimosa Terrace and Sutton Road remain closed.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Bacon
High Rise Poster!

#2077 Post by Bacon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:16 am

fishinajar wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:Does anyone have photos of this "art"?
So far they resemble oversized bus shelters...
They've installed some more further north, I think they could be noise shields as they are backing onto peoples backyards.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2078 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:29 am

drsmith wrote:Nearmap have updated their imagery to March 17 and 18.

The demo area which just includes the South Road/Grange Road intersection shows the excavation which has commenced under the new bridge. Further north, it looks like substantive work on the ground for the Northern Connector has only commenced in the southern interchange area as at that date. This is as viewed at lower resolution as the demo login allows.
I posted two cool screenshots of this a couple pages back, have a look. :cheers:
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#2079 Post by fishinajar » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:08 pm

Bacon wrote:
fishinajar wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:Does anyone have photos of this "art"?
So far they resemble oversized bus shelters...
They've installed some more further north, I think they could be noise shields as they are backing onto peoples backyards.
Good thinking. Probably right.

bits
Legendary Member!

#2080 Post by bits » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:10 pm

fishinajar wrote:
Bacon wrote: They've installed some more further north, I think they could be noise shields as they are backing onto peoples backyards.
Good thinking. Probably right.
I think you will find there is a massive amount of property with their backyard now backing on to the concrete noise barrier of the North-South Motorway.
Why would there be a lucky 3 with and an unlucky 50 without?

I think it is simply "art".

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2081 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:13 am

Let's see if the said art gets painted.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2082 Post by rev » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:54 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:Let's see if the said art gets painted.
Knowing what some of the people who still reside in the area are like, you may have seen stobie poles painted with flowers and whatever, it probably wont be long before they are trying to paint things on T2T as well..

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#2083 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:57 pm

rev wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:Let's see if the said art gets painted.
Knowing what some of the people who still reside in the area are like, you may have seen stobie poles painted with flowers and whatever, it probably wont be long before they are trying to paint things on T2T as well..
They already are with 'artwork' constantly being put on the new rail bridge.

I think if it was legit art (even decent street art) it would look fine and fit in with the area.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2084 Post by Norman » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:57 pm

Cars are now passing through the new north-bound lanes as we speak.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2085 Post by Norman » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:20 pm

New north-bound lanes on the "Surface" South Road opened in the last few hours.

For those wondering why the noise walls had gaps... they have now been filled in with glass or plastic.