[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3736 Post by Norman » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:59 am

Eurostar wrote:Will 230/232 bus routes have to change route?

To arndale via

1) Torrens Road, South Road, Regency Road
2) Torrens Road, Days Road, Regency Road

Or have 251~254 run via

1) Hawker Street, South Road, Regency Road

With the 230,232 running direct via Torrens Road
The changes for the bus were still being discussed when they last had a community engagement day. They may keep the same route but do a U-Turn at either Torrens Road or Regency Road depending on the direction.

ralmin
Gold-Member ;)

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3737 Post by ralmin » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:44 pm

The Advertiser reports "the North-South Corridor is a step closer to completion, with Tuesday’s State Budget to include $252 million for planning works on the troublesome final 10.5km stretch." Now known as the River Torrens to Darlington Upgrade Project. Options include a 2-lane tunnel, 3-lane lowered motorway or 3-lane at-grade motorway.

Video: https://srkb.net/t2d/video.mp4

Tunnel:

Ramp:

Source:
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... c8b05e82b6

Vasco
High Rise Poster!

[U/C] North-South Motorway

#3738 Post by Vasco » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:45 pm

SA State Budget: Funds for final stage of North-South Corridor
Sunday Mail - June 16, 2019

The tricky final 10.5km stretch of the North-South Corridor will receive a big funding boost in this week’s State Budget.

The State and Federal Government have each tipped in $126 million towards planning and early works for the last stretch of the corridor, between the River Torrens and Darlington.

The Government is still considering three solutions for the stretch that runs through built-up suburbs and commercial districts just north and south of Anzac Highway, a super tunnel, a hybrid option of two and a tunnel-free overpass design similar to the Torrens to Torrens build.

Premier Steven Marshall said the funds being included in the State Budget was a sign of the Government’s commitment to completing a non-stop freeway between Gawler and Old Noarlunga.

“Our opponents say if it’s not in the forward estimates then it’s not happening, well now we’ve secured money into the forward estimates for this project,” he said.

Transport Minister Stephan Knoll said a report identifying the best way forward was “a couple of months away” and then work would begin in earnest.

But a final completion date for the stretch linking the troubled Darlington Upgrade with the Torrens to Torrens cannot be known until a final option is ticked off.

“But we do have $252 million inside the forward estimates to get going,” Mr Knoll said.

“This project is committed to and will get off the ground and in those 2022 and 2023 years we will see work begin in earnest on digging what we need to dig to get this road built.”

Mr Knoll said the longer time frame was needed because of the amount of land acquisition involved in completing the last stretch.

“We’re committed to getting this right, we’re not going to be rushed,” he said.

This is an intergenerational opportunity, we’re making decisions today that will have ramifications for decades to come.”

MORE TO COME.

Artist impression only, but still using an image of 2 lane tunnel FFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3739 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:52 pm

They're obviously ignoring the findings of the Scoping Report.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#3740 Post by mattwinter » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:59 pm

Sounds like the announcement is really just about the money being put aside, and no closer to finding out what the final solution will be. I'd think they would end up going with a bit of a hybrid with some sections being a trench and a few tunnels in particularly tricky areas? Just hope they think carefully about key interchanges with other major roads e.g. how it will connect to Sir Donald Bradman, Cross Road and Anzac Highway. I'm hoping grade seperating the Seaford line from Cross Road will end up being part of the solution.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3741 Post by SRW » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:19 pm

It really feels like this is getting no further along. It's just announcements and re-annoucements of funding and planning. I guess I'm naïve about DPTI's processes, but with all the studies so far, I'm surprised we need yet another to decide an option. Do they need to update assumptions, go further in-depth or were earlier millions on planning wasted? I'd've thought we'd be at the point of knowing a tunnel was (presumably) the best option and could now commence design and construction.
Keep Adelaide Weird

SBD

#3742 Post by SBD » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:55 pm

SRW wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:19 pm
It really feels like this is getting no further along. It's just announcements and re-annoucements of funding and planning. I guess I'm naïve about DPTI's processes, but with all the studies so far, I'm surprised we need yet another to decide an option. Do they need to update assumptions, go further in-depth or were earlier millions on planning wasted? I'd've thought we'd be at the point of knowing a tunnel was (presumably) the best option and could now commence design and construction.
A long bored tunnel was originally not even an option, so any consideration of a tunnel needs new work until (if) it is ruled out again.

The original plan had a cut-and-cover tunnel in the vicinity of Henley Beach Road and Sir Donald Bradman Drive, and Superway-style elevated roadway from north of Cross Road to the Darlington project. This might still turn out to be the best option, even though Labor was in government when it was first proposed.

The rough location of interchanges was identified in the 10-year plan. I think it was one near the Torrens and one just north of Richmond Road, then I guess one near Cross Road.

I imagine that digging needs to have started at the northern end before the next election, as that is in Tom Koutsantonis' electorate. He seems strangely quiet about the prospect of a freeway across the middle of it.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#3743 Post by NTRabbit » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:10 pm

SRW wrote:
Earlier plans were created for the previous Labor government, and as everything they ever commissioned or touched is immediately discarded by the Liberal government to avoid catching political cooties, DPTI have to do it again.

At least, that's the most likely reason.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#3744 Post by muzzamo » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:43 pm

I know they mentioned it for being planning AND early works, but $252 million seems like a hell of a lot for planning.

An optimistic way of looking it is that it’s only 5% of the total project cost...

But a pessimistic way of looking at it is that if it’s being spent on consultants at say $2000/day, then it’s enough for 126,000 man hours of consulting, or a small army of 345 consultants going for 12 months.

Furyan
Gold-Member ;)

#3745 Post by Furyan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:59 pm

muzzamo wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:43 pm
I know they mentioned it for being planning AND early works, but $252 million seems like a hell of a lot for planning.

An optimistic way of looking it is that it’s only 5% of the total project cost...

But a pessimistic way of looking at it is that if it’s being spent on consultants at say $2000/day, then it’s enough for 126,000 man hours of consulting, or a small army of 345 consultants going for 12 months.
Early works is currently going on at the R2P and includes land purchases and demolition etc.

It was estimated in 2015 to buy land north of Anzac highway to T2T it would cost $375 million.

So this amount in the forward estimates would not be enough for all of the early works required for a non-tunnel version for this section.

[Shuz]

#3746 Post by [Shuz] » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:26 pm

$250m surely would have to include property acquisition for any property that is affected by all three options being investigated - particularly at the River Torrens end of T2T and near interchanges at SDBR/HBR and and at Cross Roads.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Furyan
Gold-Member ;)

#3747 Post by Furyan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:45 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:26 pm
$250m surely would have to include property acquisition for any property that is affected by all three options being investigated - particularly at the River Torrens end of T2T and near interchanges at SDBR/HBR and and at Cross Roads.
All three options are still covered but $252 million for property acquisition from the T2T would not get much past SDB Drive for a trench option.

It would most likely be enough to get to Anzac Highway at least for the tunnel version.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#3748 Post by how good is he » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:02 am

Anyone know approx how many properties would be need to be acquired [or have a guess at the approx value] for a trench option for the 10.2km? Obviously there are many big properties/commercial businesses but based on say an average 700-800 sqm land and say $500k for a home and $1m for a commercial property/business the average is say $750k. So for $252m it may pay for 336 property acquisitions. Obviously there are planning costs etc so maybe they could acquire approx. 300 properties all up? How far do you think that will get them?

croweater888
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3749 Post by croweater888 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:10 am

NTRabbit wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:10 pm
SRW wrote:
Earlier plans were created for the previous Labor government, and as everything they ever commissioned or touched is immediately discarded by the Liberal government to avoid catching political cooties, DPTI have to do it again.

At least, that's the most likely reason.
There were no plans made by DPTI under Labor, that was the problem.

DPTI are adhering to a time frame they released to the media back in March.

EIS, planning approval and major procurement begin in June/July 2019.
Service relocation, design and implementation begin January 2020.
Detailed design released 2022.
Construction begins 2023.

The funding is for point 1 and some of 2.

kymbosa
High Rise Poster!

#3750 Post by kymbosa » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:53 am

Confirmed by Marshall this morning on Adelaide Radio, this road construction won’t start this term. Which means we will have re-announcement of the re-announcement, how many times will this be announced before the work actually starts. it’s very clear that it won’t be done this side of the next state election so I guess we will have at least 4 more announcements, over the next couple of Fed budgets and State ones.