COM: Adelaide Airport Carpark & Pedestrian Plaza

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
talrok
High Rise Poster!

Re: #UC: 5 lvl Car Park & Pedestrian Plaza - Adelaide Airpor

#181 Post by talrok » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:29 am

Why don't they have two lanes for drop off/pick up .. ie. one on the left (as now), two driving lanes (as now) and add a 4th lane on the right as a further drop off/pick up lane. Add two zebra crossings in there somewhere and then people can be spread out on the other side as well as the current side (which was absolutely packed yesterday .. and what's with allowing TAXI's to drop off/pick up there!!!!!) .. usually after calling someone to pick us up we always have a bit of time up our sleeves and it would be easy to cross over to the other side if you so wish .. this should have been done even at the old pick-up spot.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#182 Post by rev » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:18 pm

bm7500 wrote:there will always be those who like to have a whinge.
In Adelaide especially. :lol:

The whole redevelopment isn't complete yet, I suggest people wait till it's finished to complain about it or certain aspects of it.
As mentioned above, the drop off/pick up area is not completely open yet.
I'm sure there are other aspects of this which will change and make it much more user friendly then the construction site it still remains.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#183 Post by AtD » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:15 am

So this is finished now? Any photos?

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#184 Post by Xaragmata » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:34 am

AtD wrote:So this is finished now? Any photos?
Finishing touches, landscaping and roadworks still under way - looks like the water tower has been demolished. From Friday:

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#185 Post by Maximus » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:54 am

Any updates on the operation/efficiency/functionality of the new pick-up/drop-off area? I've heard unconfirmed reports that it's still "chaos", etc, but I'm not inclined to believe anything until I hear from my trusty S-A colleagues. :)
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#186 Post by bm7500 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:13 am

Maximus wrote:Any updates on the operation/efficiency/functionality of the new pick-up/drop-off area? I've heard unconfirmed reports that it's still "chaos", etc, but I'm not inclined to believe anything until I hear from my trusty S-A colleagues. :)
I have been through the airport several times since the new car park has opened and chaos it isn't. Sure its quite busy and the whole 'porte cochere' isn't fully accessible but the important thing to note is that people are still mixing it with buses, taxi's, limo's, etc. This is set to change as soon as the dedicated drop off/pickup areas for these 'passenger transport vehicles' is opened on the Western side of the plaza.

So it's probably best that people reserve judgment until that is fully operational.
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

build 'em smarter
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#187 Post by build 'em smarter » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:22 am

Maximus wrote:Any updates on the operation/efficiency/functionality of the new pick-up/drop-off area? I've heard unconfirmed reports that it's still "chaos", etc, but I'm not inclined to believe anything until I hear from my trusty S-A colleagues. :)
Have been a few time to pick up people, if you park on level 2 and passengers only have carry on luggage you walk straight from the terminal across the bridge to your car on the same level and out. works really well. If you have to go downstairs to get luggage then you walk across the plaza at ground level and up to the lift to your level. still faster than walking miles to your car like before.

Havent used the drop off/pick up zone so dont know how that is working out.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#188 Post by Maximus » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:48 am

Thanks guys. Good to hear.

One reason I ask is because it was raised at a Senate estimates hearing last week. Also, AtD, this:
AtD wrote:I still don't understand why Adelaide has to have a distance between vehicles and the terminals while Canberra's new terminal doesn't.
was discussed, too. I think you've raised it a couple of times now. The full text of the exchange (below) sheds some light on the reason for the new arrangement in Adelaide, but still doesn't answer the question about Canberra Airport. We may get some more information in the answers to the 'questions on notice'. I'll keep an eye out for that.
Extract of hansard from Senate rural and regional affairs and transport legislation committee estimates hearing, 16 Oct '12:

Senator XENOPHON: Adelaide airport has recently changed the arrangements for the dropping off of passengers. Passengers are now dropped off a fair distance from the terminal although passengers can be picked up by taxis downstairs on the ground floor of the terminal. Was that done as a result of a security issue? At Melbourne and Sydney airports passengers can be dropped off right in front of the terminal.

Mr Mrdak: There are increasingly security issues being built into the better design of terminals. I will ask Mr Retter to talk about that because in the design concepts for future terminals we are looking at how we minimise the risk of attack from vehicles being utilised at the front of house.

Mr Retter: As the secretary indicated, there are factors which where possible should be incorporated into the design of airports to mitigate against the threat of an explosion or some sort of device being used at the public area of transport facilities around Australia. In the case of Adelaide airport, one of the many considerations was to look at the issue of stand-off distances. There is a figure, a number of metres, that is recommended where possible and is incorporated in the new design of the Adelaide airport extensions, the car park and the link. That figure was one of the many considerations that Adelaide airport made to redesign the airport.

Senator XENOPHON: Does that mean for Sydney and Melbourne airports, where passengers can be dropped at the front of the terminal, that will also change eventually?

Mr Retter: I think it is the view of the department that where any airport is redesigning or rebuilding its facilities, where we can accommodate an improved security outcome as part of the redesign of the airport we should do that as part of the process, because it is our view that where it is feasible to do it at not an exorbitant cost this is the approach we should take. In other words, we should do it at the front end as opposed to trying to retrofit security in areas—

Senator XENOPHON: Because of time constraints, and I promised the chair, I might get a briefing on this, because it is an issue of great inconvenience to passengers. If we are looking at a terrorist attack, there are still lots of people in the area where they are being dropped off, so—

Mr Mrdak: There has been a lot of work done by the RTS on issues such as areas where there is mass public gathering and what distances are, so—

Senator XENOPHON: Try getting dropped off at Adelaide airport. It is chaos there.

Senator EDWARDS: It is mayhem.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#189 Post by UrbanSG » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Drama, drama, drama ...

It isn't even finished and people can't help but whinge.

Stupid questions from Senetor X. What does he think Adelaide Airport chose to spend millions of dollars for the fun of it? Anyone could tell it has been to improve security measures after the 2007 Glasgow Airport car bombing that occurred right at the front of that terminal.

I'd rather deal with a few teething problems and delays at an airport than get bombed FFS!

[Shuz]

#190 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:49 pm

It's ridiculous that they've changed the drop-off/pickup arrangements all in the name of 'terrorism' prevention. As Xenophon said, even if a car bomb went off where it did now, it would still cause harm to many people concentrated in the drop-off/pickup area, what's the difference? Adelaide isn't even a target for god's sake!

Just a thought, consider how easy it is actually to drive a car into the Adelaide Railway Station entrances. Should we block off the whole of North Terrace to prevent this from happening? No! It's a ridiculous notion.

Same principle applies to the airport.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#191 Post by Wayno » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:53 pm

I've used the new facilities a few times now for parking and pick up/drop off. Never any problems. Some people obviously don't like change.

Having to walk 20 metres - oh the humanity!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#192 Post by UrbanSG » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:59 pm

The difference is they'd much rather blow up a car in a drop-off and pick-up area that is located right adjacent the terminal building so that it actually damages the terminal as well which is actually what happened in Glasgow. The damage to the terminal wasn't significant but that is what they were aiming for.

A bombing in a car park and drop-off and pick-up area doesn't quiet match destroying a portion of the terminal too. They are trying to inflict significant property damage as well.

Adelaide isn't even a target? We might not have been targeted as yet but basically all of the western world is a target ... unfortunately we are still at war overseas!

waz94
Gold-Member ;)

#193 Post by waz94 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:18 pm

Where is Glascow?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#194 Post by monotonehell » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:24 pm

waz94 wrote:Where is Glascow?
http://bit.ly/Thqk5V
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Nort

#195 Post by Nort » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:10 pm

I think it's a shame that the dropoff/pickup areas right at the terminal doors are being lost, but can see why they are doing it. The ramp up to the upper level was quite unique and interesting in my opinion.

That said, I'll reserve judgement until the work is completed. It all depends on how the plaza turns out. If the plaza is a lively nice space, then it won't be an issue. It's if it turns into a concrete wasteland between the terminal and carpark that things will feel like a downgrade.