COM: Adelaide Airport Carpark & Pedestrian Plaza

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: U/C: Adelaide Airport Carpark & Pedestrian Plaza

#241 Post by rhino » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:27 am

Interesting photos Norman - especially that last one of one of the Faceless Men we keep hearing about.
cheers,
Rhino

[Shuz]

#242 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:51 am

Wow. Spectacular improvement on what was before. Will have to go down and see for myself in person -put that on the do to do list next time I go to Ikea.

Thanks for the photos Norman!
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#243 Post by crawf » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:28 am

Hard believe that is Adelaide. Very impressive photos Norman, great work!

BTW I like the look of that new bus stop aswell.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#244 Post by bm7500 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:36 am

It will look even better again at night once the LED lighting is commissioned. :)
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#245 Post by crawf » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:00 pm

I do wonder if this new canopy will form 'A', which could be part of a future new logo?. The current logo is old and doesn't fit with the modern airport ADL now is.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#246 Post by Matt » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:46 pm

Agree with the point about the logo. The 'A' with the plane taking off is dated.

ChillyPhilly

#247 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:05 am

SAR526 wrote:
SRW wrote:Thanks for the photos Xara. The plaza is shaping up to be seriously impressive.
On the whole, I endorse SRW's comment. Nevertheless the last of Xaragmata's pictures was taken from the public transport island which is as far from the terminal's passenger portals as it is possible to be while still part of the complex. Note the right angled zebra crossing across a bus park. Note the lack of shelter. And, although it is behind the camera, why is the present bus shelter so nondescript and completely at odds with the rest of the buildings? It doesn't even have directional signage visible from the lift area. Only the presence of a bus, which has passed him as he leaves the lift and often leaves just as the intending passenger reaches it from the rear and is unable to see its destination indicator, tells the visitor to Adelaide that he might be able to continue his journey by the cheap and fairly frequent Metro system. Why don't the buses stop under the awning like the airport shuttle ones do?

I've written about this before and was advised to wait until the work has finished, but this all looks permanent to me and, having had occasion to use it frequently recently, I am not happy. The former terminal went for YEARS without shelter or even seating, and I sense a deliberate neglect of public transport needs in favour of the private car and the taxi industry. ALL transport terminals should be easily accessible by the Metro system. Neither the airport nor the interstate rail terminal in Adelaide meets that criterion.
One word: bingo.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

metro
Legendary Member!

#248 Post by metro » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:19 pm

crawf wrote:Hard believe that is Adelaide. Very impressive photos Norman, great work!

BTW I like the look of that new bus stop aswell.
While I dont like the long line of cars in busy times, I do like the new plaza and parking station. ADL looks like a decent capital city airport now, and not some tiny regional city tin shed. :banana:

and I hope they roll out that new style bus stop across the whole metro area, the present bus stop signs are very dated. Is also good to see the Airport bus stop has a metrocard cash machine, they need these at all rail stations and tram stops! then they wont need them on trains and trams where they just take up space! :cheers:

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#249 Post by rev » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:58 am

Here's an aerial perspective taken from a departing flight that I found online

Patrick_27

#250 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:00 pm

I can't help but feel they're taking a step backwards, the idea of the previous system was to get people from their car to their flight quick and easy.

A few points I'd like to note;

The first, the road network that has recently been established around the new car-park; I know there are plans to run a road directly out of the airport precinct from the newly founded round-about located north-west of the car-park, any idea when this will be happening?

Second, what is happening with the road-bridge that exists, still? It stands out like a sore thumb. To remove it completely would take away the bridge access on the upper floor? Any renders that show the overall concept?

Third point, am I the only person who has considered this thought: moving Qantas + Virgin club to a third floor area where they have a view of the entire tarmac area (similar to the original Qantas club in the old terminal), then using the Qantas club area as an open food court and the Virgin club area for further shops. It would free up a lot of room in the main hall for further commercial development (with the removal of tables and chairs + the Hudson coffee shop), and mean that Hungry Jacks would no longer awkwardly sit where it is, putting a greasy stench throughout the entire terminal...

Just a thought! :D

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#251 Post by bm7500 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:42 am

I saw the completed plaza area on Monday night and i have to say I'm a little underwhelmed.

It really is just a large expanse of paving with some gum trees and a couple of seats.

ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

Matt
Legendary Member!

#252 Post by Matt » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:08 am

What were you expecting? Fire eaters and can-can girls?

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#253 Post by bm7500 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:57 am

Matt wrote:What were you expecting? Fire eaters and can-can girls?
Thanks Matt for your very constructive response.

Some raised garden beds or maybe a water feature, even some variation in the greenery would have been nice and not an unreasonable expectation.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#254 Post by monotonehell » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:08 am

While it's all very nice, it does seem to be missing something. It has interest in form, but there's no colour, everything is monochromatic. Makes the finished product very drab looking.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

believesinadsy
Gold-Member ;)

#255 Post by believesinadsy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:49 am

I think it looks really good. Sleek, modern and will age well in my opinion. Was there not any kind of water feature planned?