COM: Adelaide Airport Carpark & Pedestrian Plaza

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: U/C: Adelaide Airport Carpark & Pedestrian Plaza

#256 Post by bm7500 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:03 pm

This is what i was expecting.....

It certainly appears some elements were removed from the final design for whatever reason.

That being said, the lighting and projection elements are still being tested and will add to the feel at night when they are completed. It just looks a bit drab, lacks colour and appears unfinished during the day unfortunately.
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#257 Post by Maximus » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:14 pm

Agreed that it feels like it's missing something, but are we sure it's officially complete? I haven't seen any announcements to that effect yet.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#258 Post by crawf » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:06 pm

It does look a little bland, hopefully there is still more to be added.

Also why has there been a recent trend of including gum trees?. They are not suited to urban areas and can be a major safety hazard in the future.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#259 Post by bm7500 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:56 pm

I had confirmation from Adelaide Airport via Facebook that they haven't finished the plaza in its entirety.

At this point its been functionally completed to allow full use of the area, but there will be more additions including food/beverage outlets and lighting effects etc to come over the coming months.
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#260 Post by SRW » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:14 pm

I'll agree that it's a little bland. In particular, it lacks seating, and a water feature wouldn't go amiss. But as mentioned, it remains a work in progress.

Just in regards to the scaremongering over native trees in this and other threads, with adequate upkeep and attention from arborists, gums are no more dangerous than other trees. Sometimes old world species might suit the aesthetic better, but let's not rule out native species out-of-hand. In this instance, I think they were an appropriate selection; at Victoria Square, I'm not certain.
Keep Adelaide Weird

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#261 Post by JamesXander » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:57 pm

I can't help but feel they have ruined our perfect airport a little bit. The new set up is confusing and looks a bit fugly ATM.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#262 Post by Aidan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:04 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:I can't help but feel they're taking a step backwards, the idea of the previous system was to get people from their car to their flight quick and easy.
More often than not the old system was further to walk from the available parking spaces. And much more importantly, the parking is now in shade, as is the walk to the terminal.
A few points I'd like to note;

The first, the road network that has recently been established around the new car-park; I know there are plans to run a road directly out of the airport precinct from the newly founded round-about located north-west of the car-park, any idea when this will be happening?
It's already happened - it's just badly signposted!
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

AdelaideAlive
High Rise Poster!

#263 Post by AdelaideAlive » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:48 pm

the car park looks great , however driving in all you see is a bland metal wall why couldnt they have done what they doing with the entertainment centre,lost opportunity ,guess they could always put the new south australian logo on the side of it.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#264 Post by Paulns » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:10 am

Any photos of this available?
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#265 Post by Brando » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:54 pm

Paulns wrote:Any photos of this available?
Flip over to page 17 mate. BM7500 posted a video just the other day.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#266 Post by rev » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:55 pm

Here are two photos of the plaza I found on instagram again..

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#267 Post by Paulns » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:37 pm

Looks good but now that I've had a chance to look at both those videos I have to agree, it does look a bit bland comparing it to the original video! I don't really understand the fascination with gum trees either? You only have to walk down North Terrace now to see how nice that looks with non natives and a well manicured landscape design. Can't wait until they finish it off with the shops and lighting though. I hope they do add more plants and colour too? Maybe some raised garden beds that were mentioned earlier would be good?
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#268 Post by Brucetiki » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:01 pm

The thing with the gum trees though it's going to take years for them to grow to a decent level, and who knows if they don't redevelop the area again before then.

Having said that, it doesn't look too bad.

Mr Dog
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#269 Post by Mr Dog » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:19 am

Get a grip Adelaide. You seriously don't know when you're on to a good thing. I've never know a city full of such lazy wingers. In these modern times flying involves two things. Walking and sitting on your backside doing nothing for x amount of hours on a flight. You have to walk from check in to your gate to the plane to your seat. What's an extra 50 odd meters? Same getting off. Surely stretching your legs after a flight is good for you? Have you seen the ad on TV about walking 20 mins a day?

I use the airport every week. As a very regular user I have got to speak with many staff from the airlines to the people that "try" to keep the traffic flowing in the pick up and drop off area. Is the new system 100% perfect? NO! What in life is? The new area is far larger (it extends outside the under cover bit after the traffic lights also you know!) than the old drop off up stairs (old system) and pick up down stairs. One of the guys was telling me with the old system people just left their cars abandoned right outside the terminal on a daily basis causing security issues whilst they just wondered into the terminal. People where forever going to the wrong level to get picked up or dropped off because of the over complicated road layout BEFORE. Hence lots of irate lost and irritated drivers/passengers. During busy periods in the old layout you had to fight to get your car in to get picked up and YES traffic went right back to Sir Donald Bradman Road then! Now one simple straight road in! How complicated is that Adelaide. Learn to read the signs and drive.

As my pick up isn't always available I have spent plenty of time watching what goes on. The traffic people are constantly getting flack from selfish drivers that think the rules don't apply to them. It's SO simple. To pick someone up your passenger needs to be on the path before you park and pick them up. Again speaking to the guys the problem is passengers ring their drivers too early when they are just coming off the plane or have still to get their bags. The driver is there looking for them because they have had a call to say "they are here" when in reality they are still somewhere in the main terminal. Also people panic! As they drive along the road under the drop off/pick up they all fight for the same 20 meters of kerb space thinking they can't pull in. In reality there is always plenty of room at the far end (past the lift area)! There are TWO lanes on the approach. USE BOTH! Simple!

The open area is still far from finished. The big fruit bowl screen thing (which I think looks great btw) will apparently light up and stuff can be shown on it some how. Coffee shops and other things are still to be built in the open Plaza area. I had to get a cab the other night and the taxi area is fine. It's far bigger than before. Like before the issue is at certain times of the day there isn't enough taxi's about to supply the demand. NOT THE AIRPORTS FAULT! The taxi driver said that now they know how the system works it's fine and it stops drivers pushing in who have not joint the queue.

I'm not from Adelaide originally and I have traveled extensively throughout Europe, Asia, Australia and the USA. Adelaide airport is great for an International Airport. It's so easy to navigate and get around. I pick up friends/family from both domestic and occasionally international and I can be in and out within 10 minutes and that is parking! By the way you get a good 10 minuets or so free car parking in the new car park before it charges you. I regularly tell people to use the bridge and pick them up on the second level and still get out for free. Avoiding all the idiots in the pick up area!

For once Adelaide, stop winging and be proud or your city... and airport!

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#270 Post by Nathan » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:16 am

Mr Dog wrote:Get a grip Adelaide. You seriously don't know when you're on to a good thing. I've never know a city full of such lazy wingers. In these modern times flying involves two things. Walking and sitting on your backside doing nothing for x amount of hours on a flight. You have to walk from check in to your gate to the plane to your seat. What's an extra 50 odd meters? Same getting off. Surely stretching your legs after a flight is good for you? Have you seen the ad on TV about walking 20 mins a day?

I use the airport every week. As a very regular user I have got to speak with many staff from the airlines to the people that "try" to keep the traffic flowing in the pick up and drop off area. Is the new system 100% perfect? NO! What in life is? The new area is far larger (it extends outside the under cover bit after the traffic lights also you know!) than the old drop off up stairs (old system) and pick up down stairs. One of the guys was telling me with the old system people just left their cars abandoned right outside the terminal on a daily basis causing security issues whilst they just wondered into the terminal. People where forever going to the wrong level to get picked up or dropped off because of the over complicated road layout BEFORE. Hence lots of irate lost and irritated drivers/passengers. During busy periods in the old layout you had to fight to get your car in to get picked up and YES traffic went right back to Sir Donald Bradman Road then! Now one simple straight road in! How complicated is that Adelaide. Learn to read the signs and drive.

As my pick up isn't always available I have spent plenty of time watching what goes on. The traffic people are constantly getting flack from selfish drivers that think the rules don't apply to them. It's SO simple. To pick someone up your passenger needs to be on the path before you park and pick them up. Again speaking to the guys the problem is passengers ring their drivers too early when they are just coming off the plane or have still to get their bags. The driver is there looking for them because they have had a call to say "they are here" when in reality they are still somewhere in the main terminal. Also people panic! As they drive along the road under the drop off/pick up they all fight for the same 20 meters of kerb space thinking they can't pull in. In reality there is always plenty of room at the far end (past the lift area)! There are TWO lanes on the approach. USE BOTH! Simple!

The open area is still far from finished. The big fruit bowl screen thing (which I think looks great btw) will apparently light up and stuff can be shown on it some how. Coffee shops and other things are still to be built in the open Plaza area. I had to get a cab the other night and the taxi area is fine. It's far bigger than before. Like before the issue is at certain times of the day there isn't enough taxi's about to supply the demand. NOT THE AIRPORTS FAULT! The taxi driver said that now they know how the system works it's fine and it stops drivers pushing in who have not joint the queue.

I'm not from Adelaide originally and I have traveled extensively throughout Europe, Asia, Australia and the USA. Adelaide airport is great for an International Airport. It's so easy to navigate and get around. I pick up friends/family from both domestic and occasionally international and I can be in and out within 10 minutes and that is parking! By the way you get a good 10 minuets or so free car parking in the new car park before it charges you. I regularly tell people to use the bridge and pick them up on the second level and still get out for free. Avoiding all the idiots in the pick up area!

For once Adelaide, stop winging and be proud or your city... and airport!
I've got nothing more to say other than +1