News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#856 Post by monotonehell » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:34 am

Maximus wrote:As one would expect, it seems Emirates is keeping a pretty tight leash on the flight to Adelaide so as to ensure the plane gets back out before curfew. I spoke to a mate who flew from London to Adelaide with Emirates a week or so ago. His flight from London got into Dubai slightly late and the connecting flight to Adelaide didn't wait for him, which meant an unplanned 24 hour sojourn in Dubai International Airport. (I think he missed final boarding call by only approx 20 mins.) Interestingly, once he was on the flight the next day, he said it was barely half full. Hopefully that isn't indicative of a typical load factor for the route.
They'll only have to start worrying when it's half empty.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#857 Post by Norman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:25 am

Well, the inevitable has happened. EK440 has taken off in Dubai more than an hour late and will arrive in Adelaide at around 10:15pm. Departing flight EK441 has been rescheduled until 6:35am tomorrow.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#858 Post by Maximus » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:08 pm

Norman wrote:Well, the inevitable has happened. EK440 has taken off in Dubai more than an hour late and will arrive in Adelaide at around 10:15pm. Departing flight EK441 has been rescheduled until 6:35am tomorrow.
At least the second time that's happened now. Still, only twice in approx 4 months isn't too bad.

On a separate note, I was just reading through the Adelaide Airport Community Newsletter (4MB) and discovered this interesting article:
Christchurch and Adelaide airports combine forces

The airports of Christchurch and sister city Adelaide have announced they will work together to secure a direct air service between the two cities. A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) has been signed to link one of the largest un-serviced routes between major cities in Australasia, with the intention of benefitting business, freight and tourism of both cities.

Christchurch Airport CEO Jim Boult said both airports had been keen to cement a formal agreement to investigate and encourage an airline to take up the route.

“The recent new Open Skies policy over Christchurch until mid-2017 means any carrier can consider this opportunity, depending on its own air service agreements with Australia,” Mr Boult said. “The support package we’ll offer the first airline to serve the route is valued at $7.5m NZD ($6.18m AUD) depending on the exchange rate at the time. It’s based on a daily service, as well as other assumptions which we’ll work our way through with the airline which takes up the opportunity.”

The MoU allows both airports to jointly pursue stakeholder engagement and encourage an airline to start flying the route. In the past year, approximately 38,910 people travelled between the South Island and South Australia. Research shows considerably more would travel between both points if they could fly direct, which supports the argument for a new service. This suggests a direct daily service would have considerable uptake and could be worth as much as $30m NZ ($24.7m AUD) to the regional and South Island economy.

Adelaide Airport Ltd Managing Director Mark Young said a direct air service was very appealing. He said there were many common attributes between the two cities, not least a sister city relationship of more than 40 years.

“A direct air service to Christchurch Airport will definitely be an attractive offer to South Australians. They know Christchurch is on the doorstep of a winter playground, as well as beaches and outdoor adventures
in the summer,” Mr Young said. “The opportunity also exists for New Zealanders to experience Adelaide for its cosmopolitan atmosphere, great wineries, eco-tourism and gateway to the Outback.”
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Stefan P
High Rise Poster!

#859 Post by Stefan P » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:29 pm

Maximus wrote:
Norman wrote:Well, the inevitable has happened. EK440 has taken off in Dubai more than an hour late and will arrive in Adelaide at around 10:15pm. Departing flight EK441 has been rescheduled until 6:35am tomorrow.
At least the second time that's happened now. Still, only twice in approx 4 months isn't too bad.
Not a good day for international airlines in Adelaide today...

Malaysia flight MH136 did not depart today either. The aircraft currently parked in front of the Long Term Car Park. Looks like it is scheduled to depart at 1415 tomorrow, 15mins before the ususal MH138 flight at 1430.
Stefan

joenes_chelsea
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#860 Post by joenes_chelsea » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:36 pm

Hey all,

I've never posted on here before, but I thought you might like some stats.

According to Air Services Australia, Emirates services for December had an in-bound load factor of 67% and an outbound load factor of 86.5%. Cargo numbers were also strong.
Not too bad for the second month of a new service, but this is peak season. Will be interesting to see what load factors are like now this service is daily, but surely the extra frequencies, the Qantas deal and the ending of QF 81/82 will only mean good things for passenger numbers on this service.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#861 Post by bm7500 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:08 pm

Anyway, back on topic.

This from Adelaide Now.
Height or flight: Airport fears increased building heights could affect flight paths

ADELAIDE Airport is opposing plans to increase building height limits and housing density across Adelaide's western suburbs, saying it could affect "established flight paths".

Adelaide Airport Limited has lodged a submission in response to the West Torrens Council's Development Plan Amendment (DPA), which it prepared in response to the State Government's 30-Year Plan.

The DPA would allow five storey buildings along Henley Beach Rd up from the existing three and higher housing density in suburbs adjacent the airport.

In the submission, managing director Mark Young said these changes would "potentially affect the established flight paths into Adelaide Airport".

"This (higher height limits) raises concerns for the ongoing operations of the airport due to the likely increase in structures that could penetrate the Obstacle Limitation Surface (OLS)," the submission said.

An OLS refers to airspaces around airports which aim to restrict types of development and land uses.

It is set out in accordance with International Civil Aviation Organisation.

Mr Young also said the DPA also did not "acknowledge the impact of noise generated by aircraft operations on future residential development" at Netley, West Richmond, and Brooklyn Park, which neighbour the north and north-eastern boundary of the airport.

"This DPA should have included planning policies which seek to limit any further intensification of residential development within an area which is affected by the ongoing operations of the airport," he said.

"We believe that this is a missed opportunity for the council to better highlight the impact of noise on future residents given the proximity of this area to the airport."

Mr Young will be among 50 business groups and residents to address a public meeting tonight at the councils' Hilton chambers.

West Torrens is changing its planning laws to take into account State Government estimates of population growth across the west, predicted to be 90,000 extra people within 30 years.

Residents will argue the proposed laws will cause overshadowing, traffic and parking problems and decrease property values.

West Torrens Council deputy chief executive Declan Moore said the proposals were still "very much" a draft and the council would consider all concerns raised.

The public meeting will be held at the council office on Brooker Tce, Hilton, at 7pm.
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#862 Post by Maximus » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:54 am

A protest by the taxi drivers at the Airport last night. Something about the new pick-up arrangements allowing some drivers to jump the queue. Anyone know anything further?
Adelaide Airport cabbie protest strands passengers for up to two hours
adelaidenow
March 14, 20136:55AM

TAXI drivers protested overnight at Adelaide Airport by refusing to pick up passengers.

About 60 taxi drivers from a range of companies joined the protest against the new pick-up system at the airport, leaving dozens of passengers stranded for about two hours.

South Australian Taxi Council president Jim Triantafyllou said the protest was over a glitch in the new pick-up system, which allows some drivers to jump the line of those waiting for fares.

continues

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#863 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:17 pm

Stick to the thread topic guys. (I admit I'm guilty of it) I've just deleted a whole bundle of posts from the past week that were irrelevant to the operational status of Adelaide Airport and the airlines which service it. If the topic strays, I will delete posts on the spot.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

jimbly
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#864 Post by jimbly » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:58 pm

From Travel Weekly http://www.travelweekly.com.au/travel-t ... lish-route

Adelaide Airport in fresh Tasman appeal
Adelaide Airport has made a fresh appeal for Qantas to relaunch Adelaide-Auckland services under its partnership with Emirates, breaking Air New Zealand's monopoly on the route and creating a new link between New Zealand and Dubai.

In a submission to the Australian Consumer and Competition Commission, the airport said the airline's alliance with Emirates would free up a B737-800 aircraft on the Sydney-Auckland route which is served by the Gulf carrier's A380 aircraft.

The result would maintain pre-alliance aggregated capacity, but with the "considerable added benefit" of a new service from Adelaide to Auckland operated by Qantas on what is currently a monopoly route, executive general manager business development, Malcolm Andrews said.

"In addition to the benefits afforded to local trans-Tasman traffic, there is also significant benefit in offering a new link between Dubai and Auckland, via South Australia's capital city," he said.

In an earlier submission, Mark Young, the airport's chief executive, had also underlined the potential benefits to tourism, business and trade between South Australia and New Zealand, introducing "competition and premium product" on the route.

He referred to figures which show Qantas passengers flying between Adelaide and New Zealand via Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane currently account for 29%, 22% and 3% respectively of traffic between the two destinations.

Qantas last operated services between Adelaide and Auckland in 2007.

Meanwhile, Emirates responded to a request from the ACCC for a description of the top five goods or services procured by the airline last year as the competition regulator continues to assess the proposed tie-up.

The carrier identified jet fuel, aircraft, inflight catering, aircraft handling services and aircraft engines as its main expenses in order.

believesinadsy
Gold-Member ;)

#865 Post by believesinadsy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:01 pm

That would be awesome. Equally a service to Christchurch would be beneficial for Emirate/Qanatas. I understand Emirates fly out from Christchurch...why not stop in Adelaide on the way and take on extra passengers as I sure they wouldnt have full capacity out of Christchurh.
Cheers

Dazzeland
High Rise Poster!

#866 Post by Dazzeland » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:02 pm

believesinadsy wrote:That would be awesome. Equally a service to Christchurch would be beneficial for Emirate/Qanatas. I understand Emirates fly out from Christchurch...why not stop in Adelaide on the way and take on extra passengers as I sure they wouldnt have full capacity out of Christchurh.
Cheers
Because the flight already stops in Sydney and Bangkok to pick up passengers

Dazzeland
High Rise Poster!

#867 Post by Dazzeland » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:06 pm

Emirates only has an inbound load factor to Adelaide of about 61 percent, so if Qantas operates a code share to CHC then the Adelaide-Dubai flights pax will go up so hopefully we may get an a380 or multiple daily services :)

Stefan P
High Rise Poster!

#868 Post by Stefan P » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:04 pm

Dazzeland wrote:Emirates only has an inbound load factor to Adelaide of about 61 percent, so if Qantas operates a code share to CHC then the Adelaide-Dubai flights pax will go up so hopefully we may get an a380 or multiple daily services :)
I highly doubt we would get an A380. Only because the aerobridge situation. You need at least 2-3 aerobridges to attach onto the A380. Adelaide can only put 1 to it, which is OK for diversions but for scheduled flights it would take a long time to board 500 people through 1 aerobrdige.

Multiple daily would be the way to go
Stefan

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#869 Post by Maximus » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:52 am

Stefan, just out of interest (as I assume you work at the Airport), is it possible for the aerobridges to swing in the opposite direction -- i.e. to attach to the right-hand side of the plane, rather than the left? I realise that this would be a highly unusual boarding arrangement, but it would at least be a way to connect 2 aerobridges simultaneously.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#870 Post by bm7500 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:56 am

Maximus wrote:Stefan, just out of interest (as I assume you work at the Airport), is it possible for the aerobridges to swing in the opposite direction -- i.e. to attach to the right-hand side of the plane, rather than the left? I realise that this would be a highly unusual boarding arrangement, but it would at least be a way to connect 2 aerobridges simultaneously.
No it isn't possible.

All the aerobridges are designed to link to the Port side of an aircraft only.

It may be possible however to install an additional aerobridge in close proximity to another at one of the widebody gates. This could then service a second Port side aircraft door. The only issue would be the flow of passengers when moving from the aerobridge into the terminal.
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA