News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#1096 Post by Splashmo » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:26 pm

Another international service - that's good news.

But I'm still amazed we don't have an airline flying to Thailand!

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#1097 Post by adam73837 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:06 pm

I agree it is surprising. But didn't Thai Airways International fly here several years ago? I wonder what happened there.

Also I guess with Air Asia X beginning services here, I'm sure a lot of the travllers going to Kuala Lumpur will be going on to Thailand. However that being said, I'm not sure there's a big enough market for two carriers to operate flights to Thailand.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Hideaway62
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1098 Post by Hideaway62 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:58 pm

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#1099 Post by adam73837 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:48 pm

Welcome to the forum.

That's good to hear, but I reckon they (China Southern) have been saying stuff like that for quite some time now. I won't get too excited until they make a definitive announcement. Notice how he said that before they add new routes, they want to strengthen the market in current destinations.

Although I must say it was interesting that the mentioned Christchurch and Adelaide in one hit. I wonder if they're considering doing a CHC-ADL-CAN route, similar to Emirates' CHC-SYD-DXB route. Although I reckon Adelaide would be a bit out of the way from going CHC-CAN, unlike from CHC-DXB.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1100 Post by bm7500 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:53 am

For those of you interested, the first scheduled Air Asia X flight arrives into Adelaide at 9:45am tomorrow and departs at 11am. This will be operated by an Airbus A330.
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

Stefan P
High Rise Poster!

#1101 Post by Stefan P » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:25 pm

bm7500 wrote:For those of you interested, the first scheduled Air Asia X flight arrives into Adelaide at 9:45am tomorrow and departs at 11am. This will be operated by an Airbus A330.
Looking at all the info on the flights, It appears the 1st flight is Thursday.
Stefan

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#1102 Post by Maximus » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:34 am

Stefan P wrote:
bm7500 wrote:For those of you interested, the first scheduled Air Asia X flight arrives into Adelaide at 9:45am tomorrow and departs at 11am. This will be operated by an Airbus A330.
Looking at all the info on the flights, It appears the 1st flight is Thursday.
The Airport website is showing today, although they don't have an Air Asia X logo to go with it yet!

I have noticed in the past few weeks that this flight has shown up on the arrivals board from time to time. Have there been a few 'test flights' in advance of the first passenger service, or was this perhaps just a glitch?
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#1103 Post by Vee » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:41 am

First Air Asia X flight coming in to Adelaide Airport today.
Some pics from social media.

Coming in to land
http://twitter.com/ruthawbery/status/39 ... 25/photo/1
via @ruthawbery

Air Asia X inaugural flight to Adelaide has landed.
http://twitter.com/EdwardGodfrey9/statu ... 96/photo/1
via @EdwardGodfrey9

Traditional aviation greeting.
http://twitter.com/angie_aax/status/395 ... 60/photo/1
via @angie_aax

Air Asia X preparing to dock
http://twitter.com/angie_aax/status/395 ... 40/photo/1
via @angie_aax

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1104 Post by monotonehell » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:19 pm

Why is it that the traditional airport greeting is similar to a crash landing response? :twisted:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1105 Post by Ho Really » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:37 pm

Adelaide flights better than hoped, says Emirates

Emirates has said its Adelaide services have performed better than expected as it marked the first anniversary of flying to South Australia.

Arrivals from the UK, France and Germany have all climbed on the back of the flights and helped drive a 5.5% increase in international visitors to the state, tourism officials said.

The airline said that more than 155,000 passengers travelled between Dubai and Adelaide in the first 12 months with average loads sitting above 80%. Volumes have been “above expectations”.

Economy class cabins on the 354-seat Boeing 777 flights have been full while business and first class loads have improved since frequencies increased to a daily schedule in February, Emirates district manager for South Australia, Paul Jury, said.

“The support from the state of South Australia has been overwhelming. We’ve worked closely with our partners including the travel trade, South Australian Tourism Commission, BusinessSA and the Adelaide Convention Bureau amongst others, who have provided exceptional support in both inbound and outbound capacities,” he said.

Load forecasts into 2014 remain strong with earlybird sales driving strong demand for Europe in particular, Jury added.

State tourism minister, Leon Bignell, said the services “have bought the world to Adelaide and Adelaide to the world”.

“A $2 million marketing partnership between the state government, Emirates and Tourism Australia has resulted in a significant increase in visitors from the UK, France and Germany,” he said.

Adelaide was Emirates’ fifth Australian gateway.

Travel Weekly

Just returned yesterday after a month in verdant Tuscany. I didn't fly Emirates as I'm a frequent flyer with my fav airline, Singapore Airlines. However a friend of mine did, returning Sunday from Athens, Greece. He said it was good. Obviously impressed by a Greek stewardess :wink: , one of the many international FAs Emirates employs.

I would've expected Emirates to do well. So I'm not sure why the surprise. I guess for Adelaideans, the contributing factors would have been: the novelty of the airline, its competitive fares, the servicing of old destinations dropped by others and Dubai itself (as a destination). Their introduction to Adelaide has also helped keep prices down. We're now seeing great specials offered by all four of the bigger Asian carriers into Adelaide. As for the European visitors I would assume it was effective advertising and good promotions that attracted them here. The question now is, can they maintain this growth.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

jimbly
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1106 Post by jimbly » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:19 am

More good news for the airport
Adelaide Airport achieves record number of international passengers in Q1 FY14

Adelaide Airport Limited (AAL) has continued its strong international growth seen over the last two years, achieving a new record of 207,000 international passengers for the quarter ending September 2013, up 6.7% from the previous record set in March 2013...
http://australia.etbnews.com/168958/ade ... s-q1-fy14/

Cam
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1107 Post by Cam » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:08 pm

How can an Airport be so good and so bad at the same time. I sent an email to AAP asking why directions from getting off the plane to the baggage collection are hard to find - I am a local, but i saw visitors on the same flight walking around in circles afraid to go down the escalators to the ground floor.
Adelaide, Saudi Australia.

Ho Really

#1108 Post by Ho Really » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:16 am

Cam wrote:How can an Airport be so good and so bad at the same time. I sent an email to AAP asking why directions from getting off the plane to the baggage collection are hard to find - I am a local, but i saw visitors on the same flight walking around in circles afraid to go down the escalators to the ground floor.
Cam, I assume you're talking about domestic flights, correct?

As for international flights I would have thought passport/immigration control, baggage collection and Customs to be on one level instead of two. I find the flow awkward. Adelaide Airport is not perfect. However, if passenger numbers and international flights continue to rise I would assume more of T1 to become international only. Looking at their expansion planes you would think so. I'm only guessing, as I don't know the internal structure of the Terminal, but I would assume that walls and access points can be rearranged for future expansion. There's always hope.

Cheers

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#1109 Post by mattblack » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:46 am

Looking at their expansion planes you would think so.
Pun or spelling mistake?

Ho Really

#1110 Post by Ho Really » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:17 am

mattblack wrote:
Looking at their expansion planes you would think so.
Pun or spelling mistake?
The subconscious at work :wink:

I'm just wondering how many more international airlines will it take before AAL makes changes in this area? Yesterday I watched the early arrival of Air Asia X flight D7-246. It had to stay on the tarmac a long time (around 15 minutes) while its gate was vacated by a Qantas plane. Not sure how this goes down with Air Asia and its passengers.

Cheers

Edited a spelling error :D
Last edited by Ho Really on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.