News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#1246 Post by rev » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:11 pm

fifty wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:Why not Cross Road in that case?
Offtopic, but here goes....

I have often thought the same. There are difficulties with both. Aside from the simple airport extension, my thinking is that Richmond/Greenhill/Glen Osmond is better due to i) the presence of parklands along much of the corridor allowing flexibility with design and cheaper additional width*; ii) land value and zoning around Richmond Rd is maybe easier to accommodate a large flyover-type intersection with Sth Rd, compared to Cross Rds which has already been partly developed, iii) Glen Osmond Rd and Cross Rd residents and businesses will both put up a hell of a fight, but Glen Osmond Rd is yet to see any development and is really overdue compared to Cross Rd and is shorter in length; and iv) perhaps most importantly a freeway going down Greenhill Rd can include at least one off/on ramp directly to the city, adding a major economic justification to its case.

*Assuming the parkland nazis can be overcome
What's the point of linking up the South Eastern fwy to the airport, if there isn't other freeway type roads creating a network throughout the metropolitan area?

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#1247 Post by adam73837 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:32 am

I thought I saw a Malaysia Airlines 747 coming in to land today at around 10:30 I couldn't tell if it was a passenger plane or a cargo plane but i'm pretty sure it had the distinct 747 'hump' at the front. Anyone know what this was all about?
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1248 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:01 pm

adam73837 wrote:I thought I saw a Malaysia Airlines 747 coming in to land today at around 10:30 I couldn't tell if it was a passenger plane or a cargo plane but i'm pretty sure it had the distinct 747 'hump' at the front. Anyone know what this was all about?
Not sure but there was a Cathay Pacific Cargo 747-800 in Adelaide last night to pick up a couple of koalas.

First time the 747-800's been in Adelaide I believe.

fifty
High Rise Poster!

#1249 Post by fifty » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:19 pm

rev wrote:
fifty wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:Why not Cross Road in that case?
Offtopic, but here goes....

I have often thought the same. There are difficulties with both. Aside from the simple airport extension, my thinking is that Richmond/Greenhill/Glen Osmond is better due to i) the presence of parklands along much of the corridor allowing flexibility with design and cheaper additional width*; ii) land value and zoning around Richmond Rd is maybe easier to accommodate a large flyover-type intersection with Sth Rd, compared to Cross Rds which has already been partly developed, iii) Glen Osmond Rd and Cross Rd residents and businesses will both put up a hell of a fight, but Glen Osmond Rd is yet to see any development and is really overdue compared to Cross Rd and is shorter in length; and iv) perhaps most importantly a freeway going down Greenhill Rd can include at least one off/on ramp directly to the city, adding a major economic justification to its case.

*Assuming the parkland nazis can be overcome
What's the point of linking up the South Eastern fwy to the airport, if there isn't other freeway type roads creating a network throughout the metropolitan area?
It would link up with another freeway - the upgraded South Rd freeway/superway/motorway, whatever they want to call it - thereby linking the SE freeway to basically all the metro area (at least the central and western half). Refer the South Rd thread.

Stefan P
High Rise Poster!

#1250 Post by Stefan P » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:24 pm

adam73837 wrote:I thought I saw a Malaysia Airlines 747 coming in to land today at around 10:30 I couldn't tell if it was a passenger plane or a cargo plane but i'm pretty sure it had the distinct 747 'hump' at the front. Anyone know what this was all about?
It was a Malaysia Cargo B747-400 Freighter. Arrived at 10:30 and departed at 1:30.
Stefan

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#1251 Post by Maximus » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:56 am

Brucetiki wrote:Not sure but there was a Cathay Pacific Cargo 747-800 in Adelaide last night to pick up a couple of koalas.

Yargh...! <drool>

Pictures anyone?
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Alyx
High Rise Poster!

#1252 Post by Alyx » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:24 pm

Maximus wrote:
Brucetiki wrote:Not sure but there was a Cathay Pacific Cargo 747-800 in Adelaide last night to pick up a couple of koalas.

Yargh...! <drool>

Pictures anyone?
From the Adelaide Airport webcam:

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#1253 Post by Maximus » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:46 pm

Alyx wrote:From the Adelaide Airport webcam:
Champion. What a beautiful bird!

Haven't seen that unusual Jetstar livery before, either.

Stefan P
High Rise Poster!

#1254 Post by Stefan P » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:44 pm

Maximus wrote:

Yargh...! <drool>

Pictures anyone?
Here a couple of my pictures of the Cathay Pacific Cargo...

B-LJB by SJ Perkas

B-LJB by SJ Perkas

B-LJB by SJ Perkas

And the Jetstar A320 is VH-VGF (also known as the Jaffa jet) is a special livery for Jetstar 10th Anniversary. It is different on both sides

VH-VGF by SJ Perkas

VH-VGF by SJ Perkas
Stefan

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#1255 Post by Maximus » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:06 am

Thanks Stefan. I was going to suggest you put those on your blog, but I see it's already done. :) Many have predicted the demise of the 747, but I really hope this latest variant can carve out a successful niche for many years to come.

In other news, I thought it was worth drawing everyone's attention to the most recent international passenger stats for Australian airports. Adelaide is now within sight of 1 million international passengers per annum, having recorded 929,369 for the 12 months to July. That's a 28% year-on-year increase and has taken us past Gold Coast, where international passenger numbers have been static for the past 12 months.

All the stats here.
Last edited by Maximus on Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1256 Post by ghs » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:32 am

I think you mean the gold coast, not cairns.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#1257 Post by Maximus » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:38 am

ghs wrote:I think you mean the gold coast, not cairns.
Argh! Just checking that you were paying attention... :oops:

Previous post edited now.

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1258 Post by ghs » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:35 pm

I assume that the big increases over the last couple of years is because of the Emirates flights.

Hope that China Southern starts up soon here in Adelaide, the aussie dollar is going down which
should help.
Last edited by ghs on Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1259 Post by Norman » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:43 pm

ghs wrote:I assumme that the big increases over the last couple of years is because of the Emirates flights.

Hope that China Southern starts up soon here in Adelaide, the aussie dollar is going down which
should help.
Emirates, Air Asia and Jetstar.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1260 Post by rev » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:50 am

Huge plans for the airport.
Can't see where the demand for 52 gates is going going to going to come from though.

http://m.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south- ... 7100409036