News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Stefan P
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#1426 Post by Stefan P » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:08 pm

Norman wrote:Stefan, is this schedule similar to the Virgin flights?
Current scheduled for Virgin is Arrive Adelaide at 2130, Depart Adelaide at 1610.

This Tiger schedule replicates a similar schedule to what Virgin used to do about a year or 2 ago.
Stefan

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1427 Post by rev » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:10 pm

There's an article, or opinion piece is more accurate, by Rex Jory? on Adelaidenow about relocating the airport.

Apparently the airport wont be able to cope with the increased flights and passenger numbers over the next 15 years.
Did he miss the article in the paper he works for a while ago, talking about Adelaide Airports expansion plans, that have been approved by government? Or maybe he is the typical News Corp employee who is too lazy to actually do research and check facts before writing an article.
It's not even linked as related news.

Not that I disagree with relocating the airport.

But he's talking about the curfew as if it's going to become unworkable because of increased flights.
Sydney's airport has a curfew like ours, 11pm-6am.
It has 300,000 aircraft movements a year and handles nearly 40 million passengers.
The projections for Adelaide airport come nowhere close to that in the next 15 years.

Do people in Sydney have hearing problems, thus having no issue with 300,000 take offs/landings a year?

How is Sydney able to operate with the same curfew hours as Adelaide, but handle three times as many aircraft movements a year, and 30 million more passengers?

One other solution he talks about is a second runway with take offs and landings over the ocean only.
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but that isn't feasible(only over the ocean), because as we can all see with our current runway, sometimes flights leave and come in over Adelaide and sometimes over the ocean in relation to wind movements.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1428 Post by Nathan » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:29 pm

It's an Advertiser opinion piece. Things like research or proper knowledge aren't required. The whole thing is based on the thoughts of a Family First MP (Dennis Hood).

(article is here: http://www.news.com.au/news/opinion/rex ... 7476513825 )

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#1429 Post by phenom » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:29 pm

Yeah even for an opinion piece that was pretty weak.

The main capacity constraints on the airport relate to getting ground traffic in and out, and Rex barely touched on that (aside from mentioning more than one entrance).

Some sort of light rail to/from city/airport and maybe consideration of spreading the 'north south corridor' a bit east west at junctures with Sir Donald Bradman Drive - while expensive - are to my mind the big need in coming years.

[Shuz]

#1430 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:44 pm

Build the airport at Dry Creek!

Wait...where have I heard that before?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Ho Really

#1431 Post by Ho Really » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:09 pm

Stefan P wrote:
Ho Really wrote:Tigerair will substitute Virgin Australia on flights to Denpasar (Bali) from March next year. The same will happen to services from Melbourne and Perth. The Phuket route from Perth will also be axed. Financial losses are to blame.

Cheers
Flights start March 23rd. Schedules as follows...

From March 23rd- March 27th

TT10 Dep DPS 0010 Arr ADL 0740 (Thursday, Friday & Saturday)
TT10 Dep DPS 0105 Arr ADL 0830 (Sunday)

TT17 Dep ADL 0945 Arr DPS 1235 (Wednesday and Friday)
TT11 Dep ADL 1705 Arr DPS 1955 (Thursday)
TT17 Dep ADL 1450 Arr DPS 1740 (Saturday)
TT17 Dep ADL 1325 Arr DPS 1620 (Sunday)

From March 28th- April 3rd

TT10 Dep DPS 0020 Arr ADL 0745 (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Satruday)
TT10 Dep DPS 0220 Arr ADL 0645 (Sunday)

TT11 Dep ADL 1710 Arr DPS 2005 (Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Saturday)
TT11 Dep ADL 1235 Arr DPS 1620 (Sunday)

From April 4th

TT10 Dep DPS 0020 Arr ADL 0645 (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday & Sunday)
TT11 Dep ADL 1610 Arr DPS 2005 (Monday,Wednesday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday)
Continuing on the above news. The aircraft will be a Boeing 737-800 ex-Virgin Australia. It will be reconfigured and rebranded in Tigerair livery before the new international service in March 2016. A further two B737-800 aircraft transferring from Virgin will also fly the route but from Melbourne and Perth.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Mountaineer
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1432 Post by Mountaineer » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:22 am

Will there be a possible expansion of Tiger from ADL to other destinations, other than BNE, SYD or MEL?

Would be great to have a low cost carrier to Asia return.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#1433 Post by muzzamo » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:56 am

Mountaineer wrote:Will there be a possible expansion of Tiger from ADL to other destinations, other than BNE, SYD or MEL?

Would be great to have a low cost carrier to Asia return.
Taking a slight tangent - with the new terminal at DPS, i've always viewed it as opening up the possibility for all sorts of connections to south east Asia and beyond for Australian passengers. It has heavy frequency from all major Australian airports and it just seems logical to use it as a hub, especially for the LCC's. The base passenger load to Bali makes the route to/from Australia viable outright, and on top of that you could offer stacks of connecting flights to Indonesia, Thailand, China, Japan, Russia, etc. You just need the interlining agreements and/or extensive LCC network to make it work.

Checking the tigerair website, they are only offering routes from ADL to BNE, MEL, SYD and DPS at this point and it looks like the timing of the DPS route doesn't really offer any connection opportunities :-(

fifty
High Rise Poster!

#1434 Post by fifty » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:15 am

muzzamo wrote: Taking a slight tangent - with the new terminal at DPS, i've always viewed it as opening up the possibility for all sorts of connections to south east Asia and beyond for Australian passengers. It has heavy frequency from all major Australian airports and it just seems logical to use it as a hub, especially for the LCC's. The base passenger load to Bali makes the route to/from Australia viable outright, and on top of that you could offer stacks of connecting flights to Indonesia, Thailand, China, Japan, Russia, etc. You just need the interlining agreements and/or extensive LCC network to make it work.

Checking the tigerair website, they are only offering routes from ADL to BNE, MEL, SYD and DPS at this point and it looks like the timing of the DPS route doesn't really offer any connection opportunities :-(
Only if they remove the ridiculous transiting arrangements. Ie. Must buy a visa, pass customs, walk outside and around to departures and check in.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Mountaineer
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1435 Post by Mountaineer » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:56 am

I have often wondered what the viability of a Bali hub was. Theoretically, with cheap flights to and from Bali from most destinations, it should be the cheapest option.

Ridiculous transit arrangements aside, the Balinese should really craft this opportunity. I myself would not travel to Bali as a main destination, but wouldn't rule out a 2-night visit as a stopover.

Bacon
High Rise Poster!

#1436 Post by Bacon » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:56 pm

rev wrote:How is Sydney able to operate with the same curfew hours as Adelaide, but handle three times as many aircraft movements a year, and 30 million more passengers?
Because Sydney has more runways?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1437 Post by rev » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:15 am

Bacon wrote:
rev wrote:How is Sydney able to operate with the same curfew hours as Adelaide, but handle three times as many aircraft movements a year, and 30 million more passengers?
Because Sydney has more runways?
And?
30 million passengers > 7 million passengers
300,000+ aircraft movements > 90,000 aircraft movements

There are residential areas surrounding it as well.

They operate within the same curfew as Adelaide Airport does.

But this is a pointless discussion because AAL are preparing to invest hundreds of millions expanding and upgrading the airport and surrounding precinct.
So while I too would like to see a new airport outside of the metro area which would also serve as another strong reason to continue to upgrade our road and rail infrastructure to better interconnect all areas of the metro area, the airport is here to stay where it is for a very long time to come.

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#1438 Post by Torrens_5022 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:44 pm

If we had to have a new airport (hypothetical) where would it be built?
If the Northern Connector was built, maybe rezone Buckland Park?

ChillyPhilly

#1439 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:06 pm

Torrens_5022 wrote:If we had to have a new airport (hypothetical) where would it be built?
Mt Lofty summit.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#1440 Post by Goodsy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:45 pm

Torrens_5022 wrote:If we had to have a new airport (hypothetical) where would it be built?
Gulf St Vincent, Hong Kong airport style