News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#1891 Post by Waewick » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:41 am

I also wonder if they have a tally of the amount of lives saved due to our intelligence agencies.

I mean they've spoken about stopping 13. Im sure its more.

Stefan P
High Rise Poster!

News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#1892 Post by Stefan P » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:14 am

Morning all,

China Southern will increase to 5x a week from December 11th to February 26th.

New flights will arrive Into Adelaide on Monday and Friday's, in addition the current Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday flights.

https://www.premier.sa.gov.au/index.php ... mes-a-week
Stefan

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1893 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:16 pm

rev wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:28 pm
There's extra security/things being done behind the scenes that you don't see. It's a multi-layered thing. Some is public, a lot isn't. And they aren't about to come out and publicly tell you everything they are doing, for obvious reasons.

They need to better vet people coming here, and those found doing the wrong thing like those in Sydney, need to be deported. Simple no tolerance approach to this shit.

Airports should also have thermal imaging scanners as well. Not just metal detectors.
Getting on a domestic flight should require proof of ID being presented.
There should also be more physical security present.

And regional airports, some of which receive large passenger aircraft from Qantas and Virgin, should also receive the same treatment.

This is the world we live in today sadly.
There are thermal imaging scanners for International departures (you can see Adelaide's at the International Departure gate).
SBD wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:40 pm
Regional airports capable of passenger aircraft over a certain size have to increase their security because of it. I think it was Mount Gambier had to do that a few years ago as part of an upgrade.

Has it been disclosed whether the people arrested were immigrants or born in Australia?

Why is catching a plane so much higher security risk than going to a concert/theatre/shopping/footy match? We are not advised to arrive two hours early for any of those.
Basically anything that is a Q400 size or bigger requires passengers to go through a security checkpoint. When Qantaslink went from Q400's to Q300's in SA, the security checkpoint at Port Lincoln was removed.

Rex have spent years fighting tooth and nail to avoid their aircraft/passengers going through security (hence why their arrivals go through the old international terminal). They may not have a choice if the government decides to up security for smaller aircraft.

Ho Really

#1894 Post by Ho Really » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:27 pm

Fellas, unless we're talking specifically about security at Adelaide Airport I would think this whole debate regarding security and terrorism should be under another topic and in a different forum. Security is a wide ranging topic.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Ho Really

#1895 Post by Ho Really » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:31 pm

Regarding security at Adelaide Airport. It makes me laugh that it actually starts after you've arrived at the terminal. What happens between drop off, check-in counters and the first metal detector scan and x-ray machine? Anyone who gives me a good answer gets a medal.

Cheers

P.S. This may not just apply to Adelaide but all Aussie and World airports as far as I know, maybe with the exception of Israel. Anyone enlighten me?
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#1896 Post by Splashmo » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:16 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:31 pm
This may not just apply to Adelaide but all Aussie and World airports as far as I know, maybe with the exception of Israel. Anyone enlighten me?
In Istanbul we had to go through security to get into the terminal.

But this comes back to the problem with security scanning - people will always need to queue or gather at the checkpoint. This is the problem at the Adelaide Oval. You can never have 100 per cent protection.

Algernon

#1897 Post by Algernon » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:34 pm

Splashmo wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:16 pm
Ho Really wrote:
This may not just apply to Adelaide but all Aussie and World airports as far as I know, maybe with the exception of Israel. Anyone enlighten me?
In Istanbul we had to go through security to get into the terminal.

But this comes back to the problem with security scanning - people will always need to queue or gather at the checkpoint. This is the problem at the Adelaide Oval. You can never have 100 per cent protection.
If you're taking the train to KLA from within Kuala Lumpur then your checkin and security starts at the train station (boarding in KL)

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#1898 Post by Kasey771 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:21 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:27 pm
Fellas, unless we're talking specifically about security at Adelaide Airport I would think this whole debate regarding security and terrorism should be under another topic and in a different forum. Security is a wide ranging topic.

Cheers
I dropped my gf off at the airport on saturday morning. We decided to have breakfast together there. I didn't have a boarding pass but went through security anyway to spend a bit more time with the girlie. Any move to follow the US lead of only allowing people with a valid boarding pass to go through security will be detrimental to the businesses at Adelaide Airport and are we really sure that it provides an improvement to security?

I'm always skeptical of knee-jerk reactions especially after a terrorist incident or one narrowly avoided, because scared people seldom make good sound decisions.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."~ Benjamin Franklin
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1899 Post by Norman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:53 pm

I hope we don't go down the path of US-style security checks, that was one of the worst parts of my trip there.

Nort

#1900 Post by Nort » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:26 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Regarding security at Adelaide Airport. It makes me laugh that it actually starts after you've arrived at the terminal. What happens between drop off, check-in counters and the first metal detector scan and x-ray machine? Anyone who gives me a good answer gets a medal.

Cheers

P.S. This may not just apply to Adelaide but all Aussie and World airports as far as I know, maybe with the exception of Israel. Anyone enlighten me?
No reason to have the security earlier.

All the checked baggage goes through security screening behind the scenes, and the security is positioned in a way that prevents you getting to any of the gates or aircraft without passing through it. You need some form of security screening between check-in and the gate anyway since you are allowed items in checked baggage that you aren't allowed in carry-on.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#1901 Post by Splashmo » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:51 pm

Good news from the Tasmanian Government:
Tourism set to soar higher as direct flights from Adelaide cleared for take off
Tasmania’s visitor economy is set for a major boost with Jetstar announcing it will commence direct flights between Adelaide and Hobart later this year.
The new service will add 56,000 seats to Tasmania per annum and will help attract an estimated 46,000 visitors to Tasmania from South Australia each year.
The three-times a week service will strengthen links to South Australia, which is a market we see as ripe for growth.
Currently, around five per cent of all interstate visitors to Tasmania are from South Australia and my Government is committed to working with Jetstar to help grow this figure.
Tourism Tasmania will shortly launch a marketing campaign targeted at South Australian residents, which is in addition to Tourism Tasmania’s existing and highly successful marketing partnership with Jetstar.
It can take up to six hours for a South Australian to fly to Tasmania on existing services through Melbourne or Sydney. This new service will cut that travel time to just two hours and better connect Tasmania to the mainland.
Importantly, this new link will improve access to Tasmania for international visitors, with overseas visitors now able to connect directly with Tasmania via Adelaide.
Jetstar are continuing to show great confidence in Tasmania and I acknowledge the hard work of the Hobart and Adelaide airports, as well as Tourism Tasmania and the South Australian Tourism Commission for working together to secure this new air link.
I suspect when they refer to international connections, they mean the Adelaide-Denpasar flights!

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#1902 Post by OlympusAnt » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:13 pm

I bought my tickets today. Can't wait to see that beautiful place in Feb next year.

My last JQ experience wasn't favorable, so lets hope it goes better.

Time for flights are as follows:

ADL 1945
HOB 2205

HOB 1745
ADL 1915

Days: TUE, THU & SAT
Last edited by OlympusAnt on Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1903 Post by crawf » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:41 pm

Good news!!
Rideshare service UberX starts pick-ups at Adelaide Airport
The Advertiser
an hour ago
RIDESHARE operator UberX will begin picking up customers from a dedicated zone at Adelaide Airport from Thursday.

In a move that will upset taxi operators, the block on airport pick-ups from UberX is being lifted from noon on Thursday.

Uber’s more expensive Black service was already available from the airport.

Uber head of Australian cities Tom White said the agreement with airport operators was a win for choice and the travelling public.

Transport Minister Stephen Mullighan in September last year said any decision to allow Uber into Adelaide Airport was one for airport management and not the State Goverment.

This followed Brisbane airport becoming the nation’s third, after Sydney and Canberra, to created a dedicated pick-up zone for the rideshare service.

App-based and ride-sharing companies, such as Ingogo and UberX, were legally allowed to operate in South Australia from July 1 last year as part of sweeping reforms to the state’s taxi and hire car industry.

Under the changes the Government, passengers across all platforms are charged a $1 levy per ride to compensate taxi licence plate owners and drivers for allowing new entrants into the market.

It will raise about $80 million over the next decade.

Mountaineer
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1904 Post by Mountaineer » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:05 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:13 pm
I bought my tickets today. Can't wait to see that beautiful place in Feb next year.

My last JQ experience wasn't favorable, so lets hope it goes better.

Time for flights are as follows:

ADL 1745
HOB 2205

HOB 1745
ADL 1715

Days: TUE, THU & SAT
Pretty quick flight on the return, getting back before you've even left!

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#1905 Post by OlympusAnt » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:51 pm

Corrected :)

Also, the UberX think went down badly today. The bad taxi drivers were having a whinge and weren't taking any fares. Imagine getting here at 7am on Malaysian/Singapore and unable to get into the city. A great image for our city :(
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/