News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Shuz
Banned
Banned

Re: Adelaide Airport & Airline News

#151 Post by Shuz » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:30 pm

Oh, I have such memories of that place! It really was a shoddy old thing. I thought the AAL's plans were to extend T1 around to the old terminal site to make T2 - the 'regional' flights terminal?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#152 Post by AtD » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:00 pm

Jamo wrote:Is anyone able to inform me what Adelaide Airport Ltd intends doing with the soon to be vacant site of the old terminal?
I remember hearing something about a possible bus terminal or some such thing but haven't heard any thing of late.
Temporary short-stay car park during the construction of the new hotel and multi-story parking complex, then probably a permanent long-stay car park. I remember hearing the current long stay car park will be downsized to allow more space for aircraft, but I may have been dreaming.

Secondly, why do we have two threads for this? Which ones construction and which one's airline news?

aussie2000
High Rise Poster!

#153 Post by aussie2000 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:18 pm

i thought the old one was finished as it was about the construction to T1 and this new one is for all news about the airport, development and airlines...

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#154 Post by Omicron » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:05 am

I must say; there was a degree of excitement to rushing across the tarmac to board a waiting plane. With that said, I only ever did so once on a crisp overcast morning, so I wasn't being blasted by a hot north wind or drowned by pouring rain.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#155 Post by AtD » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:03 am

Hang on, is that International or Domestic they're tearing down?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#156 Post by Will » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:38 pm

AtD wrote:Hang on, is that International or Domestic they're tearing down?
The old domestic terminal

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#157 Post by bm7500 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:37 pm

Some more good airline news for Adelaide.

Pacific Blue has today announced that it will be adding a direct Adelaide to Fiji service starting 4th June. This is in addition to their existing direct services to Bali.

The service will run twice weekly, departing Adelaide on Friday & Sunday.
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#158 Post by Splashmo » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:16 pm

That's not bad - that's actually quite an achievement! Never before have we had a direct air service to Fiji.

But surely Bangkok as a destination is overdue now - other capitals have two, three airlines offering direct flights there.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#159 Post by UrbanSG » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:30 pm

I'm guessing no one else saw the Commercial section of today's paper in which Adelaide Airport have confirmed the hotel is on hold until the economy improves again. They have said it is feasbile but the developers are having too much trouble securing finance at the moment.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#160 Post by AtD » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:46 am

Thanks Urban. What about the terminal?

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#161 Post by rogue » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:32 am

Article from AdelaideNow...

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 80,00.html
Finances ground airport hotel plans

SARAH MARTIN

March 23, 2009 11:30pm

ADELAIDE Airport's proposed on-site four-star hotel has been shelved because of a lack of finance.

The proposed hotel would have comprised 200 rooms, 400 parking spaces, conference rooms and a gymnasium.

A hotel for Adelaide Airport has been in the master plan concept stage for 10 years.

Adelaide Airport Limited spokesman John McArdle said there was a good business case for the hotel.

"The feasibility study is complete and shows that it would be a viable proposition,'' he said.

"The challenge is to try and find a financial institution that will provide them (the developers) with funds in this current market.''

Mr McArdle said the project would not go ahead until financial conditions improved.

"We cannot start construction until such time as we have the finance, and in the current market that is not going to happen,'' he said.

"History shows us the aviation industry bounces back generally quicker than most, and as soon as there is an upward turn in the economy and the money starts flowing again we would anticipate it will still go ahead.''

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#162 Post by bm7500 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:47 am

Thats dissapointing that the hotel will not be going ahead at this time, but quite understandable all things considered.

In other news, one development at the airport that will be going ahead is the construction of a new Air Traffic Control Tower. Timing is yet to be confirmed but the new site of the tower will be roughly next to the main Qantas hangar on Dr Andy Thomas Circuit.

and no.... i dont have any renders hehe... but dont expect it to resemble the Sydney ATC Tower :(

Just for the record, this will be the airports 3rd ATC Tower in its history. The first one was 'removed' a few weeks ago when the old domestic terminal building started to be demolished.
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#163 Post by ozisnowman » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:59 am

That stinks... the banks dont want to give money to a profitable organisation, wtf is going on at the
moment in regards to this financial crisis, half the problem seems to be banks not making logical decisions.
They gave money to those that cant afford it, now all of a sudden they seem to be reluctant to give money
to anyone.

Regards the tower how disappointing regards its height would have liked to see something in the order of 70-80 metres
like Perths.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#164 Post by bm7500 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:50 pm

ozisnowman wrote:That stinks... the banks dont want to give money to a profitable organisation, wtf is going on at the
moment in regards to this financial crisis, half the problem seems to be banks not making logical decisions.
They gave money to those that cant afford it, now all of a sudden they seem to be reluctant to give money
to anyone.

Regards the tower how disappointing regards its height would have liked to see something in the order of 70-80 metres
like Perths.
I agree with your sentiment about the banks, it seems they have quickly retreated from the days of high risk lending back to a time when they only risk little or no exposure.

As for the new ATC Tower, Air Services Australia are bound by the same PANS-OPS regulations as every other development on or near an airport. In other words they had to make sure that the location and height of the tower doesnt interfere with the operational airspace needed for the airport. For example if an aircraft had to perform a 'Missed Approach' (otherwise known as a go around) the pilot applies full power and then immediately turns away from the runway. The new location of the tower could be right in the path if a missed approach had to be performed and therefore its height needs to be limited to a safe level.

So why did they chose that location for the new tower? I have no idea! lol

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#165 Post by monotonehell » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:24 am

ozisnowman wrote:Regards the tower how disappointing regards its height would have liked to see something in the order of 70-80 metres like Perths.
Okay now you're just being silly. Everwhere I look on this forum it's "should be taller." This isn't a commercial or residential building, what's the advantage of it being tall? Most ATC can be done remotely from a basement these days anyway.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.