News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#1936 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:15 pm

North Adelaide residents complaining about the flight path. Meanwhile, rain is wet.

https://indaily.com.au/news/local/2017/ ... ight-path/
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1937 Post by monotonehell » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:58 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:15 pm
North Adelaide residents complaining about the flight path. Meanwhile, rain is wet.

https://indaily.com.au/news/local/2017/ ... ight-path/
*several facepalms*

1. The airport and its glidepath has been there for decades.
2. Jets are (a bit) quieter than they were before the 1990s.
3. The glidepath hasn't moved. But prevailing winds do affect the approach angle quite a lot. Sometimes jets glide in over the CBD. (If you've ever been in one of Adelaide's skyscrapers on such a day it's a bit disconcerting. When in fact they are metres above, your perception and lack of scale makes you worried.)
4. You can quite happily have a bbq with a jet cruising over every few minutes.
5. The median price of North Adelaide houses is through the roof despite the flights overhead...

Meh. Maybe the Feds can reopen the insulation programme. But there's no moving the glidepath without moving the airport. Unless all the North Adelaide residents want is for the planes to fly over poor people?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Llessur2002

#1938 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:12 am

monotonehell wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:58 am
Unless all the North Adelaide residents want is for the planes to fly over poor people?
Don't be absurd.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#1939 Post by Maximus » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:38 am

A few additional points...

* A re-opening of the insulation program wouldn't result in any more houses being insulated, because all the eligible houses (within a specified noise contour) have already been insulated.
* While jets are indeed quieter now than in the past, they're still undoubtedly very loud. In any case, research generally shows it's not the intensity of noise that causes the most annoyance, but the frequency. And the number of flights each year is clearly increasing.
* But, yes, the airport has been there for yonks. And if the noise bothers you so much, I fail to see why you would put up with it for 14 years without moving house (as per the lady in the above article).
* Jets don't glide in over the Adelaide CBD, but they do take off over the CBD (on account of jets climbing at a much steeper angle than they descend).
* It would likely be possible to change the approach path to avoid North Adelaide (just), but this wouldn't be optimal from a safety perspective and wouldn't be possible in bad weather or low visibility. In poor conditions, aircraft use an instrument landing system (ILS) approach, which requires a long, straight-line approach path.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Mr Smith
High Rise Poster!

#1940 Post by Mr Smith » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:11 pm

Yeah look it's a bit akin to living on a railway line but some distance from the station. You get the noise but not necessarily the benefits as you are not near the station. However, you bought the joint at a discount price.

Many factors make up the ultimate price of a property and people who live in North Adelaide, at least that those who have moved there in the last 50 years, have done so in the full knowledge that the flight path was overhead. It's not like they were somehow deceived into it.

Ultimately safety is the main issue and as stated by previous poster a long straight guide-path is always preferable.

This is just white noise. It would be different if the Govt announced an abolition of the curfew.

rubberman

#1941 Post by rubberman » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:08 pm

My mother lived directly under the flight path in Barton Tce East for years. She's moved to Buxton St near Wellington Square. She hardly notices the planes, or the noise, unless there's a "big one", and that's only to note it rather than complain. Nor do any of her mates living nearby think it's a big deal.

That's not tosay that some people won't be disturbed, but once you cut out those who don't care, and those who like planes, I don’t think there are many people going to get militant over this.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#1942 Post by ml69 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:20 am

I would have thought that residents of Thebarton, Mile End and West Richmond would have cause for more complaints, given that planes are even lower when they pass by those suburbs ...

Stefan P
High Rise Poster!

#1943 Post by Stefan P » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:39 pm

Afternoon all,

Qantas will send their B787-9 VH-ZNA to Adelaide next Saturday 18/11/7. It will arrive at 0825 from Melbourne as 'QF673' and depart to Perth at 1725 as 'QF595'. Whilst in Adelaide in will be on display for the Qantas staff open day.
Stefan

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#1944 Post by OlympusAnt » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:14 pm

I'll be on it :D
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#1945 Post by Splashmo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:41 am

Looks like it got the full water cannon salute. I wonder if we’ll ever see it on a regular Qantas service from Adelaide? Seems doubtful...

Ho Really

#1946 Post by Ho Really » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:28 am

Splashmo wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:41 am
[...]
I wonder if we’ll ever see it on a regular Qantas service from Adelaide? Seems doubtful...
For the foreseeable future...No. If ever, and I say, if ever QANTAS decide to re-instate Adelaide-Singapore (minus Sydney) or introduce a direct flight to Asia you might see a twin-aisle here. But what it will be who knows.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Ho Really

#1947 Post by Ho Really » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:45 am

According to Singapore Airlines timetable released on 1 November. Effective 5 January 2018, SIA will re-instate flight SQ276 three times a week: Monday, Friday and Sunday. Departure 19:20 Adelaide; Arrival Singapore 00:05+1 (5 minutes past midnight next day). Return flights on SQ277 on Monday, Friday and Sunday with Departure Singapore 08:30; Arrival Adelaide 18:00. Aircraft Airbus A330-300.

In the past SQ276 flew in June-July and December-January. Hoping this time it will run for a much longer period. I've flown SIA four times in September, October and November and all flights have been full minus one or two seats!

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#1948 Post by OlympusAnt » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:25 pm

I flew SQ in September and it was pretty close to full
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

ChillyPhilly

#1949 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:18 am

A few shots of progress on the hotel.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

[Shuz]

#1950 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:32 am

Oh, wow - didn't realize it had progressed so quickly. For some reason it looks smaller than I expected?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.