News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Mpol03
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#2101 Post by Mpol03 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:00 pm

Looks great. :applause:

Hopefully, they have allocated space for a future tram extension amongst all of the development.

kenget
Gold-Member ;)

#2102 Post by kenget » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:25 pm

Norman wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:24 am
I am a bit confused with international departures though. Does this mean that you do through the door and down to Level 1 to go through immigration and duty free, and then come back up to Level 2 to go to the departures hall?
Yes that's the way I see it too. The level 2 entry to the international departures and immigration is all the way down in the new section.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#2103 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:07 pm

The VA lounge upgrade/relocation is long overdue as well, given the average reputation the Adelaide lounge currently has.

duke
High Rise Poster!

#2104 Post by duke » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:26 pm

Plasmatron wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:10 pm
Looks very nice, but for such a small building, I thought it would be one year construction time at most (instead of three years).
I have no idea about construction times, but I assume having a lot of restricted areas would make construction take longer than usual.

I wish they would have added showers and capsule hotel or rest area.
We seem to be very bad at allowing people to have a rest and freshen up in Australia compared to overseas airports.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2105 Post by Brando » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:49 pm

Maybe I'm just the asshole on this thread, maybe I've spent way too much time at Changi, but I find the render and fly through pretty underwhelming.

Really nothing here that puts us forward in any capacity over what should already be in place at ADL...

Should be a move to bring us beyond 2020 besides passenger number capabilities.

Sterile and boring.. sorry guys, but that was my initial reaction upon being excited and reading/watching this.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2106 Post by Ho Really » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:10 pm

Brando wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:49 pm
Maybe I'm just the asshole on this thread, maybe I've spent way too much time at Changi, but I find the render and fly through pretty underwhelming.

Relax, you're not the only one don't take all the credit!
Brando wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:49 pm
Really nothing here that puts us forward in any capacity over what should already be in place at ADL...

Should be a move to bring us beyond 2020 besides passenger number capabilities.

Sterile and boring.. sorry guys, but that was my initial reaction upon being excited and reading/watching this.
As you I'm not convinced. I'll add my full-on opinion a little later when we'll know a bit more about this development. The press release and fact sheet say little. I want to know what will happen with the current Departures Hall whether that will be expanded. Also why two baggage carousels? Why not three at least that way you are covered should there be three international flights concurrently. At present it happens often that Malaysia and Singapore Airlines are using the same belt. With two yes they'll be separated, but three gives you latitude. Isn't this the way they should be thinking for everything at this airport? Look ahead instead of catching up? My :2cents: for now. And yes don't get me going about a lightrail!

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#2107 Post by OlympusAnt » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:10 pm

Its the Changi effect. We don't cater for 70 million passengers per year, only about 9.

How often do you hear complaints about it compared to Sydney? Other than international arrivals, there isn't too much wrong with it. One can come in, check their bag, go to their flight quickly and depart mostly on time. On arrival, you barely hold except for weather, its a short taxi and walk to baggage. We're close to the city, so buses/taxis don't take too long and Sir Donald Bradman Dr is a nice entry to the city when the trees are leafy.

If you want an airport far from the city, go to Stockholm Arlanda. It takes 45 minutes to get into Stockholm on the bus and 25 minutes on the rip-off Arlanda Express.

Some people hold too high expectations. We don't need to be like Changi, Hong Kong, Zurich etc.
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

Patrick_27

#2108 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:50 pm

My two cents.

I'm impressed that the AAL have been able to fund this entirely themselves without government handouts, I’m also impressed by the fact that they’re sticking to their own targets (remember this is only a piece of the overall puzzle for their 2030 plan). Like some of you, I'm a little underwhelmed, I feel as though this is a quick fix to some of the growing problems they're currently experiencing – overcrowding in the departures and international area.

How I would have done this? Well first, I would have provided at-least two dedicated international gates (instead of one) with the ability to easily expand to three gates at low expense. I would have moved Qantas Club to a third level to free up space on the second level and expand the retail on both ends of the terminal. Lastly, I would have included expanded security for domestic. These among the other things already detailed.

Ho Really

#2109 Post by Ho Really » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:58 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:10 pm
Its the Changi effect. We don't cater for 70 million passengers per year, only about 9.

How often do you hear complaints about it compared to Sydney? Other than international arrivals, there isn't too much wrong with it. One can come in, check their bag, go to their flight quickly and depart mostly on time. On arrival, you barely hold except for weather, its a short taxi and walk to baggage. We're close to the city, so buses/taxis don't take too long and Sir Donald Bradman Dr is a nice entry to the city when the trees are leafy.

If you want an airport far from the city, go to Stockholm Arlanda. It takes 45 minutes to get into Stockholm on the bus and 25 minutes on the rip-off Arlanda Express.

Some people hold too high expectations. We don't need to be like Changi, Hong Kong, Zurich etc.
Ant, we've got a great little airport. We'll never compare to Changi, Chep Lap Kok, Incheon. Munich or whatever! We're not aiming there. However we can make our airport even better if we think big and build right. Then we need to keep it there. When we opened we were number one for a little while and with time we've dropped in the rankings. We get little mention from interstate and overseas visitors. Sure the expansion and upgrades will help, but I don't like seeing what I call a "pizza job" where a development has a perfect base but then have bits added on at random. The hotel in my opinion was angled all wrong, the open plaza is a waste of space and there (still) is no lightrail or tram station to be seen. Separating the taxi drop off from all other traffic is good, but got to wait and see if this is only for International Departures and not Arrivals. I don't see continuity in this development. A lot of things could've been done better since it was a greenfield development. The opportunities were there. Anyhow we must go forward. When more details are released about this expansion I hope I'm proved wrong.

Cheers

P.S. One thing that disturbs me watching the video is the low ceiling at baggage claim and international departures. Hope this is just an oversight.
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#2110 Post by Eurostar » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:50 pm

I wouldnt mind seeing local companies like Wendys or Golden North with a stall . Or a Donut King

EBG

#2111 Post by EBG » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:52 pm

I think one year construction time would be adequate.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#2112 Post by Mpol03 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:27 pm

Reminds me very much in the vein of Melbs and Syd domestic airports tbh. Same finish to the retail and new food courts especially.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#2113 Post by how good is he » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:57 am

Anyone know/suggest where the light rail stop could or would go? I have seen video renders (on you tube) showing the stop/station just before the new hotel...but seems a bit pointless unless it gets closer to the terminal?

Patrick_27

#2114 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:35 pm

how good is he wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:57 am
Anyone know/suggest where the light rail stop could or would go? I have seen video renders (on you tube) showing the stop/station just before the new hotel...but seems a bit pointless unless it gets closer to the terminal?
The stop will go in the allocated easement just before the hotel, it might look out of the way but it's not that far out of the way when you consider that it's right next to the private car drop off area.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#2115 Post by Goodsy » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:40 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:35 pm
how good is he wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:57 am
The stop will go in the allocated easement just before the hotel, it might look out of the way but it's not that far out of the way when you consider that it's right next to the private car drop off area.
probably wishful thinking, but It would be great for it to go directly under the terminal in a tunnel. Station at the Airport, one at Harbor town and loop down Tapleys Hill Road to join the Glenelg line. Create a giant loop