News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#1906 Post by Brucetiki » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:29 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:51 pm
Corrected :)

Also, the UberX think went down badly today. The bad taxi drivers were having a whinge and weren't taking any fares. Imagine getting here at 7am on Malaysian/Singapore and unable to get into the city. A great image for our city :(
An epic fail for the taxi's. All they've done is pushed more people to Uber.

All those people coming in from Singapore/Malaysia certainly won't be getting a cab back to the airport.

Hopefully the cabbies involved in Friday's demonstration are black listed from the airport.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#1907 Post by A-Town » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:30 am

OlympusAnt wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:13 pm
I bought my tickets today. Can't wait to see that beautiful place in Feb next year.

My last JQ experience wasn't favorable, so lets hope it goes better.

Time for flights are as follows:

ADL 1945
HOB 2205

HOB 1745
ADL 1915

Days: TUE, THU & SAT
This is excellent news, I can't believe it's taken this long for direct flights to and from Hobart to occur.

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#1908 Post by Westside » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:48 pm

Rideshare service UberX starts pick-ups at Adelaide Airport
And I'm guessing it's more convenient than the airport bus stop. If AAL could find extra space for rideshare, why couldn't that have been used for a bus stop that is actually visible and convenient!?

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#1909 Post by citywatcher » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:18 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
OlympusAnt wrote:

Also, the UberX think went down badly today. The bad taxi drivers were having a whinge and weren't taking any fares. Imagine getting here at 7am on Malaysian/Singapore and unable to get into the city. A great image for our city :(

All those people coming in from Singapore/Malaysia certainly won't be getting a cab back to the airport.

Hopefully the cabbies involved in Friday's demonstration are black listed from the airport.
Why they don't have a right to stand up for themselves ?

Sent from my GT-S7275T using Tapatalk

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#1910 Post by Jaymz » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:01 am

Have recently returned from a holiday around the UK and Ireland and had the opportunity to try out Qatar Airways for my return flights to London. What an excellent airline!! The new Airbus A350 is more than impressive and even in economy it felt much roomier than other planes i've flown in. The service was also exemplary, inflight entertainment top notch and they almost served too much food and drinks if that's even possible. To top it off, I treated myself to a business class upgrade for my final leg from Doha - Adelaide........ all I can say is WOW!!! I can see why they've won best airline in the world for the past couple of years.

The two other pleasing things for me were that both the Adelaide - Doha - Adelaide flights were at capacity (including business class), proving that South Australia is more than capable of supporting more overseas flights. Also when waiting to board my initial flight to Doha, there was Emirates and Fiji Airlines lined up to take off that night as well. Something that would've seen like a fantasy in Adelaide even 5 years ago.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#1911 Post by Kasey771 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:56 am

citywatcher wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:18 pm
Brucetiki wrote:
OlympusAnt wrote:

Taxis have had the monopoly for the best part of 80 years. They got lazy and service standards dropped abysmally low. A bit of competition might be good for them. Uber is a great service. clean cars, real time arrival notification and cashless payment. If uber is available, I'll not be using taxis again.
Taxi drivers sooking and picketing the Airport would be like Coles workers protesting & picketing a Woollies because they offered a lower price and better in-store service on the household essential groceries.
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1912 Post by rev » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:03 pm

citywatcher wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:18 pm
Brucetiki wrote:
OlympusAnt wrote:

Threatening people, attacking people, and causing a public disturbance goes beyond standing up for your self.

@ Jaymz, the question is, what other International airlines/destinations are possible/viable to/from Adelaide.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#1913 Post by Jaymz » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:11 am

That is actually a good question Rev. Tokyo is the main one that springs to mind, for either the business or leisure traveller. Although this is already well serviced with direct flights form Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and..... Cairns. Would be a stretch, but maybe possible if the Cairns one ever got dropped by Jetstar.

The only other ideas I could think of is Phuket or Honolulu, but whether or not Adelaide has enough demand for another dedicated leisure destination is the question.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#1914 Post by muzzamo » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:35 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:11 am
That is actually a good question Rev. Tokyo is the main one that springs to mind, for either the business or leisure traveller. Although this is already well serviced with direct flights form Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and..... Cairns. Would be a stretch, but maybe possible if the Cairns one ever got dropped by Jetstar.

The only other ideas I could think of is Phuket or Honolulu, but whether or not Adelaide has enough demand for another dedicated leisure destination is the question.
Bangkok perhaps? Would be yet another alternative for stopovers to europe as well as connections to Asia. Thai already flight Perth Sydney Brisbane Melbourne Auckland so it seems logical.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#1915 Post by Jaymz » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:28 pm

muzzamo wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:35 pm
Jaymz wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:11 am

Bangkok perhaps? Would be yet another alternative for stopovers to europe as well as connections to Asia. Thai already flight Perth Sydney Brisbane Melbourne Auckland so it seems logical.
Yeah that was another one I was thinking too. And even if it didn't happen to be Thai Airways for a Bangkok or Phuket service, why couldn't Tiger Airways try another Asian holiday destination from Adelaide? I flew with them to Bali once and was fine, mind you, my return flight was the very day before they ceased all services from Australia to Indonesia. Lucky!

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#1916 Post by Pistol » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:44 pm

I'm still liking Vietnam Airlines for a direct Adelaide - HCMC route.
Think a strong Vietnamese population in SA, strong tourism to Vietnam and a rapidly increasing Airline.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#1917 Post by OlympusAnt » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:48 pm

Adelaide to Ho Chi Min City/Saigon sounds good :)

I was thinking Japan, or maybe another Chinese carrier to Beijing/Shanghai
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#1918 Post by muzzamo » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:06 am

Its a shame that tiger and jetstar dont seem to be using bali as an asian hub. Would be a great way to get to other parts of Asia. The direct traffic to Bali is enough to sustain each route and then the connecting traffic is a bonus.

E.g.
Adelaide to Saigon (via Bali)
Adelaide to Singapore (via Bali)
Adelaide to Bangkok (via Bali).

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1919 Post by Nathan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:25 am

Had a layover at Denpansar once on route to Japan (flying Garuda Indonesia). Would not ever do it again.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1920 Post by Ben » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:33 am

Nathan wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:25 am
Had a layover at Denpansar once on route to Japan (flying Garuda Indonesia). Would not ever do it again.
How long ago was this? the airport was rebuilt and reopened last year i think and now is one of the nicest most modern in the world. Previously it was very third world.