News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
muzzamo
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#1861 Post by muzzamo » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:21 am

ghs wrote:There were rumours of AirAsia returning to Adelaide last year as well.

It would be great to see AirAsia return but it's fair to say that there's still not much substance to it.

Why would an airline pull out of a city and then return a couple of years later ?
Another go at the government subsidies?

markleslie
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1862 Post by markleslie » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:38 am

Spotted this morning on a facebook post from Tony Fernandes, owner of Air Asia. Posted 6 hours ago... "Adelaide here we come".

Super proud of all my crew led by Captain Ibrahim. And first officer Vincent and Purser Ruijaruuneglai who did a superb heroic job bringing back everyone safely. Airasia don't make engines and all airlines have engine failures. But when it does happen it takes great pilots and great leadership in times of crisis. I'm beaming with pride. From videos you can see all guests calm , and from the many emails and whatsapp I got , the Captains announcements kept everyone calm. If it was a full service airline the pilot would have been a hero. But because it's a low cost carrier press and so called experts make wild accusations and forget the heroics of our crew. I want to thank the many Australians who have praised airasia for all we have done despite all the adverse press. Adelaide here we come.

Stefan P
High Rise Poster!

#1863 Post by Stefan P » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:02 pm

Evening all,

Tomorrow marks the inaugural service of Fiji Airways to Adelaide. They become Adelaide's 8th foreign carrier along side (Cathay, Malaysia, Singapore, China Southern, Air NZ, Emirates & Qatar).

FJ961 ETA 2030
FJ960 ETD 2200

I wish them all the best.
Stefan

Mr Smith
High Rise Poster!

#1864 Post by Mr Smith » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:44 am

Stefan P wrote:Evening all,

Tomorrow marks the inaugural service of Fiji Airways to Adelaide. They become Adelaide's 8th foreign carrier along side (Cathay, Malaysia, Singapore, China Southern, Air NZ, Emirates & Qatar).

FJ961 ETA 2030
FJ960 ETD 2200

I wish them all the best.
Yes and rather ironic that out of 8 international airlines, not one of them is Australia's supposed 'national carrier' Qantas.

Shame on you Qantas you are a joke

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1865 Post by Ho Really » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:41 am

Ben wrote:I don't care if they would pay me to fly with them i would never fly with air asia, its a bit like Russian roulette.
I agree to a certain extent. Although I like to see more carriers to Adelaide, Air Asia is one of those we shouldn't be crying out for. QANTAS instead, as already mentioned in the thread,...
Mr Smith wrote:Shame on you Qantas you are a joke
...should re-introduce international flights. It is shameful they have shunned us. Personally I don't care too much as I fly Star Alliance, I have status with them, but for those that fly oneworld and are FF and like QANTAS it has been a let down. What I would like to see is more carriers to China. Cathay Pacific and China Southern are not enough for what is the largest market in the world. Also one day, who knows, other Asian airlines. Out of the North American airlines it would be nice to see Hawaiian or even Air Canada (Vancouver is a great gateway to America). The other big three are uninspiring, but hey, if they chose to come here it would be a bonus.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

alexczarn
Gold-Member ;)

#1866 Post by alexczarn » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:30 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Ben wrote:I don't care if they would pay me to fly with them i would never fly with air asia, its a bit like Russian roulette.
I agree to a certain extent. Although I like to see more carriers to Adelaide, Air Asia is one of those we shouldn't be crying out for. QANTAS instead, as already mentioned in the thread,...
Mr Smith wrote:Shame on you Qantas you are a joke
...should re-introduce international flights. It is shameful they have shunned us. Personally I don't care too much as I fly Star Alliance, I have status with them, but for those that fly oneworld and are FF and like QANTAS it has been a let down. What I would like to see is more carriers to China. Cathay Pacific and China Southern are not enough for what is the largest market in the world. Also one day, who knows, other Asian airlines. Out of the North American airlines it would be nice to see Hawaiian or even Air Canada (Vancouver is a great gateway to America). The other big three are uninspiring, but hey, if they chose to come here it would be a bonus.

Cheers
I know United and American have both talked about adding an Adelaide-Melbourne leg. Key phrase though, "talked about."

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#1867 Post by OlympusAnt » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:38 am

Does Qantas codeshare with Emirates?

Also, its clear the American carrier will not be a direct flight, but a stopover in Sydney or Melbourne.
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

utaussiefan
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1868 Post by utaussiefan » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:51 am

OlympusAnt wrote:Does Qantas codeshare with Emirates?

Also, its clear the American carrier will not be a direct flight, but a stopover in Sydney or Melbourne.
Qantas Do codeshare on the Emirates flights.

Qantas don't have to operate international flights out of Adelaide, they aren't a government airline, they are a commercial business, if they think they can't make a profit competing against Singapore Airlines to Singapore of Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong, they won't do it. They aren't mandated to operate international flights out of Adelaide. I know everyone would love to see international flights with Qantas from Adelaide but I don't see it happening any time soon, especially with Qantas soon to be codesharing with Malaysian, codesharing with Emirates and oneworld partner Qatar flying out of Adelaide, plus QFF access for Fiji Airways.

USA flights would be great, even if they are only 3 or 4 times a week connecting to Sydney or Melbourne flights.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1869 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:14 pm

alexczarn wrote: I know United and American have both talked about adding an Adelaide-Melbourne leg. Key phrase though, "talked about."
I'd rather an airline that doesn't beat you off a flight because it's overbooked :lol:

Algernon

#1870 Post by Algernon » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:58 pm

I fly frequently between Australia and Europe via Dubai. Emirates and Qantas is codeshared. Out of the last 6 times I flew I think one of those I got Qantas the whole way through (Sydney-melbourne-dubai-prague). I may also have been on Qantas from Adelaide last year but my memory is hazy. I usually book the actual ticket through Qantas though. When I return prague-dubai-adelaide I always get Emirates the whole way through. No matter if you book from Emirates or Qantas it's the same price. But just quietly, hope you get the Emirates plane. They're outstanding.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#1871 Post by muzzamo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:48 am

Algernon wrote:I fly frequently between Australia and Europe via Dubai. Emirates and Qantas is codeshared. Out of the last 6 times I flew I think one of those I got Qantas the whole way through (Sydney-melbourne-dubai-prague). I may also have been on Qantas from Adelaide last year but my memory is hazy. I usually book the actual ticket through Qantas though. When I return prague-dubai-adelaide I always get Emirates the whole way through. No matter if you book from Emirates or Qantas it's the same price. But just quietly, hope you get the Emirates plane. They're outstanding.
None of your international flights out of Adelaide were Qantas.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1872 Post by rev » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:35 pm

Algernon wrote: I may also have been on Qantas from Adelaide last year but my memory is hazy.
I think you need to spend less time in the Coopers bar mate :hilarious:

PeFe

#1873 Post by PeFe » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:35 am

But the Coopers Bar is the best thing at Adelaide Airport!!!!!!!!!!..........................discuss

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1874 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:15 am

PeFe wrote:But the Coopers Bar is the best thing at Adelaide Airport!!!!!!!!!!..........................discuss
It's better than the Muffin Break, dodgy cafe and the awful Asian place put together.

Actually, Adelaide Airport has very few quality places for a pre-flight bite to eat.

Nathan

#1875 Post by Nathan » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:38 am

Brucetiki wrote:Actually, all Australian Airports have very few quality places for a pre-flight bite to eat.
FTFY