News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#2236 Post by SBD » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:03 pm

JAKJ wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:04 pm
rev wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:06 pm
Civilian air traffic has continued for decades around the Middle East and over it while there’s been one war after the next. While concerning I don’t think it’s that much of a worry because as I said airlines will go around the war zone. MH17 is an anomaly as to why it was flying over Crimea during an active war where both sides are firing off SAM’s at each other’s aircraft.
As much as I also like SQ, there was an SQ flight about 20/30 minutes difference to the MH flight flying the exact same route... I think QF was one of the few airlines who had actually did a proper risk analysis and avoided that airspace.
Hindsight is a great tool for determining whether a risk assessment is "proper". Do you know that neither Malaysian nor Singapore did a proper risk assessment, as distinct from them doing one and determining the risk was sufficiently low to fly that route on the grounds that those SAMs had never shot down a cruising civilian airliner before?

[Shuz]

#2237 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:18 pm

Wow you did not just basically airbrush history the fact that Russian backed rebels in Ukraine were given rocket launchers by Russia to shoot down aeroplanes that resulted in the death of over 200 people. nothing to do with SAMs.

Christ, disrespectful much.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

SBD

#2238 Post by SBD » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:08 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:18 pm
Wow you did not just basically airbrush history the fact that Russian backed rebels in Ukraine were given rocket launchers by Russia to shoot down aeroplanes that resulted in the death of over 200 people. nothing to do with SAMs.

Not at all! As far as I know (perhaps you have information I have not seen?) there had been no indication whatsoever that the rebels intended to shoot down a civilian airliner of an uninvolved country. My point was that before it happened, it is plausible to consider that someone did assess the risk, and determined it to be acceptable. With hindsight, they might have a different view. Malaysian Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Air India and EVA Air all thought it was OK to fly in that area at the time.

I'm not sure what distinction you are aiming to make between a rocket and a surface-to-air missile (which is what Wikipedia calls it).

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2239 Post by rev » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:01 am

SBD wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:08 pm
[Shuz] wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:18 pm

Not at all! As far as I know (perhaps you have information I have not seen?) there had been no indication whatsoever that the rebels intended to shoot down a civilian airliner of an uninvolved country. My point was that before it happened, it is plausible to consider that someone did assess the risk, and determined it to be acceptable. With hindsight, they might have a different view. Malaysian Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Air India and EVA Air all thought it was OK to fly in that area at the time.

I'm not sure what distinction you are aiming to make between a rocket and a surface-to-air missile (which is what Wikipedia calls it).
Don’t bother explaining your self, most people understand where you’re coming from. Shuz is just trying to gain some brownie points because every other post he makes is an attack on someone.

What happened in Ukraine was a tragedy, whoever was responsible. Let’s just leave it at that and move back to the topic...anyone been down to the airport to see how work is progressing on the new expansion?

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#2240 Post by Mpol03 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:20 am

I was there Monday, not a huge amount completed at this stage. Or rather not a huge amount more than when I was last there.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#2241 Post by OlympusAnt » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:32 pm

The taxi rank hasn't moved yet
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

TrebleSketch
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2242 Post by TrebleSketch » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:48 pm

It looks like they have started working on the foundations, as can be seen on the time lapse photo on the Airport's website.

Modbury_Man
Gold-Member ;)

#2243 Post by Modbury_Man » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:07 pm

Does anyone know what is happening where the level lanes for buses to stop used to be near the taxi tank?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2244 Post by rev » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:36 pm

Following the crash of two month old Lion Air jet in Indonesia, the feds have black listed the whole Lion air group including Malindo which is in talks to fly to Adelaide.

AdelaideGold
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2245 Post by AdelaideGold » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:42 am

Mitsubishi to build new national headquarters at Adelaide Airport, leaving former manufacturing site at Tonsley

Daniel Wills, State Political Editor, The Advertiser
November 5, 2018 12:30am

Subscriber only

•Smart SA: Tonsley, where creative thinking gets together
•$165 million redevelopment of airport’s international terminal

MITSUBISHI will build a new national headquarters at Adelaide Airport, moving from its long-term home at Tonsley where it made vehicles until a decade ago.

The company will announce the major new development today, which is expected to cost about $26 million and result in more staff, after its lease at the Tonsley precinct expired. Construction will start next year, near the entrance to Adelaide Airport.

A concept image of the new Mitsubishi Motors headquarters at the entrance of the Adelaide Airport. Picture: Mitsubishi
Mitsubishi produced its final car at Tonsley in 2008, but maintained a national headquarters at the site to oversee vehicle imports and a national marketing and dealer network.

The Tonsley precinct later came under control of the State Government, which sought to create a technology hub surrounded by educational institutions including universities and TAFE.

The current State Government has confirmed it will pay a new $2 million grant to keep the headquarters in SA, after what Mitsubishi Motors Corporation chief operating officer Trevor Mann said was an extensive search that included consideration of moving interstate.

Workers are expected to make the move in late 2020, and Mitsubishi expects to increase its staff from a current number of 150 full-time employees and 30 contractors to a total of 200. Mr Mann said an interstate move posed “potential risks to the business operations”.

“Mitsubishi is successful in Australia and we know that the workforce are a key factor in that success, which is why we are keeping the national headquarters in SA and creating a new facility,” Mr Mann said.

It is understood recent airport expansions, including the new Atura hotel, were significant factors in the decision.

Mitsubishi Motors Australia chief executive John Signoriello said the new head office would “provide state-of-the-art facilities and easier access for collaboration with our teams across Australia.

“MMAL is a national team that relies on collaboration with our regional staff and dealers to get our job done,” he said. “Adelaide Airport proved to be the logical place.”

Premier Steven Marshall said Mitsubishi’s decision showed confidence in SA’s future.

“SA has been home to Mitsubishi for over 38 years and in that time it has contributed significantly to our state,” he said.

Mr Marshall has said his government would be much less active in “picking winners” than its Labor predecessor, but willing to consider cases that offer strong return on public investment.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#2246 Post by Goodsy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:00 am

I didn't realise Mitsubishi was still here

Nathan

#2247 Post by Nathan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:39 am

Also, :lol: at the idea that anyone will be walking on the footpath on that corner.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#2248 Post by OlympusAnt » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:11 pm

Its probably cheaper for them to operate on Commonwealth land than SA land
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

Aidan

#2249 Post by Aidan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:56 pm

Very disappointing that the government's resorting to corporate welfare (a $2m grant) to stop Mitsubishi moving interstate.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

[Shuz]

#2250 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:06 pm

I thought they campaigned against exactly this sort of thing?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.