News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

Anyone read the sunday mail re: new airport?

#1 Post by Howie » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:10 pm

Nice article on the sunday mail last weekend about the new adelaide airport. Looks stunning, from the renderings and i really like the glass design which gives an unprecendented look at the adelaide cbd with the adelaide hills as a backdrop and the great coastline.

Can't wait for it to open!

petermaloney
High Rise Poster!

#2 Post by petermaloney » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:31 pm

have you got a picture of the current airport?

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Howie » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:06 pm

not at the moment pete, but there's heaps of pics of the old one floating around on ssc.

ilovethiscity
Sen-Rookie-Sational

News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#4 Post by ilovethiscity » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:04 pm

Hey guys I am new to this forum but I have one burning question which I hope somebody can answer. What is going to happen to the current International Terminal which adjoins the new fabulous looking terminal. Also what are the plans for the current domestic terminal. Maybe convert it into a shopping mall like a mini westfield which would make a great destination for passengers in transit with only a few hours to spare. Also a McDonalds which all other major airports have. On a recent visit to Sydney they have Krispy Kreme near the airport. Just a few ideas but if anybody could shed some light on my theory that would be great! :D :lol:

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by Howie » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:03 pm

Hiya Ilovethiscity, welcome to S-A.

As for what happens with the current intl airport, from what i hear it's to become a facility for flight training and i believe qantas may be leasing part of it.

The current domestic, i haven't got the foggiest what will happen to that.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by AG » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:05 am

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Howie » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:36 am

AG wrote:Some of the retailiers moving into the new terminal:

http://www.aal.com.au/download.asp?id=101

http://www.aal.com.au/download.asp?id=121
nice find AG.

Btw, any read of the hostile takeover bid of Coopers this morning?

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

Malaysian Airlines to use 747 on Adelaide route

#8 Post by Al » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:26 am

From the Advertiser. I remember Malaysian Airlines use to use 747s when they flew via Melbourne but now the direct flights will be switching to 747s in their own right. I suppose this reflects the increased interest in Adelaide from overseas travellers. I also believe the new terminal will only add to this trend.
Airline on an SA high
14mar06

MALAYSIA Airlines has been bleeding badly but its South Australian business is in such good health it is lifting passenger capacity by 400 seats a week.

Mounting losses at Malaysia Airlines have prompted a radical rescue plan that involves cutting costs by 20 per cent, ceasing services on many unprofitable routes and stopping corporate sponsorship.

The Malaysian national carrier lost $222 million in the December quarter amid soaring fuel and staff costs, and needed more than $1.4 billion to solve its cash crisis.

Without the rescue plan it would have run out of cash by April, the global carrier said.

However, for its four SA flights each week, Malaysia Airlines is switching to larger 747 aircraft.

Malaysia Airlines state manager Richard Green said the move would provide an extra 400 seats per week from March 26.

"Adelaide's pretty right because we have been making a profit," he said. "Naturally we have got to watch our expenses like everyone else, but at this stage we are increasing our services, not decreasing."

SA's strong performance was due to several factors.

"We have been established here for some time and are well-known in the market, and the agents know the product," Mr Green said.

Malaysia Airlines is a major corporate sponsor in SA, with contracts including the Adelaide Festival of Arts, South Australian Jockey Club, South Australian Cricket Association and Balaklava Racing Club.

"All of our contracts are staying so we're pretty right with that," Mr Green said.

Malaysia Airlines employs 86 people in SA, including 65 at its national call centre in North Terrace, city. It said in its rescue plan that only three of its 10 Australian routes were profitable.

Jamo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#9 Post by Jamo » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:24 pm

Nice to see the "Big Birds" returning to our skies and the new airport. It has been a long time since Ive seen passenger 747's. Something very "wow" when you see those great leviathins cruising through the sky.
Wonder if we will ever see the Airbus A380 in our skies?

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Al » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:51 pm

The Airbus A380 is more efficient than the 747 so I guess it's possible if they can enough passengers to fill it.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#11 Post by aceman » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:32 pm

Jamo wrote:Nice to see the "Big Birds" returning to our skies and the new airport. It has been a long time since Ive seen passenger 747's. Something very "wow" when you see those great leviathins cruising through the sky.
Wonder if we will ever see the Airbus A380 in our skies?
Not that long ago I saw a Singapore Airlines 747 on its approach to land seeing I live at Golden Grove and we are not far off the flight path. But your right 747's dont fly to adelaide very often.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#12 Post by AG » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:32 pm

The vast majority of flights in and out of Adelaide are just Qantas 737s. A lot of the international flights tend to be operated by 777s, with the rare 747 now and then.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#13 Post by aceman » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:36 pm

AG wrote:The vast majority of flights in and out of Adelaide are just Qantas 737s. A lot of the international flights tend to be operated by 777s, with the rare 747 now and then.

Correct, Cathay Pacific that fly to Adelaide twice a week I believe use Airbus A330 which I believe are the equivalent to the ageing Boeing 767. 767's are sometimes used for domestic flights to and from adelaide but nowhere near as much as 737's.

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by Al » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:50 pm

Here's the beast that'll be coming here four times a week. Gotta love these 747s.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#15 Post by AG » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:01 pm

I actually don't really enjoy travelling on 747s when compared to the newer planes in the fleets such as the 777. The 747s may have a large capacity, but compared with the 777s, the seats provided are typically significantly narrower (economy class), and the ride is a fair bit more bumpier and rougher during takeoff and landing. Midflight can't really be judged because it can depend on turbulence.