News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
jimbly
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#2551 Post by jimbly » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:17 pm

Found this in a magazine I picked up from World Routes, adds something to the "where next" conversation!
Attachments
IMG20191004104209.jpg

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2552 Post by SBD » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:23 pm

jimbly wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:17 pm
Found this in a magazine I picked up from World Routes, adds something to the "where next" conversation!
I'm not sure what the reason is for quite different layout of the two graphs. Combining them into a single sorted list looks like it becomes:
  • Delhi
  • Ho Chi Minh City
  • Launceston
  • Phuket
  • Tokyo
  • Christchurch
  • Manila
  • Townsville etc
So from the previous question about whether India is worthwhile, there seems to be a clear answer that Delhi is the most common destination people check through to from Adelaide, outside of Europe, Africa or the Americas, anyway.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2553 Post by rev » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:15 am

SBD wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:23 pm
jimbly wrote:
I'm not sure what the reason is for quite different layout of the two graphs. Combining them into a single sorted list looks like it becomes:
  • Delhi
  • Ho Chi Minh City
  • Launceston
  • Phuket
  • Tokyo
  • Christchurch
  • Manila
  • Townsville etc
So from the previous question about whether India is worthwhile, there seems to be a clear answer that Delhi is the most common destination people check through to from Adelaide, outside of Europe, Africa or the Americas, anyway.
Because one list is for Australia/NZ, the other for Asia.

Of course Delhi ranks highly. Look how many Indians are here.
Direct flights to Japan would still be a bigger economic benefit to the state overall, and not just the airport in terms of them raising their figures.
And besides Tokyo, it's cities in third world and developing countries.
If we want to grow our exports to India, or any country for that matter, the best way to do it in most cases is via shipping. Far more volume in one hit.

SBD

#2554 Post by SBD » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:54 pm

rev wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:15 am
SBD wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:23 pm
jimbly wrote:
  • Delhi
  • Ho Chi Minh City
  • Launceston
  • Phuket
  • Tokyo
  • Christchurch
  • Manila
  • Townsville etc
Because one list is for Australia/NZ, the other for Asia.

Of course Delhi ranks highly. Look how many Indians are here.
Direct flights to Japan would still be a bigger economic benefit to the state overall, and not just the airport in terms of them raising their figures.
And besides Tokyo, it's cities in third world and developing countries.
If we want to grow our exports to India, or any country for that matter, the best way to do it in most cases is via shipping. Far more volume in one hit.
I understood why there were two lists, but if they were drawn in the same style graph with the same scale, it would be easier to visually compare entries in each list. That's why I merged them. It would be interesting to see if there are any European or American destinations that would get close, even if current technology still doesn't support non-stop flights to those cities.

The airport doesn't care about export value, only numbers of flights and passengers. The only things worth air freight for export would be mail and fresh food. The lists seemed to be about outbound passenger movement final destinations, and therefore the most likely to be financially viable as a destination.

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#2555 Post by TorrensSA » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:50 pm

Ho Chi Minh City is currently building a new airport (Long Thanh not to be confused with Long Tân which is 50km away), construction has / should start this year and stage 1a be built by 2023 handling up to 17 million passengers a year. The current airport Tan Son Nhat is over capacity it's built for 25m and is seeing 35m passengers a year, so flights to Adelaide are out of the question until the new airport is built. Hopefully the airport is built on time and we see some direct flights in 2023. Long Thanh airport is planned to cater for 100 million passengers after 2035. In comparison Changi sees 66m passengers a year, this new airport is ideally located for connecting to flights from Adelaide.

ghs

#2556 Post by ghs » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:05 pm

It's probably still about 10 years away, but my money would be on thailand as being the next international
destination for Adelaide.

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#2557 Post by TorrensSA » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:59 am

There already should be direct flights to Thailand, it's already an established tourism centre and the economy has already boomed. Vietnam's economy is growing pretty fast, tourism is increasing. We should have already had direct flights to Thailand since it's already established. Ho Chi Minh City will become a hub once the new airport is running, Phuket which is on the graph is all tourism, there's no Bangkok listed. Suvarnabhumi sees nearly double the passengers (65m) Tan Son Nhat does (35m) but its not on the graph . If Bangkok was going to be a hub for flights from Adelaide it would have already happened. The thing is Saigon already is seeing a lot of passengers from Adelaide, the airlines can see this, the airport is over capacity and a new shinny one is being built, a flight to Adelaide will be about 8 hours and flights to Europe 12+, it will be comparable time wise with Changi. Direct flights to Phuket should happen, I doubt Bangkok will see any - it should already have them. Long Thanh HCMC should see direct flights, there will be new carriers or expanded ones. Vietjet air is going to have direct flights to Brisbane, it would make sense for them to do direct flights here.

Patrick_27

#2558 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:43 pm

I know someone currently working on the expansion project.

A couple of things that I picked up from talking to them was that some of the interior fit out looks awful (mirroring the worth of the 80s), the Virgin lounge is going to be huge, but most importantly that we should expect an announcement of further expansion/upgrade works before this project wraps up. Apparently a lot of the contractors have already been advised they will be moving on elsewhere to the building to both upgrade existing parts of the building and further expanding the terminal. This is telling of the renders and plans which show extensive internal upgrades to the main retail hall.

Also, not sure if anyone has noticed or whether this has been the case for ages, but it looks like they've upgraded the grass images at all of the gates to represent how Adelaide is looking nowadays.

Ho Really

#2559 Post by Ho Really » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:43 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:43 pm
[...]

Also, not sure if anyone has noticed or whether this has been the case for ages, but it looks like they've upgraded the grass images at all of the gates to represent how Adelaide is looking nowadays.
Did you mean the "gross" images?

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Patrick_27

#2560 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:01 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:43 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:43 pm
[...]

Did you mean the "gross" images?

Cheers
Haha, funnily enough, I meant 'glass' but yes, gross also fits the mould.

Ho Really

#2561 Post by Ho Really » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:59 pm

Wanted to check the tarmac tonight as a friend is leaving on QR915, and what do we get? The continuing saga of the AAL Webcam...

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#2562 Post by adelaide transport » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:57 pm

I have just received an e-mail from Adelaide Airport to say they have finally fixed the webcam. I have checked it out and it is now working correctly-finally.

rev

#2563 Post by rev » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:21 pm

adelaide transport wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:57 pm
I have just received an e-mail from Adelaide Airport to say they have finally fixed the webcam. I have checked it out and it is now working correctly-finally.
With a refresh of the image very minute, what's the point?
Its 2019, put up a proper camera that live streams.

SBD

#2564 Post by SBD » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:34 pm

rev wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:21 pm
Might that have privacy or security issues? I wouldn't want to have an internet camera live streaming my workplace to the world.

rev

#2565 Post by rev » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:45 pm

SBD wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:34 pm
rev wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:21 pm
Might that have privacy or security issues? I wouldn't want to have an internet camera live streaming my workplace to the world.
They are already doing that, just with a really shitty camera.