News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
dbl96
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#2566 Post by dbl96 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:17 am

SBD wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:23 pm
jimbly wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:17 pm
Found this in a magazine I picked up from World Routes, adds something to the "where next" conversation!
I'm not sure what the reason is for quite different layout of the two graphs. Combining them into a single sorted list looks like it becomes:
  • Delhi
  • Ho Chi Minh City
  • Launceston
  • Phuket
  • Tokyo
  • Christchurch
  • Manila
  • Townsville etc
So from the previous question about whether India is worthwhile, there seems to be a clear answer that Delhi is the most common destination people check through to from Adelaide, outside of Europe, Africa or the Americas, anyway.
Quite surprising that Chinese cities don't feature in the list of top international destinations. Considering the very large and mobile Chinese international student and migrant communities, it seems quite odd that a destination like Manila would rank higher.

I'm also quite surprised that Launceston ranks so high. I would have thought Newcastle and Woolongong would be more prominent, but I suppose its not included in the calculation because most people would fly to Sydney and then catch the train there. The same goes for the larger centres in Victoria.

The lack of direct flights from Australia to India is a bit of a paradox. Despite there being an Indian migrant community of comparable size to the Chinese one, there are only a handful of direct flights to India, while China is served by hundreds.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2567 Post by SBD » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:12 pm

dbl96 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:17 am
SBD wrote:
jimbly wrote:
Found this in a magazine I picked up from World Routes, adds something to the "where next" conversation!
I'm not sure what the reason is for quite different layout of the two graphs. Combining them into a single sorted list looks like it becomes:
  • Delhi
  • Ho Chi Minh City
  • Launceston
  • Phuket
  • Tokyo
  • Christchurch
  • Manila
  • Townsville etc
So from the previous question about whether India is worthwhile, there seems to be a clear answer that Delhi is the most common destination people check through to from Adelaide, outside of Europe, Africa or the Americas, anyway.
Quite surprising that Chinese cities don't feature in the list of top international destinations. Considering the very large and mobile Chinese international student and migrant communities, it seems quite odd that a destination like Manila would rank higher.

I'm also quite surprised that Launceston ranks so high. I would have thought Newcastle and Woolongong would be more prominent, but I suppose its not included in the calculation because most people would fly to Sydney and then catch the train there. The same goes for the larger centres in Victoria.

The lack of direct flights from Australia to India is a bit of a paradox. Despite there being an Indian migrant community of comparable size to the Chinese one, there are only a handful of direct flights to India, while China is served by hundreds.
Just guessing: Perhaps China has lots of airports, so the "China" flights are spread across more places and none of them feature in a "top ten" list. From what I have seen on TV, India has a strong railway system, so perhaps people fly to/from a smaller number of airports and use trains to/from their final endpoint.

Victoria does not have many regional airports, and even less that it makes sense to fly to (with a stopover) from Adelaide. Mildura has direct flights. Bendigo has daily flights form Sydney, but it would be much quicker to fly to Tullamarine and hire a car or use a bus. Portland has flights from Essendon, but flying to Mount Gambier probably makes more sense for most people.

Stefan P
High Rise Poster!

#2568 Post by Stefan P » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:37 am

Morning all,

Qatar Airways will deploy the A350-1000’s on its daily Doha-Adelaide flights from 29/3/20 replacing the A350-900’s.
Stefan

dbl96
High Rise Poster!

#2569 Post by dbl96 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:05 pm

SBD wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:12 pm

Just guessing: Perhaps China has lots of airports, so the "China" flights are spread across more places and none of them feature in a "top ten" list. From what I have seen on TV, India has a strong railway system, so perhaps people fly to/from a smaller number of airports and use trains to/from their final endpoint.

Victoria does not have many regional airports, and even less that it makes sense to fly to (with a stopover) from Adelaide. Mildura has direct flights. Bendigo has daily flights form Sydney, but it would be much quicker to fly to Tullamarine and hire a car or use a bus. Portland has flights from Essendon, but flying to Mount Gambier probably makes more sense for most people.
Good point. China certainly has more cities with major international airports than India.

Yes, I suppose travelers to India could be using trains to get to their final destinations. It still seems a bit odd though. If people are already flying to get to India in the first place, you could expect substantial volumes of them to take connecting domestic flights. Yes, India's railway system is strong, but it is nowhere near as modern and fast as China's, and India is a large country with long distances to cover.

I wonder if the Indian migrant community in itself has a particular concentration of origin in and near Delhi. Wealth is concentrated in a much smaller number of places in India compared with China. Maybe people from Delhi simply have more means to travel and emigrate to Australia than other regions in India. But this still doesn't explain the fact that a large number of Indian migrants in Australia come from Southern India.

ghs

#2570 Post by ghs » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:00 pm

dbl96 wrote:
SBD wrote:
jimbly wrote:
  • Delhi
  • Ho Chi Minh City
  • Launceston
  • Phuket
  • Tokyo
  • Christchurch
  • Manila
  • Townsville etc

Mate, have you ever thought about the fact that India is a very poor country ? The difference is that Chinese people have the money
to travel on a regular basis. If you can't work out something simple like that then you might as well look at going back to primary school.

Patrick_27

#2571 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:38 am

Unless I missed an earlier announcement? It was announced yesterday by Adelaide Airport on their Facebook that the Vickers Vimy will be relocated from its longterm carpark into the new terminal extension, pictured below. Fantastic outcome!
Attachments
73059984_2768310629866296_1945810095656927232_o.jpg

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#2572 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:00 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:38 am
Unless I missed an earlier announcement? It was announced yesterday by Adelaide Airport on their Facebook that the Vickers Vimy will be relocated from its longterm carpark into the new terminal extension, pictured below. Fantastic outcome!
They had the artists impressions on display at the Vickers Vimy open day yesterday as well. Speaking of which, that was a good day yesterday, though like most free events it looks like a heap of people booked tickets and then never turned up, so in the end entry inside was open for all.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2573 Post by SRW » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:20 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:38 am
It won funding from the Libs in May during the federal election campaign.
Keep Adelaide Weird

rubberman

#2574 Post by rubberman » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:35 pm

ghs wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:00 pm
dbl96 wrote:
SBD wrote:

• Delhi
  • Ho Chi Minh City
  • Launceston
  • Phuket
  • Tokyo
  • Christchurch
  • Manila
  • Townsville etc

Mate, have you ever thought about the fact that India is a very poor country ? The difference is that Chinese people have the money
to travel on a regular basis. If you can't work out something simple like that then you might as well look at going back to primary school.
There's more US dollar millionaires in India than in New Zealand, and we have plenty of tourists from NZ.

Whether a country overall is poor is irrelevant. It's the number of people who can afford to come here that's relevant. If there are more millionaires in India than NZ, but visitors from India are a fraction, a logical assessment says that it's a lot more complex than a simplistic "India is poor" line.

I'd also point out that there's a lot of flights from the Philippines with even fewer US dollar millionaires, and outside those, like India most people are poor.

Simplistic approaches don't stack up here. We really should be asking ourselves the real reason why we are not getting the tourist traffic from a significant middle and upper middle class demographic in our region.

I'd also point out that if Sydney and Melbourne haven't yet established themselves as tourist destinations for the Indian market, there's an opportunity for Adelaide to fill a gap as a signature destination. However, that would require sophisticated analysis, rather than some throwaway "too poor" line.

Ho Really

#2575 Post by Ho Really » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:05 am

rubberman wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:35 pm
ghs wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:00 pm
There's more US dollar millionaires in India than in New Zealand, and we have plenty of tourists from NZ.

Whether a country overall is poor is irrelevant. It's the number of people who can afford to come here that's relevant. If there are more millionaires in India than NZ, but visitors from India are a fraction, a logical assessment says that it's a lot more complex than a simplistic "India is poor" line.

I'd also point out that there's a lot of flights from the Philippines with even fewer US dollar millionaires, and outside those, like India most people are poor.

Simplistic approaches don't stack up here. We really should be asking ourselves the real reason why we are not getting the tourist traffic from a significant middle and upper middle class demographic in our region.

I'd also point out that if Sydney and Melbourne haven't yet established themselves as tourist destinations for the Indian market, there's an opportunity for Adelaide to fill a gap as a signature destination. However, that would require sophisticated analysis, rather than some throwaway "too poor" line.
ghs, please don't make these uninformed comments. India has plenty of billionaires, millionaires and people in the upper class that will travel. Just give them the right product and they will come.

rubberman, makes good points. I was recently at ITB Asia in Singapore. It's the biggest travel/tourism trade show in Asia, only second behind its parent held in Berlin. It's primarily a B2B show, where business is done between DMCs, tour operators, hotels etc. Australia had no real presence, except for a small motel. Last year Queensland had a few exhibitors, including Daydream Island promoting their 2019 relaunch after the devastation by cyclone Debbie in 2017. India though, had a big presence. If Adelaide and South Australia are serious they need to attend, ITB India, in April 2020. Indians know Adelaide. The grand majority know us through cricket. Mention the World Cup, India-Pakistan and their eyes light up.

While at the Marhaba Lounge in Changi T3 (substitute lounge for Star Alliance Gold and SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold members) I happen to speak to an Indian-Australian who works for SANTOS. He's been commuting (for a lack of a word) between SA and India regularly to visit his family back there. He's one who would welcome a direct flight, whether it be Mumbai, Delhi or Bangaluru (Bangalore). Problem is no one will take this on. We've mentioned QANTAS, Air India, IndiGo and Vistara. He was travelling with SQ, basically the airline of choice for those wanting great service between Australia and India. Malaysia Airlines is a lesser of a choice, but it's there as a backup. Air India is of course patronised by Indians (Melbourne and Sydney), but, if they had a choice they'd all fly SQ. Air India service-wise is not there. It is also on the verge of collapse, draining money from the state. When I mentioned Vistara, I got a good response. In fact it's the Indian partner to SIA, Tata Brothers, that inspires Indians to fly with them. Indians have a high regard and respect for this company. We can only hope that at some stage with their acquisition of Boeing 787 aircraft that they'll consider Australian destinations and in particular Adelaide. This may be to the detriment of SQ, that up to now has been a favourite of Indians flying to and from Adelaide. We'll have to see how this pans out in years to come, but in the meantime SA needs to be constantly knocking on their door.

Cheers
Last edited by Ho Really on Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Ho Really

#2576 Post by Ho Really » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:21 am

While at the SilverKris Lounge in Adelaide before my flight to Singapore I had a short chat to one of the ladies working in the lounge. Besides the lady from SIA at the reception the other workers serving and cleaning are from Atura. They have been contracted to supply the catering, etc., at the lounge. I asked whether the new lounge would be common-user, she replied yes. This could mean, Cathay Pacific, China Southern, Emirates, Malaysia, Qatar and Singapore Airlines will share the lounge. Air New Zealand is also a possibility. At present they have an agreement with QANTAS. I know for certain that Atura will bid for the contract at the new lounge.

As for the SilverKris Lounge and its employees, just as it was last week when their Adelaide office closed, the reception lady etc., will not have a job when the expansion is completed. It will be a sad day for Singapore Airlines in SA as their only presence will be an airport rep and those contracted to do check-ins at the counters.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#2577 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:12 pm

Stefan P wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:37 am
Morning all,

Qatar Airways will deploy the A350-1000’s on its daily Doha-Adelaide flights from 29/3/20 replacing the A350-900’s.
Adelaide is ahead of the curve :applause: Is Adelaide the most diverse commercial airport in Australia? We get A350s, but also BAe 146, Fokker Friendships, Piaggio Avanti, Antonov 124, all sorts of rare aircraft. I never see these types in other cities.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2578 Post by Brando » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:14 pm

As some of you have discussed regarding India.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... five-years
India is planning to open 100 additional airports by 2024, as part of a plan to revive economic growth in Asia’s third-largest economy, according to people with knowledge of the matter.

The proposal, which includes starting 1,000 new routes connecting smaller towns and villages, was discussed at a meeting last week to review infrastructure needed by 2025, the people said, asking not to be identified as the discussion is private. Steps to start a plane-lease financing business in the country was also discussed, they said.

The news comes as Indian carrier IndiGo announced a contract for 300 Airbus A320neo jets – one of Airbus' biggest-ever deals, worth more than $33 billion at sticker prices – and includes the latest A321XLR long-range variant, allowing IndiGo to offer single-aisle flights between city pairs that can’t support larger jets.

The purchase will widen IndiGo's lead in the world’s fastest-growing major aviation market as the carrier embarks on an ambitious expansion plan, seeking to eventually provide flights to cities such as London.

Founded in 2005 by ex-US Airways Chief Executive Officer Rakesh Gangwal and former travel agent Rahul Bhatia, IndiGo has quickly outpaced rivals to grab almost half of the local market. Yet the picture isn’t entirely rosy: IndiGo posted its biggest-ever quarterly loss last week and the two billionaire founders are engaged in a legal battle.

Airport expansion

With economic activity at a six-year low and prospects of further slowdown looming, Prime Minister Narendra Modi is keen to double down on infrastructure projects in a bid to revive growth and achieve a target of making India a US$5 trillion economy by 2025.

Last month, the government cut corporate tax rates, putting India on par with some of the lowest in Asia, to help compete with the likes of Vietnam and Indonesia for investments amid global trade tensions.

India’s plans to expedite airport development still trails that of China’s, which has set a goal of having 450 commercial airports by 2035, almost double the number at the end of 2018. A spokesman at India’s civil aviation ministry was not immediately available for a comment.

The proposal by India’s state think tank also includes boosting the number of locally trained pilots to 600 a year and double the domestic aircraft fleet to 1,200 during the period, the people said.

The Indian government has committed investments of 1 trillion rupees (US$14bn)  to build airports in the next 5 years.

Just three years back, only 75 of India’s 450 runways were functional, as airlines avoided flying to smaller, World War-era airstrips in smaller towns. But Modi’s subsidy program, which partly funds airline losses while capping fares on remote routes, has helped add as many as 38 airports to the nation’s aviation map at the start of this year, while contracts were given to airlines to start flights to a further 63 airports with no or limited connectivity.

While the lure of India – with an emerging middle class flying for the first time – has attracted companies such as Singapore Airlines and AirAsia to set up local units, provincial taxes in the nation make jet fuel one of the most expensive in the world, while intense competition has often driven fares below cost, making profits elusive for most airlines.

The government is aware of the high taxation burden and higher jet fuel prices, and will rationalize the tax regime as soon as next year, the people said.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2579 Post by Ben » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:01 am

probably not the thread for it but im skeptical of such immense and quick growth. this happened with Malaysia and indonesia and that didn't end well. Too many people rushed through pilot school to get the numbers up. Hopefully they learn from past mistakes.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2580 Post by rev » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:28 pm

Ben wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:01 am
probably not the thread for it but im skeptical of such immense and quick growth. this happened with Malaysia and indonesia and that didn't end well. Too many people rushed through pilot school to get the numbers up. Hopefully they learn from past mistakes.
It would have more to do with standards and quality of training then how many new pilots graduate, and also the quality and standards within the airlines them selves.