News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#1921 Post by Nathan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:57 am

Ben wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:33 am
Nathan wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:25 am
Had a layover at Denpansar once on route to Japan (flying Garuda Indonesia). Would not ever do it again.
How long ago was this? the airport was rebuilt and reopened last year i think and now is one of the nicest most modern in the world. Previously it was very third world.
To be fair, it was early 2000's. I had to sleep in the airport on the way there, and the airline put me in a hotel on the way back - did not enjoy either. I stick with Qantas these days for going to Tokyo.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1922 Post by crawf » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:06 am

Ben wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:33 am
Nathan wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:25 am
Had a layover at Denpansar once on route to Japan (flying Garuda Indonesia). Would not ever do it again.
How long ago was this? the airport was rebuilt and reopened last year i think and now is one of the nicest most modern in the world. Previously it was very third world.
Agreed, it's a very nice terminal now. Much nicer than Australian airports.

However their immigration process is an utter shambles. Bad organisation, limited staff and ridiculous line ups with people trying to push in.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1923 Post by Norman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:14 pm

Renewed call for direct flight to America from Adelaide to cash in on rising tourism, trade
Erin Jones, Liz Walsh, The Advertiser
22 minutes ago

AMERICAN visitors have flooded into the South Australian tourism market, jumping 13 per cent in the year to June, prompting renewed calls for direct flights to the United States.

SA Tourism Commission data released last week showed the number of Americans visiting the state reached 54,000 people, while Chinese visitors increased to 56,000.

The Opposition has pledged to work with industry stakeholders to establish a direct flight to Los Angeles in a bid to unlock further tourism potential and trade, if elected.

It comes after a minister’s briefing earlier this year showed SA exported 1.9 million tonnes, worth $6.5 billion, to the United States in the five years to 2015/16.

The document, obtained through Freedom of Information, stated a “direct air link would streamline the supply chain for these exports” leaving through Sydney or Melbourne.

Opposition spokesman Tim Whetstone said only 8.4 per cent of US exports left from Adelaide Airport, according to the document — and there was room to improve.

“We need to be ambitious and increasing the number of direct flights between important trading countries will benefit our exporters,” Mr Whetstone said.
“The cost of freighting goods to the eastern states is a huge impost for SA businesses compared to the advantages of having a direct link, particularly for perishable exports such as fresh food.”

He said the Liberals had also committed $12.8 million towards new trade offices in the US, Japan, Malaysia and Dubai, if voted into power in March.
“Despite the US being SA’s second biggest export market, the Weatherill Government has failed to establish South Australian in-country representation,” Mr Whetstone said.

In 2014, Tourism Minister Leon Bignell said State Government said it was working towards a direct US flight, potentially from Adelaide to Hawaii, because LA was a “fair stretch”.

Mr Bignell told The Advertiser the direct flight was still on its radar and “we hope to attract ... the US in the future”.

“South Australia will host World Routes in 2019, which is expected to bring more than 3000 key decision makers from the airline and aviation industry to Adelaide,” Mr Bignell said.

“This will pump $20 million into our visitor economy and is another opportunity to showcase the best SA has to offer.”

Mr Bignell said a project led by State Government and SA Freight Council had found the existing freight capacity out of Adelaide was being well used at 75 per cent.

The draft findings also included around half of air freight exports still left from interstate and businesses and the freight industry wanted new flights to expand opportunities, including to the US.

Tourist, Kelly McCabe, 23, from Cincinnati, Ohio, arrived in Adelaide about a month ago after spending time in Brisbane and Sydney and has loved her time here.

“Originally, Adelaide wasn’t really on my list of places to visit, but I have really enjoyed my time here,” she said. “It is the most comfortable city.”

Ms McCabe said she had taken in the sights of a wine tour, Glenelg and Henley beaches and loved her experience of visiting the Royal Adelaide Show.

But before the graphic design graduate leaves Adelaide in a week, she is keen to visit the zoo.

“I’d also really love to hold a koala,” she said.
I agree, the US market is steadily increasing, and a direct flight to LA or San Francisco would be a great boost to our tourism industry.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#1924 Post by OlympusAnt » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:40 pm

If its gonna happen, I reckon an American based airline will do something similar to QF12 and do Adelaide-Sydney/Mel-LAX and not allow transport between ADL and SYD (due to eighth freedom rules)

Qantas codeshares with AA, so I'd put it down to them most likely

Edit: they actually don't now :roll:
Last edited by OlympusAnt on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1925 Post by Norman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:43 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:40 pm
If its gonna happen, I reckon an American based airline will do something similar to QF12 and do Adelaide-Sydney/Mel-LAX and not allow transport between ADL and SYD (due to eighth freedom rules)
It should be a direct flight, otherwise it would be no better than current services via the eastern states or Auckland.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#1926 Post by OlympusAnt » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:48 pm

That's true, its pretty much replacing an existing service

A350's easily make the range, so its just a question of an airline giving it a go
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

SBD

#1927 Post by SBD » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:56 pm

Does Honolulu have enough domestic flights to be considered as a gateway airport?

At present, to get to most places in the USA, we have to fly ADL-SYD-LAX/SFO/DFW-destination. There could be a market for ADL-HNL-destination as an alternative, avoiding both Sydney and Los Angeles airports and only one stopover, about half-way.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1928 Post by Norman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:14 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:48 pm
That's true, its pretty much replacing an existing service

A350's easily make the range, so its just a question of an airline giving it a go
Exactly, and that's what the government and opposition are currently trying to establish.
SBD wrote:Does Honolulu have enough domestic flights to be considered as a gateway airport?
It has some domestic connection, but nowhere near enough to be a viable gateway. That's why most flights go though LA, San Francisco, Dallas and even Vancouver, where major airlines have hubs.

ChillyPhilly

#1929 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:34 pm

Not to mention that in terms of distance, Hawaii is a bit of a deviation from the States (it's west of Mexico).
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#1930 Post by Splashmo » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:40 pm

Having done a red-eye with AA from Honolulu to DC via LAX (two narrow-body flights) - I wouldn't recommend it. US airlines are best avoided at all costs.

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#1931 Post by Westside » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:23 pm

Agreed, after a similar awful experience on a red-eye from LAX to JFK on AA. Keep the domestic flights for small hops in the country, but that's it!

Also, there is a lot that is West of Mexico, so why is Hawaii such a huge deviation?

Aidan

#1932 Post by Aidan » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:58 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:Not to mention that in terms of distance, Hawaii is a bit of a deviation from the States (it's west of Mexico).
Going from Adelaide to Hawaii and then continuing on the same great circle, the plane would fly over the far north of California and some other sparsely populated regions before reaching Ottawa. So for most of the USA, Hawaii's less of a detour than Seattle or Portland.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#1933 Post by I Follow PAFC » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:28 am

First Dreamliner touches down in Adelaide.
ADELAIDE’S first Dreamliner touches down this morning when Air New Zealand starts a regular trans-Tasman service using the new-generation Boeing 787-9.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6abc59c4ac
Attachments
bdaa6240259843df498c48846f79d2fe.jpg
bdaa6240259843df498c48846f79d2fe.jpg (65.5 KiB) Viewed 3509 times
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

[Shuz]

#1934 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:34 am

Not that I really take an interest in aviation but that is an awesome looking plane!
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1935 Post by crawf » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:34 am

That is one sleek looking plane. Love the black and white livery