News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#1876 Post by rubberman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:43 pm

Algernon wrote:I fly frequently between Australia and Europe via Dubai. Emirates and Qantas is codeshared. Out of the last 6 times I flew I think one of those I got Qantas the whole way through (Sydney-melbourne-dubai-prague). I may also have been on Qantas from Adelaide last year but my memory is hazy. I usually book the actual ticket through Qantas though. When I return prague-dubai-adelaide I always get Emirates the whole way through. No matter if you book from Emirates or Qantas it's the same price. But just quietly, hope you get the Emirates plane. They're outstanding.
You will always get Emirates z Prahy, and it would be most unusual for Qantas to bother to fly you to Sydney or Melbourne, then have to transfer you. Having said that, it happened to me once aus Frankfurt - it was FRA-DBX, then DBX-BNE then BNE-ADL. :( Still, that was a rewards flight. I've never had it happen when I've paid full fare. :wink:

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1877 Post by crawf » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:29 am

Extra Virgin flights from Adelaide to Darwin (via Alice Springs).
Virgin announces more flights between Darwin Alice Springs and Adelaide
http://www.ntnews.com.au/lifestyle/virg ... 6a2d3486c7

Flights between Darwin, Alice Springs and Adelaide are set to become more accessible after Virgin Australia announced it would increase services.

The airline also intends to update the flight schedule to better suit business travellers. The changes will come into effect from September 5 and include:

• One extra service from Adelaide to Alice Springs to Darwin on Tuesday and Friday afternoons.

• One extra service from Darwin to Alice Springs to Adelaide on Friday and Saturday mornings.

• Virgin Australia’s Wednesday and Thursday flights from Alice Springs to Darwin, as well as the new Friday afternoon flight, will now depart at 5pm.

ChillyPhilly

#1878 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:32 pm

FWIW: site as at 13/07.

Last edited by ChillyPhilly on Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Stefan P
High Rise Poster!

#1879 Post by Stefan P » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:12 am

crawf wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:29 am
Extra Virgin flights from Adelaide to Darwin (via Alice Springs).
Virgin announces more flights between Darwin Alice Springs and Adelaide
http://www.ntnews.com.au/lifestyle/virg ... 6a2d3486c7

Flights between Darwin, Alice Springs and Adelaide are set to become more accessible after Virgin Australia announced it would increase services.

The airline also intends to update the flight schedule to better suit business travellers. The changes will come into effect from September 5 and include:

• One extra service from Adelaide to Alice Springs to Darwin on Tuesday and Friday afternoons.

• One extra service from Darwin to Alice Springs to Adelaide on Friday and Saturday mornings.

• Virgin Australia’s Wednesday and Thursday flights from Alice Springs to Darwin, as well as the new Friday afternoon flight, will now depart at 5pm.
They have downgraded the DRW-ASP-ADL flights to the smaller Fokker 100's which are operated by Virgin Australia Regional Airlines.

FYI, some may notice that 1 PER-ADL-PER rotation on the weekends are now operated by Virgin Australia Regional Airlines A320's.
Stefan

Stefan P
High Rise Poster!

#1880 Post by Stefan P » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:25 pm

Evening all,

Air New Zealand will be sending a B787-9 to Adelaide tomorrow instead of the usual A320. This will be also a promotional visit in the lead up to the start of the B787 services in October.
Stefan

Ho Really

#1881 Post by Ho Really » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:27 pm

Hi Stefan...Air New Zealand B789 very nice...photos, photos, photos, please. Saw it fly over while I was putting out the washing. Will definitely book a trip to NZ next year!

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1882 Post by crawf » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:09 am

Pretty scary stuff that has been uncovered over the last couple of days with a plot to destroy a Etihad plane from Sydney. Since then airports nationally have turned into chaos with much stricter security and long queues. It's frustrating and sad that this could become the new norm, though totally understandable as majority of people (myself included) would rather feel safe.

Anyone been to the Airport over the last couple of days and experienced any issues?

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1883 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:02 am

crawf wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:09 am
Pretty scary stuff that has been uncovered over the last couple of days with a plot to destroy a Etihad plane from Sydney. Since then airports nationally have turned into chaos with much stricter security and long queues. It's frustrating and sad that this could become the new norm, though totally understandable as majority of people (myself included) would rather feel safe.

Anyone been to the Airport over the last couple of days and experienced any issues?
I was at Melbourne Airport Sunday night and the place was near-empty. The extra security is an extra swab test before you hit the check-in counters, but they only had one person doing the swabs.

I had a longer wait to get through security Friday night here (before the extra security was announced).

bits
Legendary Member!

#1884 Post by bits » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:47 pm

crawf wrote: It's frustrating and sad that this could become the new norm, though totally understandable as majority of people (myself included) would rather feel safe.
Is this anything new?
Port Arthur, Ned Kelly, Snow Town, etc.
Humans have been killing humans even in Australia since the beginning.
The fact we can forensically check and protect a plane is really just a weird quirk of an over engineered system. We could do the same and check everyone as they exit their street in the morning but we do not.

Imagine if it is a 2 hour security check line to go to Rundle Mall? Would we accept that because it makes that single meeting point safer?
Is that the new world we live in?

The airports going to this measure only proves to me how out of control the plane industry is. People have lost grip of reality.
Cinemas, theatres, churches, malls etc all have the same density of people. Yet they do not feel the need to xray your bags, ask you to remove your coat and shoes before entry.

Where is the line, or at least why is the line currently the airport?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1885 Post by rev » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:28 pm

There's extra security/things being done behind the scenes that you don't see. It's a multi-layered thing. Some is public, a lot isn't. And they aren't about to come out and publicly tell you everything they are doing, for obvious reasons.

They need to better vet people coming here, and those found doing the wrong thing like those in Sydney, need to be deported. Simple no tolerance approach to this shit.

Airports should also have thermal imaging scanners as well. Not just metal detectors.
Getting on a domestic flight should require proof of ID being presented.
There should also be more physical security present.

And regional airports, some of which receive large passenger aircraft from Qantas and Virgin, should also receive the same treatment.

This is the world we live in today sadly.

SBD

#1886 Post by SBD » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:40 pm

Regional airports capable of passenger aircraft over a certain size have to increase their security because of it. I think it was Mount Gambier had to do that a few years ago as part of an upgrade.

Has it been disclosed whether the people arrested were immigrants or born in Australia?

Why is catching a plane so much higher security risk than going to a concert/theatre/shopping/footy match? We are not advised to arrive two hours early for any of those.

rev

#1887 Post by rev » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:13 pm

I believe the fathers were from Lebanon not sure though.

You aren't taking luggage with you to a concert or the theatre.
And you are now advised to arrive much earlier to the footy, and to bring as little as possible with you. It's going to be a common thing from now on at all major stadiums around the country, and not just for the footy.

An incident happening during a flight is a higher risk.
There's little that can be done while the plane is airborne.
And it can be used as a weapon against targets on the ground, causing more casualties.

All public (gathering) places and buildings will eventually be behind barricades or barriers of some sort.

A good idea for airports should be for passengers to present ID/passport even for domestic flights, with the id document shown being scanned for verification. It might take longer, but I'd rather take more time and get to where I'm going safely and in one piece then get on a plane with a terrorist and be caught up in that crap.

Nathan

#1888 Post by Nathan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:59 pm

It's a massive over-reaction, that only serves to fan fear and disadvantage everyday life, trying to address a risk that is incredibly low. Let ASIO do their job and give the security theatre a rest.

bits
Legendary Member!

#1889 Post by bits » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:56 pm

Death from crazy person is not new.
People have been getting killed by crazy people forever. Those crazy people could be Christians or Muslims or Sikh or Jedi, as has been the case forever.

There is no new world we have entered, this is exactly as the world has always been.

rev

#1890 Post by rev » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:30 am

Cancer - often self inflicted by smoking and use of other hazardous substances.
Heart disease - as above.
Respiratory illness - often caused by not looking after your self properly or not getting the proper treatment ie often self inflicted.
Suicide - pretty obvious.
Traffic accidents - often caused by inattentive driving, drunk or drug driving, speeding or a combination of. Often self inflicted.
Heatwave self inflicted through a lack of preparation and self care.
Sporting accidents - often accidental or self inflicted.
Pedestrian deaths - what, did they fall down an uncovered manhole or step out in front of a truck or get hit by an out of control car? Maybe space junk fell out of the sky and hit them?
Consumer product deaths - misuse by consumers? Negligence by manufacturers? Cheap products from China with banned poisonous/hazardous substances(causing cancer)?
Lightning - self inflicted due to carelessness..who stays outside when there's a lightning storm?

The only thing on that list you posted besides terrorism that is 100% inflicted upon others is homicide.

So your list is null, void, and useless. It doesn't prove anything or help you make any point(if that's what you are trying to do).

I have the choice to eat healthy, to stay fit and be healthy.
I have the choice not to smoke.
I have the choice not to drink or do drugs before driving.
I have the choice not to stay outside in the elements during an electrical or thunderstorm.
I have the choice to wear proper protective equipment for the sport I'm playing, if any are applicable. I have the choice to be fit and ready for that sporting activity and be trained for it.
I have the choice to make my self aware and stay informed of dodgy products from overseas that are hazardous to my health and wellbeing in the short term or long term.

I do not have the choice whether someone decides to murder me.
I do not have the choice whether I'm caught up in a terrorism attack.

The government can't legislate to safe guard you from your own stupidity so you don't do drugs and drive so you don't smoke so you eat health and stay fit. They can pass laws to make things illegal but they can't stop you. Because it's your choice and as long as people exist who want to smoke or do drugs there will be people who will supply them.

What the government can do though is increase security measures to make it as difficult as possible for a terrorist or terrorists to carry out an attack. They can't stop someone from waking down Rundle Mall with a knife stabbing people as is happening overseas, but they can take measures to ensure a mass casualty event like a bombing on a plane or attack with a truck through a crowded public place as has happened overseas does not happen here.
That can be done by installing safety barriers in key locations as is already being rolled out around the country.
It can be done by increasing security measures at our airports, as is being done. And still more can be done.