News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#2251 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:39 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:06 pm
I thought they campaigned against exactly this sort of thing?
They did, the current government have basically said anything they could to get themselves into government.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2252 Post by crawf » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:31 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:39 pm
[Shuz] wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:06 pm
I thought they campaigned against exactly this sort of thing?
They did, the current government have basically said anything they could to get themselves into government.
Both parties are just as bad as each other.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2253 Post by omada » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:44 am

It's amazing that after many years of handouts to GMH, Mitsubishi etc, even now this still occurs. "Oh pleease stay in SA, pretty pleease." It's clear alot of these large corporates view SA as a pissant state. Let them go I say, and let us embrace new industries.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2254 Post by rogue » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:23 am

omada wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:44 am
It's amazing that after many years of handouts to GMH, Mitsubishi etc, even now this still occurs. "Oh pleease stay in SA, pretty pleease." It's clear alot of these large corporates view SA as a pissant state. Let them go I say, and let us embrace new industries.
Every state gives handouts, its not isolated to SA

EBG

#2255 Post by EBG » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:57 pm

Went past the site of the new international terminal today, Nothing to see here. Piling has finished but nothing else has started.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2256 Post by rev » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:30 pm

omada wrote:
New industries won’t just turn up.

SBD

#2257 Post by SBD » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:03 am

rev wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:30 pm
omada wrote:
It's a relatively small handout/incentive/whatever in the scheme of things, but I wonder what it is tied to. The Mitsubishi press release says all nice things about wanting to stay in Adelaide because it has a skilled workforce here. Did the state buy the advertising budget for that press release, or have we essentially paid them to move out of Tonsley because it doesn't fit the image for that precinct's redevelopment?

Waewick

#2258 Post by Waewick » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:33 am

SBD wrote:
rev wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:30 pm
omada wrote:
It's a relatively small handout/incentive/whatever in the scheme of things, but I wonder what it is tied to. The Mitsubishi press release says all nice things about wanting to stay in Adelaide because it has a skilled workforce here. Did the state buy the advertising budget for that press release, or have we essentially paid them to move out of Tonsley because it doesn't fit the image for that precinct's redevelopment?
Never thought of it from that perspective.

Why wouldn't it fit Tonsley?

I wonder if the move is more about getting people in the Airport area?

ml69
Legendary Member!

#2259 Post by ml69 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:27 pm

Waewick wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:33 am
SBD wrote: It's a relatively small handout/incentive/whatever in the scheme of things, but I wonder what it is tied to. The Mitsubishi press release says all nice things about wanting to stay in Adelaide because it has a skilled workforce here. Did the state buy the advertising budget for that press release, or have we essentially paid them to move out of Tonsley because it doesn't fit the image for that precinct's redevelopment?
Never thought of it from that perspective.

Why wouldn't it fit Tonsley?

I wonder if the move is more about getting people in the Airport area?
I think I can provide some clarity to this. I work at Mitsubishi in Adelaide, as well as being a S-A forum member.

The move to the airport precinct has nothing to do with the government kicking us out of Tonsley because of wrong fit or whatever. Rather, it's about what best suits the needs of Mitsubishi for the coming decades.

Mitsubishi Australia have become highly successful and profitable in recent years, and have now overtaken Ford, Holden and Nissan in 2018 annual sales.

The lease run out soon in our outdated (1960's) headquarters at Tonsley. We also don't need as much office accomodation in the future as obviously we don't have to accomodate R&D, Engineering departments etc as we did when cars were built here.

Therefore, we are doing well but in outdated office space ... that's the reason for the move to new offices.

The high-profile location at the entrance to the airport (opposite IKEA) is also a statement that Mitsubishi Australia is headquartered in Adelaide. Many Adelaide people don't even know that we still exist. I've lost count of the number of times when I tell people that I work at Mitsubishi, and their reply is "Oh, are they still around?"

Waewick

#2260 Post by Waewick » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:56 pm

Cheers for that.

Can i say, as a recent purchaser of my mitsubishi I'd never ever go back to a Ford or Holden. Brilliant cars.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#2261 Post by OlympusAnt » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:15 pm

I've seen several 380's on the road. Are they a reliable car?

Sorry, off topic :wink: :wink:
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#2262 Post by how good is he » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:43 pm

ML69, thanks for your input. Can I ask are cars/trucks etc still Mitsubishi’s main product/biggest income earner as I know they make other things like air-cond’s etc? Also it may be controversial but are the cars now being made overseas better and cheaper to make than when they were made here (be it Mitsubishi, Holden or Ford)?

ml69
Legendary Member!

#2263 Post by ml69 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:26 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:15 pm

I don't know. Try googling used car reviews for A380.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#2264 Post by ml69 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:45 pm

how good is he wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:43 pm
ML69, thanks for your input. Can I ask are cars/trucks etc still Mitsubishi’s main product/biggest income earner as I know they make other things like air-cond’s etc? Also it may be controversial but are the cars now being made overseas better and cheaper to make than when they were made here (be it Mitsubishi, Holden or Ford)?
I work on the car side of the business. The truck side uses the "Fuso" brand. I'd be confident that the vehicle side is the biggest contributor .... we are totally separate to the air-conditioning business.

As for overseas vs local made ... definitely cheaper overseas. It genuinely wasn't profitable to make cars in Australia (unfortunately) ... the Aussie car market is too small to be sustainable. And we weren't able to find export markets because our cars were too expensive.

Anyway I'll stop there ... think I'm getting off topic!

wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2265 Post by wilkiebarkid » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:03 pm

ml69 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:26 pm
OlympusAnt wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:15 pm

I don't know. Try googling used car reviews for A380.
From all accounts the A380s have been a very reliable passenger vehicle, with terrific international capabilities.