News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Message
Author
Goodsy
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1012
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:39 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 179 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#2701 Post by Goodsy » Fri May 08, 2020 7:12 pm

Nort wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:35 pm
An Australian consortium buying Virgin Australia and it having more Australian ownership that QANTAS would be a hell of a marketing tool.
imagine if the children of Reg Ansett bought it

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1499
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 458 times
Been thanked: 113 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#2702 Post by SBD » Sat May 09, 2020 12:06 am

rev wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:49 am
PeFe wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:22 pm
Yes Virgin have to pay reportedly $10-15 million per year to use the Virgin "brand". That is the first thing the new owners of Virgin will drop...the name.

There is probably no room in the Australian market for a full price Qantas competitor (with their own cut price airline to compete with Jetstar)

Qantas have already started their war against any new competitor flagging cut price Jetstar fares in the future. Alan Joyce hinted at $39 Sydney Melbourne return.

I will miss Tiger, I flew them lots.....but I realize that the only way for reasonably priced airfares in the future is for the the third airline to be competitive.
So does anyone know why Virgin has racked up debts in the billions? Whereas Qantas says they can survive all the way up till the end of 2021 as is?
Whats the major differences?

And if a second full service carrier adopted a similar approach to Qantas, why wouldn't it be viable to have both?

Personally I think the government should get back in on airlines. Some of the biggest and most successful are government owned, as I named earlier. Run it the way Singapore does for example.
Is there any other market in Australia that has the Australian government in competition with private enterprise?

Does Australia have an investment company like Temasek (majority owner of Singapore Airlines) that can buy and sell shares like that? Australia has privatised most of our former large government businesses, rather than place them in an investment fund.

User avatar
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1734
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Adder-Laid, South Australia.
Has thanked: 301 times
Been thanked: 620 times
Contact:

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#2703 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat May 09, 2020 12:09 am

SBD wrote:
rev wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:49 am
PeFe wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:22 pm
Yes Virgin have to pay reportedly $10-15 million per year to use the Virgin "brand". That is the first thing the new owners of Virgin will drop...the name.

There is probably no room in the Australian market for a full price Qantas competitor (with their own cut price airline to compete with Jetstar)

Qantas have already started their war against any new competitor flagging cut price Jetstar fares in the future. Alan Joyce hinted at $39 Sydney Melbourne return.

I will miss Tiger, I flew them lots.....but I realize that the only way for reasonably priced airfares in the future is for the the third airline to be competitive.
So does anyone know why Virgin has racked up debts in the billions? Whereas Qantas says they can survive all the way up till the end of 2021 as is?
Whats the major differences?

And if a second full service carrier adopted a similar approach to Qantas, why wouldn't it be viable to have both?

Personally I think the government should get back in on airlines. Some of the biggest and most successful are government owned, as I named earlier. Run it the way Singapore does for example.
Is there any other market in Australia that has the Australian government in competition with private enterprise?

Does Australia have an investment company like Temasek (majority owner of Singapore Airlines) that can buy and sell shares like that? Australia has privatised most of our former large government businesses, rather than place them in an investment fund.
Closest would be Australia Post, which competes with private courier businesses and companies.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

JCK98
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:55 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#2704 Post by JCK98 » Sat May 09, 2020 2:03 pm

SBD wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 12:06 am
Is there any other market in Australia that has the Australian government in competition with private enterprise?

Does Australia have an investment company like Temasek (majority owner of Singapore Airlines) that can buy and sell shares like that? Australia has privatised most of our former large government businesses, rather than place them in an investment fund.
Future Fund does exist, not sure what they own, also the federal government own Snowy Hydro, who own Lumo and Red Energy.

User avatar
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4444
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 372 times
Been thanked: 530 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#2705 Post by rev » Wed May 13, 2020 9:12 am

https://twitter.com/7NewsAdelaide/statu ... 7230308352

Rex is planning on expanding to offer services between Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, will lease 10 737 & A320..

My prediction...they end up in over their heads financially, Qantas or whatever becomes of Virgin Mk2 ends up taking them over.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1957
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA
Been thanked: 267 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#2706 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed May 13, 2020 2:58 pm

rev wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 9:12 am
https://twitter.com/7NewsAdelaide/statu ... 7230308352

Rex is planning on expanding to offer services between Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, will lease 10 737 & A320..

My prediction...they end up in over their heads financially, Qantas or whatever becomes of Virgin Mk2 ends up taking them over.
Rex would be better off trying to broker a deal with whoever takes over Virgin. IF hypothetically, the new owners were to ditch the Virgin brand, Rex could swoop in and offer their name/brand in exchange for the new owners operating domestic services on their behalf, this would be a good way of ensuring that Virgin don't encroach on the intrastate market.

User avatar
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1734
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Adder-Laid, South Australia.
Has thanked: 301 times
Been thanked: 620 times
Contact:

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#2707 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu May 14, 2020 12:50 am

Why isn't SA going after Virgin?
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

User avatar
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4444
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 372 times
Been thanked: 530 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#2708 Post by rev » Thu May 14, 2020 2:25 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:50 am
Why isn't SA going after Virgin?
The Queensland government is.
Why don't the states & territories setup an investment fund and do it?

muzzamo
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1002
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:44 pm
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#2709 Post by muzzamo » Thu May 14, 2020 10:11 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:50 am
Why isn't SA going after Virgin?
Because states shouldn't be in the business of owning private enterprises.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:31 pm
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#2710 Post by OlympusAnt » Thu May 14, 2020 11:07 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:50 am
Why isn't SA going after Virgin?
because we have no money
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

User avatar
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4444
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 372 times
Been thanked: 530 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#2711 Post by rev » Thu May 14, 2020 12:19 pm

muzzamo wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:11 am
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:50 am
Why isn't SA going after Virgin?
Because states shouldn't be in the business of owning private enterprises.
Quite a few 'states' own airline, as I've posted. And they are very successful.

Anyway, Queensland has its own "fund", the Queensland Investment Corporation.
All states & territories should create a joint fund. We're plunging into big debt in a way we wont get a return, why not take on some debt that will be used to create wealth while we're at it.

rubberman
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1345
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:32 pm
Location: ADL ex DRW, ASP, MGB
Has thanked: 156 times
Been thanked: 245 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#2712 Post by rubberman » Thu May 14, 2020 12:28 pm

muzzamo wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:11 am
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:50 am
Why isn't SA going after Virgin?
Because states shouldn't be in the business of owning private enterprises.
Why is that?

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1499
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 458 times
Been thanked: 113 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#2713 Post by SBD » Thu May 14, 2020 12:36 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:07 am
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:50 am
Why isn't SA going after Virgin?
because we have no money
Neither does Virgin Australia.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:31 pm
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#2714 Post by OlympusAnt » Thu May 14, 2020 1:19 pm

SBD wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:36 pm
OlympusAnt wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:07 am
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:50 am
Why isn't SA going after Virgin?
because we have no money
Neither does Virgin Australia.
Which is why is makes no sense to borrow money to purchase a debt ridden asset
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5936
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 838 times
Been thanked: 1617 times

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#2715 Post by Norman » Thu May 14, 2020 1:30 pm

Investing into Virgin Australia could turn out great. But it could also turn out to be worse than the State Bank disaster.

Let businesses and shareholders take risks. The state should focus on essential government services.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests