News & Discussion: Outer Harbor & Inner Harbor

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Additional $115m for Techport

#16 Post by rogue » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:27 pm

I was at Techport a few weeks ago and managed to get a guided tour of the CUF. Its an amazing project currently designed to handle all 3 AWD's at once with an area set aside for future expansion to accommadate larger ships.

Once all facilities are constructed (including the suppliers precint) and ship building starts, it will truly expose the scale of this huge project.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Inner Harbor Upgrade

#17 Post by rhino » Mon May 04, 2009 4:13 pm

I just found this in Adelaide Now - it's been there for a few days apparently:

Port in $50 million upgrade
CAMERON ENGLAND
April 28, 2009 02:30pm

THE first phase of a $50 million upgrade of the inner harbour at Port Adelaide was opened yesterday.
A $6 million, 2500 sq/m enclosed storage facility, which will be used to store bulk commodities, was opened by Infrastructure Minister Patrick Conlon.
It is the first stage in Flinders Ports' redevelopment of the area which includes:
A $5 million private rail link and interface with the national rail network.
PURPOSE-built, fully enclosed storage facilities.
UPGRADED ancillary facilities including new roads and environmental systems.
The storage facility opened yesterday will be used by Adelaide zinc and lead miner Terramin Australia, to store zinc concentrates from its mine at Strathalbyn before they are exported.
Flinders Ports chief executive Vincent Tremaine said the site comprised about 160,000 sq/m of vacant land, which would be developed over the next few years.
"There's a loader there at the moment that's loading mineral sands and has been for a few months,'' Mr Tremaine said.
"This shed is the next stage. The stages beyond that include additional sheds for other customers, then we're going to allow for rail into the area as well and we've gone through the process of getting land set aside for that so we have proper access.''
He said the development was about providing critical export/import infrastructure needs, primarily for the resources sector.
"We are extremely optimistic about the future of this sector in South Australia, as there are a number of projects that are well advanced throughout the state.
"As a result, Flinders Ports has planned, and is beginning to construct, the facilities we believe will be required in the future to competitively export the state's bulk commodities to customers around the globe.''
Mr Tremaine said the rail stage was probably 12-18 months away while the development of other parts of the project would depend on demand.
cheers,
Rhino

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Outer Harbor Grain Facility

#18 Post by SRW » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:20 pm

It probably doesn't need its own thread, so I'll just mention here that the Overseas Passenger Terminal is receiving a long-overdue $500,000 makeover.

More info:
Keep Adelaide Weird

rhino

#19 Post by rhino » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:47 pm

SRW wrote:It probably doesn't need its own thread, so I'll just mention here that the Overseas Passenger Terminal is receiving a long-overdue $500,000 makeover.

More info:
Apparently they've done a good job with upgrading the passenger terminal. I wonder if Terry Stephens has even seen it since the upgrade?

From today's Adelaide Now:

Lib Cruise Ship Complaint Torpedoed
Joanna Vaughan, AdelaideNow From: The Advertiser February 23, 2010 1:04PM

INTERNATIONAL and interstate visitors have praised Adelaide's Outer Harbor passenger terminal, contradicting claims made by the Opposition that it is a "disgrace".
More than 2000 visitors from all over the world passed through the terminal this morning when one of the world's most modern cruise ships, the Queen Victoria, docked at 7am.
The 2000 passengers were guided from the ship and into buses to tour South Australia within an hour with the help of more than 50 volunteers.
But despite the glowing reports from the passengers, opposition tourism spokesman Terry Stephens said the terminal was "a disgrace".
The terminal was upgraded last year in a $1.1 million makeover by the State Government and Flinders Ports.
But Mr Stephens said he had to question if it was "marginally better than third world" conditions.
"It's an absolute embarrassment as a South Australian and the shadow minister for tourism," he said.
"High-end tourists are entering South Australia through this very ordinary facility. It's underwhelming at best. To us its almost cattleyard-like, it's a very ordinary facility. These people could be ambassadors for us when they talk about South Australia and I think they will be talking about the shamble we have down here.
"The facility itself, is it marginally better than third world? I have to ask it"
Joe Denire from Utah had nothing but praise for the terminal.
"We are really enjoying ourselves, the terminal you have is one of the best ones we have been in so far, it's very nice and it's a real good state here," he said.
"It's very adequate. It's clean and it's laid out very well."
Another passenger from Switzerland who has travelled on the Queen Victoria from New York for the past four months, said the terminal was fantastic.
"It's very friendly, it's a really welcoming terminal because you are greeted by music, local music, and you are close to people.
"Normally when you come into a terminal, it's huge buildings that you have to pass through, but here you are welcomed and it's a very very warm welcome."
The Queen Victoria is 294m long, has a 32.2m beam, stands 12 decks high, has 990 staterooms taking up to 2000 passengers and it has 1000 crew.
It is due to sail at 6pm.
It will be followed by its sister ship, the even larger Queen Mary 2, on March 11.
cheers,
Rhino

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#20 Post by AtD » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:01 pm

Free pie for photos of the upgrade.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#21 Post by Will » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:05 pm

Typical Liberals. Instead of attacking the ALP, they attack their own city and state.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#22 Post by Wayno » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:45 pm

rhino wrote:Apparently they've done a good job with upgrading the passenger terminal. I wonder if Terry Stephens has even seen it since the upgrade?
The Outer Harbour Passenger Terminal is ok (much cleaner and more welcoming than many in larger cities overseas), but IMO the let down is the shuttle bus ride through Pt Adelaide and up Port Rd itself. They are not very nice looking (at the moment).

I'm also not sure if the shuttle buses departing the Terminal travel along the beach front (past CYC along Lady Gowrie Drive & Esplanade - beautiful vistas) or inland via Victoria Rd (yuk!!). I hope it's the former...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#23 Post by monotonehell » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:19 pm

I'm sure that they draw the buses' curtains when driving through the slums of Adelaide. Then open them when they reach the Parklands.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Ho Really

#24 Post by Ho Really » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:49 pm

Will wrote:Typical Liberals. Instead of attacking the ALP, they attack their own city and state.
Opposition critical of cruise terminal upgrade

The South Australian Opposition says cruise ship passengers deserve a better first impression of Adelaide than the Outer Harbor terminal.

The Queen Victoria has docked at the terminal and its 2,000 passengers and 900 crew are spending the day in Adelaide.

Opposition transport spokesman David Ridgway says the Government claims to have spent $500,000 on improvements but he cannot see where.

"First impressions are always often the lasting impressions that people have," he said.

"We're a modern, first-world society, we need to have facilities that provide the right impressions not the wrong impressions."

Another upgrade pledged

Opposition tourism spokesman Terry Stephens says, if elected, the Liberals would immediately begin planning an upgrade.

"It's almost cattleyard-like. Very ordinary facility," he said.

"These people could be ambassadors for us throughout the world when they talk about South Australia and I suspect they'd be talking about the shambles of a terminal we have down here at Outer Harbor."

SA Tourism Minister Jane Lomax-Smith says arriving passengers get a first class welcome to Adelaide.

"We've always had really good reports from visitors on cruise ships," she said.

"The only people who talk down our facilities, our amenities and our destinations, the only people talking down South Australia unfortunately are the Liberal opposition."

Jo Podoliak from the South Australian Tourism Commission says cruise visitors give the local economy a valuable boost.

"Injects about $7.1 million into the local economy and our goal is to grow even further, so this year we've had a record 27 cruise ships arriving in South Australia and that's a significant rise on the past couple of years and we hope to see that trend continue into the future," she said.

The next cruise ship due in Adelaide will be the Queen Mary II in about a fortnight.

ABC News
Will, Jane Lomax-Smith said that, not Terry Stephens.

If you ask passengers (like those from QUEEN VICTORIA) who only need to transit through the terminal to their tour buses, taxis or public transport what do you expect them to say? Even before the terminal was upgraded passengers said the same. I took a survey several years ago when STAR PRINCESS (which then at 113,00GRT was the largest cruise ship ever to visit here) made 5 visits to Adelaide (something that is unheard of today). People were more preoccupied with transport to the city than anything else! Anyway. The real issue is that if Adelaide wants to host a cruise ship here more often like it just did with ATHENA where passengers are required to embark and disembark with their luggage, Terry Stephens is right. Our terminal needs to be brought up to that standard if we want cruise ships to homeport here. Jo Podoliak says "so far this year we've had a record 27 cruise ships arriving in SA". WRONG. This cruise season (November - March) we'll have 21 visits. For the year 2010 we'll total 19. Where she got the 27 from is unknown, even if you count the several visits at Port Lincoln which may have been two or three by ATHENA. If you want 27 - 30 visits a season, get the terminal up to scratch (as said), beautify the area and give the tourists good transport options (like don't upgrade a railway line in the middle of our largest cruise season as Labor has done.)

The ABC News said the next cruise ship here will be QUEEN MARY II in about a fortnight. In fact DIAMOND PRINCESS will be here on Saturday. Then on Monday: PACIFIC SUN; Tuesday: STAD AMSTERDAM and Sunday: AURORA.

Cheers

P.S. These last posts should be under a topic: Outer Harbor Overseas Passenger Terminal (or Cruise terminal). Not Grain Facility.
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#25 Post by Will » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:33 pm

Good to see that J-LO shares my opinion. I have seen for many years now that the Libs prefer to attack their state and city instead of the ALP.

I think this is unfortunate, as the Libs are just banking on stereotypes for political gain. This implies to me that for them, their party is more important than their state.

I haven't stored articles so I cant present concrete proof, but I recall how Alexander Downer would always bag his state, and how MHS and now Isabel bag Adelaide as a backwater, instead of attacking the opposition.

I think this is unfortunate, as the Libs are only banking on our inferiority complex and our ability to be so self-critical for political gain. Enforcing negative stereotypes about SA, is not the way to get votes. As a patriot, this only pushes me away.

Ho Really

#26 Post by Ho Really » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:00 pm

It's natural for an opposition to be negative, but there's a difference between saying we are backwater and becoming one. As for Alexander Downer I wonder why he got us the pandas and lobbied for the warship contract, the Adelaide-Darwin railway, the T1 terminal etc., if he is so negative :?:

Cheers

P.S. I think what Jo Podoliak was referring to in her 27 cruise ship visits is a statement Vincent Tremaine made last November. According to the schedule on Flinders Ports' website which changes as ships visit, I couldn't see 27 visits in the whole of SA. Buggers the mind where they got the number from.

Ho Really

#27 Post by Ho Really » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:02 pm

Howie, it would be good if we got the last posts into a relevant thread. What do you think?

Cheers

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#28 Post by Hooligan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:41 pm

Wayno wrote: I'm also not sure if the shuttle buses departing the Terminal travel along the beach front (past CYC along Lady Gowrie Drive & Esplanade - beautiful vistas) or inland via Victoria Rd (yuk!!). I hope it's the former...
The shuttle buses travel down Victoria Road.

As a kid i remember the ticket collectors on the Outer Harbor line trains were always overly nice to tourists travelling to the cruise ship terminal, They evened out their personality by being assholes to the regulars those.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

rhino

#29 Post by rhino » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:51 am

Not the Grain Facility exactly, but port news all the same ...

Port deal may build into ore ship route
Russell Emmerson From: The Advertiser June 08, 2010 3:01PM

FLINDERS Ports has signed a sister-port deal with the Xiamen Port Authority, China's seventh-largest port.

Flinders chief executive Vincent Tremaine said the agreement, signed by the two groups and Acting Premier Kevin Foley, would build stronger ties between the two groups and potentially lead to a direct China-Adelaide shipping route.
"With mining in South Australia expected to continue to be one of the major economic drivers in this state, and increasing Chinese investment in a growing number of resources industry projects, Flinders Ports is keen to develop new relationships in a broad range of areas," he said.
"Our customers' customers are Chinese so it is very good for us to have a better understanding and association with a port over there.
"One of our goals is to get a direct North Asia service. If we can get something going there it would be great."
Mr Tremaine said the Xiamen delegates had shown an interest in the company's handling of environmental issues and its management of dolphins - a common presence around shipping lanes.
The deal also canvasses an exchange of information about port development, management innovation, construction and information technology.
About 20 delegates, including embassy and company representatives, visited for a tour of Port Adelaide. Mr Tremaine said a return visit was planned this September.
Xiamen processes about 5 million tonnes of cargo every year - on par with the total of all Australian ports - but is only slightly larger than Flinders' facilities, with 70 berths to Flinders' 50.
cheers,
Rhino

rhino

News & Discussion: Outer Harbor

#30 Post by rhino » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:38 pm

$110m Outer Harbor project may provide two-week safety net
Russell Emmerson From: The Advertiser February 01, 2011 12:00AM

A $110 MILLION bulk fuel facility proposed for Outer Harbor would extend the state's fuel stocks from six days to an estimated two weeks.
The project's proponent, Coode Island operator Terminals, describes the project as "infrastructure for the state's future" because it would store an entire ship-load of fuel - compared with the current practice of sending half-filled ships to smaller sites along the Port River.
Managing director George Horman said the project would create 150 construction jobs and could be expected to be operating two years after approval.
"At the moment, you need to bring in a ship every three days to keep the state saturated (with sufficient fuel stocks)," he said.
"But there is active growth in the state and the potential requirements with the mining industry mean there's going to be a lot more needed.
"You need to have this sort of infrastructure for the state's future."
The company is committed to the $70 million first stage, which could store fuel from a fully-laden tanker at the proposed site on Pelican Point Rd, with connections to nearby Flinders Ports.
Terminals is also seeking approval for a $40 million second stage to boost the site's capacity from 85 ML to 135 ML.
The Environment Protection Authority confirmed it was advising the Development Assessment Commission on the environmental aspects of the proposal but would not comment on plans to install 10 above-ground tanks capable of holding flammable, combustible and corrosive liquids.
An EPA report previously warned that fuel storage facilities contributed to the risk of respiratory disease and lung cancer in the Port Adelaide area.
Mr Horman said the proposed development would be "best industry practice" and was required by new legislation to keep the likely hazards from its operations "as low as practicable".
The State Government has endorsed the project, which is open for public comment until Thursday.
A Department of Infrastructure spokesman said the Government was supportive of any move that would improve competition in the fuel sector and improve the state's energy security. He said the Government has not provided incentives to encourage the development.
cheers,
Rhino