[COM] Goodwood Junction Rail Underpass | $110m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
neoballmon
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: SWP: Goodwood Junction Rail Underpass | $110m

#151 Post by neoballmon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:30 pm

AG wrote:
neoballmon wrote: Also, does the Belair line currently have to give way to the Noarlunga line like the ARTC, or is it first who comes goes first?
The Belair Line doesn't need to give way to the Noarlunga Line, because the tracks of those two corridors don't cross each other. ARTC trains nearly always give way to the Noarlunga Line.
That's what I thought when I was there, but then I was looking at plans for it, and if they don't cross now, then they must re-align the track. Which makes me wonder why they couldn't underpass the Belair line as well, and leave only the ARTC line going over Victoria Street..
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#152 Post by AG » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:33 pm

neoballmon wrote:
AG wrote:
neoballmon wrote: Also, does the Belair line currently have to give way to the Noarlunga line like the ARTC, or is it first who comes goes first?
The Belair Line doesn't need to give way to the Noarlunga Line, because the tracks of those two corridors don't cross each other. ARTC trains nearly always give way to the Noarlunga Line.
That's what I thought when I was there, but then I was looking at plans for it, and if they don't cross now, then they must re-align the track. Which makes me wonder why they couldn't underpass the Belair line as well, and leave only the ARTC line going over Victoria Street..
I see what you mean. It looks like they are swapping the positions of the Noarlunga and Belair Line corridors between Goodwood and Adelaide at a quick glance.

BillD
High Rise Poster!

#153 Post by BillD » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:45 pm

Saturday, December 29, 2012. Workers are installing a culvert under the goods line adjacent to Goodwood Platform 4.
The culvert will carry the re-directed Brownhill Creek.
Work will continue through the night ahead of a train around 11am.

BillD
High Rise Poster!

#154 Post by BillD » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:53 pm

These pictures were taken between Victoria Street and Goodwood station.
Large front-end loaders are pulling up the track.

85trainfan
High Rise Poster!

#155 Post by 85trainfan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:02 pm

had some time to kill around the Area today, so had a look at the works.

The house Adjacent the Victoria St level crossing is now gone, and crews have started to dig the Brownhill Creek Diversion trench. The track and sleepers are now pulled up from East Ave all the way to Leader St (Which is the boundary for the Goodwood Junction works).
The Goodwood Signal Gantry was in the process of coming down today, with a crane hooked up ready to lift. just had to wait for the last signal to be taken down from it first.
Some of the pre-cast sections for the Brownhill Creek Diversion were being delivered today. And a large crane and Pile driving machine were semi assembled near the leader St level Crossing.

Some Photos of the works.
Goodwood Junction.

The start of the Brownhill Creek Diversion trench.

Pre-Cast sections awaiting installation.

Crane & Pile Driver @ Leader st. The Jib for the crane was parked in the Showgrounds car park on the back of a Semi still at this point in time.
Regards Jarrod

Any posts made are my own opinion and do not represent any organisation with which I am associated.

85trainfan
High Rise Poster!

#156 Post by 85trainfan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:21 am

A few photos from yesterday's works. Things are moving along quickly.

The Brownhill Creek Diversion Channel. 13 Segments already in Place.

Pile Driver & High Tonnage Crane in position.

SG to Belair anyone :)

One of the Former Points at Goodwood, Re-sleeperd and re-spiked located near the Goodwood Rd underpass.
Regards Jarrod

Any posts made are my own opinion and do not represent any organisation with which I am associated.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#157 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:49 am

Sorry for the off-topic. 85trainfan - If it's standard gauge to Belair, that means neither the diesels nor electrics can run on the line... which can only mean one thing - conversion to light rail. Can you or anyone confirm this?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#158 Post by SouthAussie94 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:56 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Sorry for the off-topic. 85trainfan - If it's standard gauge to Belair, that means neither the diesels nor electrics can run on the line... which can only mean one thing - conversion to light rail. Can you or anyone confirm this?
Shuz, a very small portion of the Belair line around the underpass site is being converted to SG to allow freight trains to continue to run while it is constructed. The current SG line runs right through the middle of the site where I assume the bridge deck will be built, while the passenger line runs along the far Eastern side of the site. During construction freight trains will run on the converted passenger line, before returning to the Freight line just before the Leader Street level crossing.

Once construction is complete, freight trains will return to their current line and the passenger line will be made Broad Gauge again. Hence, no conversion to light rail.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

85trainfan
High Rise Poster!

#159 Post by 85trainfan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:03 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:Sorry for the off-topic. 85trainfan - If it's standard gauge to Belair, that means neither the diesels nor electrics can run on the line... which can only mean one thing - conversion to light rail. Can you or anyone confirm this?
Shuz, a very small portion of the Belair line around the underpass site is being converted to SG to allow freight trains to continue to run while it is constructed. The current SG line runs right through the middle of the site where I assume the bridge deck will be built, while the passenger line runs along the far Eastern side of the site. During construction freight trains will run on the converted passenger line, before returning to the Freight line just before the Leader Street level crossing.

Once construction is complete, freight trains will return to their current line and the passenger line will be made Broad Gauge again. Hence, no conversion to light rail.
Correct southaussie94. The SG will go back to the original alignment when the bridge deck is built.
Shuz, there are some people around who think our suburban network should be SG for various reasons, ( I think it's fine BG ).
This was a bit of fun at them :)
Regards Jarrod

BillD
High Rise Poster!

#160 Post by BillD » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:57 pm

20th Jan 2013.

Workers are preparing a diversion to shift the ARTC goods line over to where the Beliar line ran. This will allow excavation works to commence on the western side of the site.

As the Belair line is on gauge-convertible concrete sleepers, it appears that for some of the length they've simply moved the rail across to the standard gauge position. There is a considerable curve required to join the new works to the existing line at the Victoria St crossing. (You will see this curve in my first shot).

My first photo was taken with the camera held as high as possible, not kept very stable, and therfore of poor quality, but you'll get the idea.

In the second shot we find NR74 and NR75 "Ghan" loco's heading for the hills.

Bill.

BillD
High Rise Poster!

#161 Post by BillD » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:19 pm

21/1/2013 - Early afternoon

The temporary ARTC diversion is mainly in place. The northern end was lined up as I was leaving, but welding was yet to be done.
The orange Hitach machine in the first shot was fitted with a large hook. This machine made its way backward and forward pulling the rail into its new alignment.
Trucks of ballast were arriving. At the rate they're going the line will probably reopen tonight but given the sharp turns involved I imagine that there will be a significant speed restriction through the works.

The next shot is taken from the hills end. The original ARTC alignment is on the left, diverting to the far right. Broad gauge suburban Belair line is in the bottom-right corner.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#162 Post by muzzamo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:51 pm

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#163 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:55 pm

I noticed the other day - Goodwood Station has been half demolished.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: RE: SWP: Goodwood Junction Rail Underpass | $110m

#164 Post by Norman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:39 pm

It's being shortened or shifting, not sure which one.
[Shuz] wrote:I noticed the other day - Goodwood Station has been half demolished.

Sent from my RM-821_im_mea3_306 using Board Express

bearhunta
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#165 Post by bearhunta » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:55 pm

[Shuz] wrote:I noticed the other day - Goodwood Station has been half demolished.
From http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/RR

The following projects are planned for completion in 2013:

* construction of a new accessible station at Wayville, with improved connectivity with the surrounding area and showgrounds

No further information on the site on whether this involves the replacement of either or both Keswick and Goodwood stations with the new Wayville station