[COM] Goodwood Junction Rail Underpass | $110m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: SWP: Goodwood Junction Rail Underpass | $110m

#166 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:15 pm

I don't think so. I've already seen the plans for the section between the Keswick Station redevelopment, new permanent platforms for the (temporary) Showgrounds Station and Leader Street grade seperation. There is no mention of a new Wayville station, unless something has changed since then.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#167 Post by crawf » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:01 am

Anyone know where you can find the plans for the Keswick Station redevelopment?

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#168 Post by Hooligan » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:05 am

[Shuz] wrote:I don't think so. I've already seen the plans for the section between the Keswick Station redevelopment, new permanent platforms for the (temporary) Showgrounds Station and Leader Street grade seperation. There is no mention of a new Wayville station, unless something has changed since then.
That's the first I've heard about a Keswick Station redevelopment, care to elaborate?

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

[Shuz]

#169 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:40 am

crawf wrote:Anyone know where you can find the plans for the Keswick Station redevelopment?
They're not publicly available yet.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Nathan

#170 Post by Nathan » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:18 am

Personally, I hope they hold off on a Keswick upgrade until the sketchy plans for a future TOD become more concrete. With a much larger population close to the station, it could become a much more major stop.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#171 Post by UrbanSG » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:51 am

New Wayville station plans are available on the DAC website. This station will completely replace Keswick station, about time!

http://dac.sa.gov.au/index.cfm?objectid ... 0F2030D46A

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#172 Post by UrbanSG » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:52 am

News article as well:
Wayville station to support Keswick Army Barracks redevelopment
by: John Stokes

AN $8 million railway station is earmarked for Wayville to cater for a future housing development at the Keswick Army Barracks.
The Wayville station would be built south of the Anzac Highway and Greenhill Rd intersection and replace the rarely used Keswick station.
Plans were lodged with the Development Assessment Commission by the Transport Department this month.
The Advertiser understands the Government aims to have the work done while the Belair and Noarlunga rail lines are closed until September.
A Wayville station would support housing and mixed-use buildings of three-14 storeys at the barracks, the department report said.
The station would also replace the temporary Adelaide Showground station.
Keswick station, just north of the intersection, is outdated, inaccessible and poorly utilised, the report said.
It said the Wayville site would be better linked to the Greenhill Rd and Anzac Highway precincts, including Ashford Hospital. Plans for the residential development at Keswick were flagged in a 2010 Transport Department and West Torrens Council report. A 2009 military audit raised questions about the base's future and recommended operations be relocated to Warradale or Edinburgh.
West Torrens Mayor John Trainer said the new station would service the 1.2 million people who attended the showgrounds every year.
But Unley Mayor Lachlan Clyne said he believed residential development was unlikely at the barracks site. "We need to focus on what we already have in the pipeline," Mr Clyne said.

Nathan

#173 Post by Nathan » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:12 am

Nice, I like the twisted pedestrian bridge.

I do wish they'd be a bit more ambitious with stations here though. Instead of just being platforms, why not make them proper stations (at least for major stops)? Have spaces adjoining the station (for instance, as part of a larger pedestrian bridge) to lease to convenience stores, coffee chains and even a Adelaide Metro booth? Treat it as part of the commercial centre for the TOD. By giving people other reasons to go to the station, you open it up to a much higher potential usage. The added activity would also increase passive surveillance and thus make it much safer.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#174 Post by Wayno » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:35 am

UrbanSG wrote:New Wayville station plans are available on the DAC website. This station will completely replace Keswick station, about time!

http://dac.sa.gov.au/index.cfm?objectid ... 0F2030D46A
extract from page 14:
Another catalyst communicated in the Plan is for a new Keswick Station that “shared with the Adelaide Showground, existing employment areas within Keswick suburb and Keswick barracks and possibility of a bus interchange and better integration with the interstate rail terminal.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

metro
Legendary Member!

#175 Post by metro » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:31 pm

a very poor station design, I dont really like the tacky twisting bridge either, and they're only spending $8m for such an important station? :shock:

Just to compare, in NSW, the Picton station upgrade also cost $8m and included new lifts, overpass, stairs and better station facilities. Picton is a small town of about 3,000 with an hourly diesel rail service, ~80k's from Sydney.

http://macarthur-chronicle-wollondilly. ... avid-camp/

But least they're spending something and it is a slight improvement to Keswick and ends the need for a temporary showground station every year. Better than nothing I suppose. :roll:

[Shuz]

#176 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:48 pm

I love the twisting footbridge design.

However I'm quite suprised how setback it is from Anzac Highway/Greenhill Road. It would make sense if there was some long term plan for a building to be built over the rail-lines in between the intersection and the station?

PeFe

#177 Post by PeFe » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:01 pm

Nathan wrote
I do wish they'd be a bit more ambitious with stations here though. Instead of just being platforms, why not make them proper stations (at least for major stops)? Have spaces adjoining the station (for instance, as part of a larger pedestrian bridge) to lease to convenience stores, coffee chains and even a Adelaide Metro booth? Treat it as part of the commercial centre for the TOD. By giving people other reasons to go to the station, you open it up to a much higher potential usage. The added activity would also increase passive surveillance and thus make it much safer.
Absolutely agree, these new tod developments should become "central" to the local communty, not pushed to the periphery as in previous new railway station developments.
Also I think it is time to cull some of the stations on the Seaford line i.e. Mile End (why is this still there? patronage levels must be the lowest out of all the stations)
Emerson (wrong place,compilcating the South Road intersection and no doubt poor patronage) and Marino/Marino rocks...do we really need 2 stations? Time to speed up the trains with less stops and better facilities at the stations. The Seaford line could be the template for all the other railway lines..electrification,improved passenger amenities and quicker travel times with less stops. One line as a showpiece to encourage Adelaidians to view the train network as something worth using (and investing tax payers dollars intro) I look forward to the day when the whingers start on the Adelaide Now website "Why doesn't MY train line have electric trains and better stations"

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#178 Post by neoballmon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:31 pm

[Shuz] wrote:However I'm quite suprised how setback it is from Anzac Highway/Greenhill Road. It would make sense if there was some long term plan for a building to be built over the rail-lines in between the intersection and the station?
It's not that far really, the length of Cooke Tce is a very easy one to walk to Greenhill, and Anzac really isn't that far. And this is the best location for the showgrounds that I can see. And being open all year (unlike the current show stop), will make events in the showgrounds (e.g.Caravan and Camping Show) much easier to access and will receive more patronage.
It is interesting though, that on the Anzac side of the rail lines, the path down to the platform only comes from the Northern side, when, once the TOD is complete, most commuters would come from that side.. (Page 50 of the PDF)

As for the twisted bridge, Looks very good and contempory
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Nort

#179 Post by Nort » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:15 pm

Relatively basic upgrade of the station, but like that bridge.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#180 Post by Hooligan » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:08 pm

So this Wayville station will replace Keswick station?

So what the hell was Shuz on about seeing plans about a redeveloped Keswick station?

Code: Select all

Signature removed