[COM] Goodwood Junction Rail Underpass | $110m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Vjkdigital
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[COM] Re: PRO: Goodwood - Bowden rail grade seperation project | $

#136 Post by Vjkdigital » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:10 pm

Here tis.

http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-34.921054,1 ... d=20121002

And I'm seriously hoping they electrify ALL of the Adelaide yard, not just two tracks for the Seaford line, or we may require another complete shutdown of ARS to complete the rest of the lines. :shock:

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#137 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:35 pm

Vjkdigital wrote:Here tis.

And I'm seriously hoping they electrify ALL of the Adelaide yard, not just two tracks for the Seaford line, or we may require another complete shutdown of ARS to complete the rest of the lines. :shock:
That can't happen unless rail gauges are changed. So expect only the Seaford lines in Adelaide Railway Station to be electrified.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Pressman
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#138 Post by Pressman » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:53 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Vjkdigital wrote:Here tis.

That can't happen unless rail gauges are changed. So expect only the Seaford lines in Adelaide Railway Station to be electrified.
Sorry to disapoint you ChillyPhilly, but gauge conversion is off the agenda (and has been for a while now).
Electricification can go ahead without any gauge changes.
Looking at the work going on in the yard it would appear that footings for the overhead support structure for all platform roads are being done, but whether they actually string all tracks will have to be seen.
(Tonsley213's photos posted above show footings on the North side of the yard)

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#139 Post by crawf » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:00 am

Source - Submission to Infrastructure Australia
The project will also include: an urban hub at Keswick rail station linking it to the interstate passenger railway terminal and Adelaide Showgrounds; undergrounding the Outer Harbor rail line and establishing a new underground rail station in the centre of the proposed Bowden Urban Village (a major transit oriented development); a series of improvements to level crossings; grade separation of the level crossing at Park Terrace on Adelaide’s Inner Ring Route; and constructing a pedestrian and cyclist bridge over Goodwood rail station to complete the Mike Turtur Bikeway, a commuter cycling route between Glenelg and the Adelaide CBD
Sounds like some big things planned for the current derelict Keswick Station. Even Keswick itself will no doubt undergo a major overhaul in the future, lots of inner-city industrial land that is ripe for residential and commerical developments. The SA Government has already identified Keswick as a future TOD site as part of the 30 year plan for Greater Adelaide.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: APP: Goodwood Junction Rail Underpass | $418m

#140 Post by mattblack » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:46 pm

New Goodwood juction beginning early next year.

http://youtu.be/w2pO9g13T4c

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: APP: Goodwood Junction Rail Underpass | $418m

#141 Post by Will » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:32 pm

From the Advertiser:
Motorists forced to detour as Victoria St crossing between Goodwood and Forestville closes for nine months

John Stokes
Eastern Courier Messenger
November 26, 201210:25AM

THE Victoria St level crossing between Goodwood and Forestville will be closed for nine months from Monday, December 10.

The crossing will be shut until August next as part of the $110 million upgrade of the Goodwood Rail Junction.

The main detours for motorists will be Mills St to the south and Leader St to the north.

An underpass will be built near Victoria St so Norlunga Line trains can travel below the Belair Line and freight lines.

Pedestrian and cycle access will remain open for most of the nine-month closure.

Signs will alert people when the crossing is completely closed.

Work connecting sewer pipes above ground along Hackett Ave was completed this week while the installation of sewers on Cromer Pde will continue until February.

For more information or to register for project updates contact the Project Information Line on 1300 443 198

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: SWP: Goodwood Junction Rail Underpass | $418m

#142 Post by crawf » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:03 am

The thread title is wrong, the project is going to cost $110 million.

The rest I believe is going to the Bowden tunnel project, which should also be included in the title.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#143 Post by SRW » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:34 am

Is there any reason apart from cost that they aren't eliminating the level crossing all together? Isn't that a long term goal anyway?
Keep Adelaide Weird

[Shuz]

#144 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:51 pm

From the DPTI Infrastructure website.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#145 Post by drsmith » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:12 pm

Looking at the above, how much extra would it cost to continue it as an open trench underneath South Road ?

That would at least solve one bottleneck there.

Nathan

[COM] Re: SWP: Goodwood Junction Rail Underpass | $110m

#146 Post by Nathan » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:27 pm

How is the Leader St level crossing being removed? There's no sign of undergrounding or an overpass in that diagram.

[Shuz]

#147 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:06 am

On the matter of removing level crossings, it appears to me that the long term goal is to have no crossing at all on Victoria Street and force traffic to use Leader Street.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

85trainfan
High Rise Poster!

#148 Post by 85trainfan » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:56 am

[Shuz] wrote:On the matter of removing level crossings, it appears to me that the long term goal is to have no crossing at all on Victoria Street and force traffic to use Leader Street.
How so :?:
Victoria St will be bridged over the Seaford Line, and pass at Grade with a level crossing over the ARTC Interstate and Belair Lines.
If they plan on closing Victoria St, why bother building a bridge over the Seaford Line and save some money?
As for the Leader St level crossing, No plans have come out for it yet. It may just be on a wish list at this stage.
Regards Jarrod

Any posts made are my own opinion and do not represent any organisation with which I am associated.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#149 Post by neoballmon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:12 pm

Went walking around the Victoria Street are today (as I've read quite bit about this project, but just couldn't visualise the area), and now I completely understand the need for the project! I was talking to a local while we waited for a train to pass for quite a while, he seemed to support the project (although worried that freight trains are getting longer now; but further reading says they currently slow down to 20km/h, which wouldn't be necessary after) and he just confirmed which lines are Noarlunga and Belair for me(I could tell the ARTC line apart).
In the 15 minutes or so that I was there (around 5/5:30ish), there were more than half a dozen trains passing! Most of these City->Noarlunga. I can understand why motorists and frieght drivers would get so frustrated at times! This underpass will do wonders for the rail and vehicle networks once it's complete!

Also, does the Belair line currently have to give way to the Noarlunga line like the ARTC, or is it first who comes goes first?
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#150 Post by AG » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:24 pm

neoballmon wrote: Also, does the Belair line currently have to give way to the Noarlunga line like the ARTC, or is it first who comes goes first?
The Belair Line doesn't need to give way to the Noarlunga Line, because the tracks of those two corridors don't cross each other. ARTC trains nearly always give way to the Noarlunga Line.