[COM] Goodwood Junction Rail Underpass | $110m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: PRO: Bowden Rail Tunnel | 1km $418m

#46 Post by rhino » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:00 am

Westside wrote: Doubling the cost of one for little extra gain and not delivering on the other is not the way to do it.
I suspect we were only presented with a botch-up of the story in the first place. I put more faith in the information from the Infrastructureaustralia website.
cheers,
Rhino

Aidan

#47 Post by Aidan » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:00 am

rhino wrote:
Westside wrote: Doubling the cost of one for little extra gain and not delivering on the other is not the way to do it.
I suspect we were only presented with a botch-up of the story in the first place. I put more faith in the information from the Infrastructureaustralia website.
That may well be the case, but if so why has nobody bothered to deny it before the followup report?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

dbl96
High Rise Poster!

#48 Post by dbl96 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:52 pm

While i think this is a wonderful project that is well overdue and will definatly be needed, i cannot help bu wonder why it costing 480 million for such a tiny tunnel. People are forgetting this is a cut and cover tunnel not a deep bore. In reality all a cut and cover tunnel is is a big trench with a roof over the top. They are not incredibley expensive. for 480 million in reality you could probably underground the entire outer harbour line. It seems stupid to spend so much money on such a small project. I would not be surprised also, judging by the sceptical nature of the article (in the way how it says What You Could Do with 418mil) if the journalist had not meddled with the figures at all.

metro
Legendary Member!

#49 Post by metro » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:15 pm

i think that the $420m cost includes not just the bowden tunnel/separation of the interstate line from the Port line, but also includes the separation of the interstate line from the Noarlunga line down at Goodwood. could also include other grade separations like at Torrens Rd + new station at Ovingham, Cross Rd + new station at Unley Park, and they'd grade separate one of those Goodwood level crossings and just close the other one.

The State government could apply some pressure to the Federal government by suggesting that it would eventually become impossible for the Interstate trains to cross the suburban tracks during weekdays because the suburban trains will be much longer and running at much greater frequencies.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#50 Post by fishinajar » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:47 pm

(From the nat. infrastructure pdf)

Adelaide rail freight junctions and level crossings (Goodwood and Torrens)
Estimated cost ($2008) $420 M

Adelaide rail freight junctions and level crossings (Goodwood and Torrens)
The East–West Rail Corridor linking Melbourne–Adelaide–Perth has a primary role of efficiently moving freight. It is currently operationally inefficient and limited in capacity through Adelaide, since longer trains cannot pass due to constrained track geometry. Delays occur at points of intersection with the passenger rail and road network.
The initiative provides for new junctions at Goodwood and Torrens via grade separation of the passenger and freight rail lines, relocation of Goodwood passenger station, building of a new passenger station at Bowden, and replacement of a level crossing with a dual carriage way road underpass.

DM8
High Rise Poster!

#51 Post by DM8 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:20 am

Now THAT sounds better. It was obvious $400M+ for Bowden alone was just ludicrous.

Congrats to AdelaideNOW for another monumental fuckup in professional journalism. :applause:
"You pay for good roads, whether you have them or not! And it's not the wealth of a nation that builds the roads, but the roads that build the wealth of a nation." ...John F. Kennedy

Waewick

#52 Post by Waewick » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:22 pm

ahh the advertiser

got to love'em

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#53 Post by spiller » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:20 pm

change of thread title?

'kn 'tiser :oops:

Aidan

#54 Post by Aidan » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:07 pm

If someone has evidence that either the 'tiser or Adelaide Now have reported this, please post it.

All we've got so far are two reports (a week apart) from the Messenger.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#55 Post by dsriggs » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:01 pm

It's all News Corp to me.

DM8
High Rise Poster!

#56 Post by DM8 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:34 pm

Aidan wrote:All we've got so far are two reports (a week apart) from the Messenger.
... and AdelaideNow quoting them:
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6063223712

OK, fair point, it was the Messenger that reported it originally. But it's obvious NEITHER of them checked the facts and figures.
"You pay for good roads, whether you have them or not! And it's not the wealth of a nation that builds the roads, but the roads that build the wealth of a nation." ...John F. Kennedy

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#57 Post by fabricator » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:52 am

Aidan wrote:If someone has evidence that either the 'tiser or Adelaide Now have reported this, please post it.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/fre ... 6087583413
Infrastructure Australia has placed priority on a $418 million project to ease freight transport by rail through Adelaide.

The task to upgrade the Torrens and Goodwood rail junctions was included in the annual National Infrastructure Priority List.
Typical :toilet: quality newspaper.
edit: Just noticed its in the sport section :roll:
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#58 Post by AtD » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:43 am

Yeah, News Ltd definitely screwed it up.

http://www.infrastructureaustralia.gov. ... ments.aspx
http://www.infrastructureaustralia.gov. ... al2011.pdf
http://www.infrastructureaustralia.gov. ... ef2011.pdf
Consists of constructing grade separations at two at-grade freight/passenger rail intersections, the removal of 4 level road-rail crossings and modifications to one other level crossing (one on Adelaide’s Inner Ring Road and 4 on local roads), and associated works in and near the Adelaide inner suburbs of Bowden and Goodwood

$418M
I'm not sure what the 4 level crossings are. As a guess, I'd say Park Tce, Torrens Rd, Victoria St and Leader St. Not sure about number 5 either - Hawker Street?

Pressman
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#59 Post by Pressman » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:56 am

AtD wrote:
Consists of constructing grade separations at two at-grade freight/passenger rail intersections, the removal of 4 level road-rail crossings and modifications to one other level crossing (one on Adelaide’s Inner Ring Road and 4 on local roads), and associated works in and near the Adelaide inner suburbs of Bowden and Goodwood

$418M
I'm not sure what the 4 level crossings are. As a guess, I'd say Park Tce, Torrens Rd, Victoria St and Leader St. Not sure about number 5 either - Hawker Street?
I'd say they would be Victoria and Leader streets at Goodwood, and Park Tce, Gibson St and East St at Bowden

misscherida
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[COM] Re: PRO: Goodwood - Bowden rail grade seperation project | $

#60 Post by misscherida » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:46 pm

I support any plans and associated expenditure on vital transport infrastructure for our state.
Lots of people complain about SA transport systems.
It will not improve until the infrastructure is in place.
This costs mega bucks but it will improve our lives immeasurably.
Please don't be short sighted - lets do it and do it right!!!