[COM] Oaklands Crossing | $174m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: Oaklands Park Interchange

#61 Post by Norman » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:11 pm

Actually, the Swimming Centre is going there now, so only a tunnel could connect Marion Schopping Centre now.

Dave_The_Planner
Gold-Member ;)

#62 Post by Dave_The_Planner » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:38 pm

normangerman wrote:Actually, the Swimming Centre is going there now, so only a tunnel could connect Marion Schopping Centre now.
And that is exactly my point. Transport in this State is almost always designed in isolation to everything around it. When the Oaklands interchange was in the planning phase, consideration could have been given to integrating it with Marion and the swimming centre. If that meant building a swimming centre two-storeys above-ground over a railway line, so be it. No tunnels need to be built, just a bit of imagination and long-term thinking.
To me, it is Keswick all over again. Lets dump everyone at a train station not all that far from a major centre, but far enough that it is impractical to walk. Then, as an after-thought, bus them to where the interchange should have been built, clogging up the entire left-hand lane of a major road as it stops every couple hundred metres.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#63 Post by jimmy_2486 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:40 am

Hmmm i think dave is right there.

I cant see why we cant go under the shopping centre or something.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#64 Post by crawf » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:39 am

one word - cash

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#65 Post by Norman » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:10 am

And Electrification :lol:

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#66 Post by Paulns » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:14 am

Totally agree with Dave.
But it would be good, practical and make sense if they did put a train stop at Marion shopping centre. I mean by the time the redevelopments complete, the centre will be the second largest in Australia??????? :)
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#67 Post by Bulldozer » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:13 pm

Didn't we talk about placing the new interchange there earlier in this thread? I think myself or Jimmy suggested re-aligning the track so that the station could be built within the triangle of land where Westfield, Bunnings, the library and swimming centre are/will be. Makes sense since that precinct is the focus of the area.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#68 Post by AtD » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:37 pm

We'd be talking a significant detour here, the track approaches Marion from the north then turns away and heads east. Given the state of the network, it'd hardly be feasible nor anywhere near top priority.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#69 Post by Bulldozer » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:37 pm

AtD wrote:We'd be talking a significant detour here, the track approaches Marion from the north then turns away and heads east. Given the state of the network, it'd hardly be feasible nor anywhere near top priority.
There is no doubt it would be a significant bit of work, but it gets back to the whole argument that planning in Adelaide is piecemeal rather than "big picture". It seems stupid to spend millions upgrading the station when it's away from the main point of focus for the area, especially when there's a bus interchange already at Westfield Mario!

Of course there are more pressing concerns in the rail network, but if a long term integrated approach to planning was taken then steps could be taken today to ensure that it could become a reality in five years or so. E.g. reserving land in the triangle area so that future developments can take it into account and starting to acquire properties along the new route. We've got to stop taking the cheap way out because it's selling the future short. It might cost more to do it right the first time, but over 50-100 years it will more than pay for it.

broox
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#70 Post by broox » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:58 pm

Hi all, first post here, i like this place :)

a bit OT but ive had this idea in my mind for a long time and thought this forum (sensational adelaide)is the most relevant place *puffs chest out - full of adelaide pride*
i am glad i clicked on a link provided my howie on OCAU !

i catch pub trans every day, never bothered to get a liscence, lazy me but i like my lil plan :) i know it is simple but a tram in summer from jetty road to marion could b cool i think ... joins up tonsley and flinders too

thoughts?

EDIT: it probly should have gone in this thread after more perusing http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... =17&t=1021
EDIT#2: reposted in the topical discussion forum
Last edited by broox on Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#71 Post by Howie » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:10 pm

broox wrote: i am glad i clicked on a link provided my howie on OCAU !
Happy you found this website mate.. warm welcomes and glad to have you here.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#72 Post by Norman » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:34 pm

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#73 Post by Düsseldorfer » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:13 am

those platforms appear to be a bit short to handle a long train, i've seen that Mawson Lakes can definitly accomidate a 6 car train and possibly 7 or 8. In that photo it looks like the new Oaklands could barely manage a 3 car train, or will they make it longer once the old Oaklands has been demolished.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#74 Post by AtD » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:05 am

Düsseldorfer wrote:those platforms appear to be a bit short to handle a long train, i've seen that Mawson Lakes can definitly accomidate a 6 car train and possibly 7 or 8. In that photo it looks like the new Oaklands could barely manage a 3 car train, or will they make it longer once the old Oaklands has been demolished.
Mawson Lakes can only handle up to four cars. Not even Adelaide Station's longest platforms can handle 8.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#75 Post by Will409 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:34 am

Mawson Lakes if you carefully pull the train up can hold 5 cars but that is if you are very precise when stopping.

As for the maximum length of trains that can use Adelaide. If you have a look on the concrete at the edge of the platform, there are some yellow lines at a 90 degree angle to the platform edge and also some numbers, these represent the number of railcars that can use the platform at the one time. Platforms 1 and 2 are the longest and can take 9 while the shortest (platform 9) can take 6.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.