[COM] Oaklands Crossing | $174m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#31 Post by jimmy_2486 » Tue May 22, 2007 12:13 am

Yeah I was thinking that aswell.

They should have an underground station like right under the bus interchange maybe!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#32 Post by Norman » Tue May 22, 2007 12:38 am

I prefer the upcoming Swimming Centre.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#33 Post by jimmy_2486 » Tue May 22, 2007 1:32 am

Maybe have a mini tram network branching out from the interchange going to the swim center, shopping center and Brighton and rest of the Marion city!

How cool would that be!

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#34 Post by jimmy_2486 » Tue May 22, 2007 2:09 am

Actually better yet a little thought on which to ponder on.

If we are going to have a new interchange at oaklands, we should make it a major interchange that will replace flinders, and Brighton as it is bigger then both of them.

And we should have instead of those other interchanges a beeline style bus service that will take you around to the important parts of the city of Marion.

I'm talking like from oaklands it will be like a service taking you to Marion shopping center, the swim center, Brighton, the home maker center, flinders center, and maybe some other places then coming back to oaklands, and occurring every 5 min say. This should work in both directions like the beeline in the city.

I mean I know heaps of people who have to goto marion first anyway to get redirected else where, usually somewhere close by like flinders etc, so this will make things a lot easier. It will make it easier for people who probably goto flinders uni but live in the northern suburbs. Maybe make it a connector service to the train.

So instead of having buses goto Marion, Brighton or flinders, they should all be redirected to oaklands, and people can catch the "Marion Loop" to where ever they need to go. This will add simplicity to the network as it works in the city and will bring these mentioned places more closer together as access to them is easier. I mean as someone else mentioned before, you cant expect the elderly or disabled to walk to Marion shopping center from that oaklands interchange, thats ridiculous!!

This may even help future growth in the area as the Marion cbd will have better public transport access like another city where oaklands will be our "Central station".

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#35 Post by Bulldozer » Tue May 22, 2007 3:55 pm

I like your thinking jimmy, in fact I like that idea better than extending the Tonsley line over into Flinders and making that a major interchange/hub. You've really hit on a winner there!

Westfield, whether we like it or not, is the focal point of the district. It's busy with people day and night and I don't think it's crazy to say that in the next 10-20 years there's going to be apartment and office buildings going in around there. Moving the train station to the middle of the action and integrating it with a bus interchange like Noarlunga station is definitely the way to go.

You'd probably want to run a few different bus loops though to reduce travel times - north, south, east and west routes would do the trick. I like the idea of using buses to feed people to and from rail - shorter routes means more frequent services with the same size fleet.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#36 Post by jimmy_2486 » Tue May 22, 2007 4:07 pm

Thats right I mean thats what parramatta does and chatswood n that do.

Maybe we could use the tonsley line for something else, maybe run it to abefoyle park and flaggy way??

lovinadelaide
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[COM] Oaklands Interchange

#37 Post by lovinadelaide » Tue May 22, 2007 10:40 pm

I think thats an excellent idea too Jimmy,

I dont live within the area, but I feel that it is a great oppututnity for those who do live within the area, to have more accessible transport that is easier, faster and more logical.

Great one Jimmy.......keep coming up with those ideas hahaha

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#38 Post by Norman » Wed May 23, 2007 12:59 am

There was a Marion Loop, the MA1 and MA2 buses.

I already have an plan for the Southern suburbs, a new Southern O-Bahn that provides faster access to major locations such as Marion, Flinders Uni, Flinders Medical Centre, Aberfoyle Park, Hallet Cove and the southern suburbs.

Check it out here:

http://www.galoresoftware.net/MapR7.jpg

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#39 Post by bmw boy » Wed May 23, 2007 12:22 pm

normangerman wrote:There was a Marion Loop, the MA1 and MA2 buses.

I already have an plan for the Southern suburbs, a new Southern O-Bahn that provides faster access to major locations such as Marion, Flinders Uni, Flinders Medical Centre, Aberfoyle Park, Hallet Cove and the southern suburbs.

Check it out here:

http://www.galoresoftware.net/MapR7.jpg

yeh, but those 2 buses were scrapped and replaced with the 215 and 213, which service the same areas with some slight differences.... and without the loop.... instead just going straight from marion > city and vice versa

however these two services did not service any of the areas, jimmy_2486 is reffering to...... the only place mentioned in his idea, is the flinders medical centre.,.. and then ending up at marion shopping centre

Jimmy's idea is a loop bus which would include acess for the new transport interchange to give better acess between it and the shopping centre itself. His plan also included for it to service the general marion area and its places of interest which would include the new swimming centre

The origional MA1 / MA2 loops serviced, goodwood, daws, Ayliffs rds etc... and were for acess to the marion shopping centre itself.

good idea jimmy

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#40 Post by jimmy_2486 » Wed May 23, 2007 6:37 pm

normangerman wrote: I already have an plan for the Southern suburbs, a new Southern O-Bahn that provides faster access to major locations such as Marion, Flinders Uni, Flinders Medical Centre, Aberfoyle Park, Hallet Cove and the southern suburbs.
Sounds like a good plan however the bus network in the inner south is not bad, as it is.

A good option would be to as I mentioned earlier to extend the tonsly line into flinders and go into flaggy, happy valley, and maybe woodcroft way.

The MA1/2 were only used to bring people to marion shopping center. Now we are going to have a massive interchange that all nearby services will be relocated to. So id say have a beeline style bus service that will take you to the nearby areas from the interchage around marion, flinders, swim centre, shopping centre, even brighton maybe etc etc.

They have this style service in mawon lakes, and the city (from adelaide station going everywhere in the city), so i am sure it will work in marion.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: Oaklands Park Interchange

#41 Post by muzzamo » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:49 pm

Photo from today:
21082007393-001.jpg
21082007393-001.jpg (140.69 KiB) Viewed 4894 times

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#42 Post by Norman » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:50 pm

From the Marion Council Newsletter:
  • Interchange due for completion in 2008
  • 2 weekend shutdowns: Mid-late 2007 and early 2008
  • Construction will commence soon of bus bays on Morphett Road
  • 50 bird nesting boxes and trees will be installed near completion

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#43 Post by jk1237 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:29 pm

Bloody hell, they're actually working on it :o

Will409
Legendary Member!

#44 Post by Will409 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:33 pm

Made a run south to Oaklands with a new camera in hand and got some shots down there. First, the abomination of a station that currently stands.

The current track layout at the southern end of Oaklands station. Because of the poor state of the track, there was a derailment on the Adelaide (UP) side 2 weeks ago.

Jumbo set to Noarlunga passing the party constructed DOWN platform.

View of the worksite.

New DOWN platform from the Diagonal Road crossing.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#45 Post by SRW » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:58 pm

I'm surprised no-one's posted the render for this. From the redevelopment website:

The centre bar along the top of the shelter will be coloured (in orange, in some depictions) like that at the Mawson Interchange:

Good to see there'll be some common design elements, possibly a template for future redevelopments.
Keep Adelaide Weird