[COM] Oaklands Crossing | $174m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: Oaklands Park Interchange

#286 Post by Norman » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:57 pm

They have 4-car sets running in peak on some routes.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#287 Post by Shuz » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:21 pm

skyliner wrote:The lighting is particularly impressive in those pics - puts Adelaide central to shame.

Question - do ANY suburban trains go over 3 units in length? Is the length governed by frequency cutting out the need or is it controlled by platform length.

Even when I was in Adelaide they occasionally ran 5 coaches together.Would you believe they ONCE they ran 7 coach trains to Largs - have piccies to prove it. As yet i have yet to learn how to put them on this site with the current computer - almost totally full.

ADELAIDE - CITY ON THE MOVE
http://www.imageshack.us - should help you with uploading pictures. I'd be really eager to see the 7-car set.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#288 Post by Will409 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:49 pm

skyliner, train length is governed by both platform length, frequency and demand. Years ago, there were some 6 car trains run on the Noarlunga line but that was when service frequencies weren't as good as they are now.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

James Renfrey
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#289 Post by James Renfrey » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:48 pm

The maximum temperature today was about 14 degrees. Imagine sitting on Oaklands station on a metal bench (or Goodwood) with a howling wind in any direction. The old ramshackle station provided good shelter. When are the clever 'designers' of public buildings going to behave as though they might actually use them? With inadequate toilets at the Central Bus Station (otherwise a LOT better than the one at Spencer Street Station) costing a packet to rectify and the lack of wind breaks on the newest stations, isn't it about time that the 'experts' responsible lost their cushy overpaid jobs? PROVIDE WELL DESIGNED PASSENGER CORRALS IMMEDIATELY. I live near the station, and am generally well pleased with its design. I just don't want to freeze to death while sitting on it.

MR. CONLON: I think that you are doing a great job in catching up on the backlog of many years of bi-partisan neglect of the transport system. Kindly put a bomb under some people in your department and the City Council and we'll love you for it.

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#290 Post by Somebody » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:51 pm

Has there been a noticeable increase in patronage at the new Oaklands Park compared to the old Oaklands?

I bet nobody else from here has had the "privilege" of waiting for a train at the old Oaklands at 9pm on a cold winters night! :P :twisted:
The Gold Coast - Australia's centre for insipid, tacky & boring.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#291 Post by Will409 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:54 pm

Somebody wrote:Has there been a noticeable increase in patronage at the new Oaklands Park compared to the old Oaklands?

I bet nobody else from here has had the "privilege" of waiting for a train at the old Oaklands at 9pm on a cold winters night! :P :twisted:
I have but that was only when all the lighting had been cut, ticket office stripped out and toilets disconnected on the night that the subway was to close. I became the last person to use it.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#292 Post by Norman » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:55 pm

Somebody wrote:Has there been a noticeable increase in patronage at the new Oaklands Park compared to the old Oaklands?

On weekends I've seen more people at the station. I haven't been there too often recently though.

And I bet you haven't had the priviledge of being on the last Noarlunga train on a Saturday night... it's not particularly pleasant.

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#293 Post by Somebody » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:22 pm

Will409 wrote:I have but that was only when all the lighting had been cut, ticket office stripped out and toilets disconnected on the night that the subway was to close. I became the last person to use it.
Well you've topped me there!

Did you need to bring a torch or at least a light from a phone or similiar to see anything? Typical of TA to not have any lighting in that "interim" period.
Harvey Norman wrote:And I bet you haven't had the priviledge of being on the last Noarlunga train on a Saturday night... it's not particularly pleasant.
I better try it when I'm next in Adelaide! Why is it worse than the other lines?
The Gold Coast - Australia's centre for insipid, tacky & boring.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#294 Post by Norman » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:38 pm

Somebody wrote:
Norman wrote:And I bet you haven't had the priviledge of being on the last Noarlunga train on a Saturday night... it's not particularly pleasant.
I better try it when I'm next in Adelaide! Why is it worse than the other lines?
Nah, it's not the worst, but when I was on it, someone puked at Adelaide Station before the train left, and the starting and stopping made the juices flow throughout the entire carriage.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#295 Post by Will409 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:55 am

Somebody wrote:
Will409 wrote:I have but that was only when all the lighting had been cut, ticket office stripped out and toilets disconnected on the night that the subway was to close. I became the last person to use it.
Well you've topped me there!

Did you need to bring a torch or at least a light from a phone or similiar to see anything? Typical of TA to not have any lighting in that "interim" period.
I could only use my mobile for any sort of lighting, especially when I had a look in what was left in the ticket office.

James Renfrey
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#296 Post by James Renfrey » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:56 am

What about addressing the issue? Who the hell cares about 'last users'? I've several times been just that as well as a 'first user', but that is a private satisfaction and of no interest whatsoever to anyone else. Too many posts to this and other similar discussion groups are completely irrelevant, and they seriously compromise any good effect that they have in influencing politicians and others to take action to improve our city and lifestyle.

If we are seen as a mob of puff-puff nuts and bears of very little brain the value of Sensational Adelaide as a forum of intelligent discussion will be nil.

I have used the old Oakland station numberless times at all times of the day and night for more than twenty years. I hated it. It was old and rundown. It was inconveniently sited. Nevertheless there was substantial protection against wind and rain for waiting passengers and, once upon a time, permanently open toilet facilities.

The new station is attractive and much more convenient to use for the great majority of patrons. IT HAS NO WIND PROTECTION AT ALL.

THAT is the issue. Please comment upon it, or find somewhere else to talk about your grandma's bunions.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#297 Post by Shuz » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:22 pm

Oh for christ's sake. You can't change the weather. You can manipulate everything else to heart's content, but you will never ever change the weather, and frankly I think some of you just can't appreciate enough for what has been provided to you, and yet you still find time to whinge on irrelavent issues! Like who gives, if its a windy night, put up and shut up.

James Renfrey
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#298 Post by James Renfrey » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:13 pm

Shuz wrote:Oh for christ's sake. You can't change the weather. You can manipulate everything else to heart's content, but you will never ever change the weather, and frankly I think some of you just can't appreciate enough for what has been provided to you, and yet you still find time to whinge on irrelavent issues! Like who gives, if its a windy night, put up and shut up.
It would be nice if you could spell the word, but to keep to the topic (i.e. be RELEVANT) I will merely say that while I can't stop the cold winds that I have experienced when using the new station, I can point out the lack of protection from them and ask for this to be remedied.

Of course, if you think that shielding waiting passengers from inclement weather is not important, I would invite you to try standing on the Oaklands or Goodwood stations on a cold and windy night and then tell us whether you are still of that mind. I use both of them and have spent many a freezing half hour or more late at night on the latter.

There is an old saying about 'spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar'. I have already said that I like the new Oaklands station, but it would not cost very much to make it even better.

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#299 Post by Düsseldorfer » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:24 pm

Shuz wrote:Oh for christ's sake. You can't change the weather. You can manipulate everything else to heart's content, but you will never ever change the weather, and frankly I think some of you just can't appreciate enough for what has been provided to you, and yet you still find time to whinge on irrelavent issues! Like who gives, if its a windy night, put up and shut up.
Ok, people complaining about not enough shelter even when trains come, at most times, every 15-20 mins, and our winters are fairly mild...although, as a main station it should have a waiting room, a big station building or something

But try waiting on a regional station in Germany where trains only come every 30-60mins, that has almost no shelter on the platforms, in the middle of their winter which can get down to about -5 degrees during the day plus rain, and the station i'm referring to is also fairly new.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#300 Post by Norman » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:35 pm

James Renfrey wrote:
It would be nice if you could spell the word, but to keep to the topic (i.e. be RELEVANT) I will merely say that while I can't stop the cold winds that I have experienced when using the new station, I can point out the lack of protection from them and ask for this to be remedied.

Of course, if you think that shielding waiting passengers from inclement weather is not important, I would invite you to try standing on the Oaklands or Goodwood stations on a cold and windy night and then tell us whether you are still of that mind. I use both of them and have spent many a freezing half hour or more late at night on the latter.

There is an old saying about 'spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar'. I have already said that I like the new Oaklands station, but it would not cost very much to make it even better.
I personally wouldn't leave the house more than 15 minutes before the train is due to arrive at my station, and it takes me 10 minutes to walk there. I'm not sure why you are waiting at the station for 30 minutes :?