[COM] Oaklands Crossing | $174m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
muzzamo
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: #COM: Oaklands Park Interchange

#331 Post by muzzamo » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:21 pm

I'm thinking that the fixed vertical info booth that norman photoed above is going to be some sort of digital lcd display. Its got a tough grille over it, but the reason why i think this is because they seem to have waited for the security cameras to go up before actually setting it up.

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#332 Post by Düsseldorfer » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:22 pm

muzzamo wrote:I'm thinking that the fixed vertical info booth that norman photoed above is going to be some sort of digital lcd display. Its got a tough grille over it, but the reason why i think this is because they seem to have waited for the security cameras to go up before actually setting it up.
wow that box is pretty low for an LCD display...and i'm just wondering why they would have another 4-8 LCD screens installed when they already have 8 RRT displays :roll:

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#333 Post by muzzamo » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:03 pm

Düsseldorfer wrote:wow that box is pretty low for an LCD display...and i'm just wondering why they would have another 4-8 LCD screens installed when they already have 8 RRT displays :roll:
Good question. Its just a hunch, otherwise why wouldn't they have already set it up? Maybe it could be used for transadelaide info messages like the ones in Adelaide Railway station? Its certainly a heavy duty box, and the size of the grille would mean that you couldn't use it for normal timetables.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#334 Post by monotonehell » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:35 pm

muzzamo wrote:
Düsseldorfer wrote:wow that box is pretty low for an LCD display...and i'm just wondering why they would have another 4-8 LCD screens installed when they already have 8 RRT displays :roll:
Good question. Its just a hunch, otherwise why wouldn't they have already set it up? Maybe it could be used for transadelaide info messages like the ones in Adelaide Railway station? Its certainly a heavy duty box, and the size of the grille would mean that you couldn't use it for normal timetables.
Perhaps (and this is just throwing it out there to see if the cat will lick it up) the grille is for mounting things upon and not behind?

Geeze, the whole place looks like some giant beached whale carcass ... OF THE FUTURE!

>> Rail Real Time "On Track" << TM (C) AdelaideMetro
WHY do they have to brand EVERYTHING? It's just a friigin' information board FFS. It doesn't need a brand identity. :roll:

Anyway the station is one thousand times better than the worn out 1950s things we mostly have.
>> A move in the right direction! << TM (C) Mono. ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#335 Post by fabricator » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:28 pm

monotonehell wrote: Anyway the station is one thousand times better than the worn out 1950s things we mostly have.
>> A move in the right direction! << TM (C) Mono. ;)
I mostly agree, but having stood on that platform on a 21 degree day, at 2pm and being blasted with cold breezes, I have to say this station just doesn't do a good job at sheltering humans. I hate to think what its like at night time, or when its raining.

I do hope Port Adelaide gets rebuilt real soon, the 1950s version of that was impressive. The current shell of a station is an eyesore and looks to be made from scrap yard timber and parts.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#336 Post by Düsseldorfer » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:36 am

fabricator wrote:I mostly agree, but having stood on that platform on a 21 degree day, at 2pm and being blasted with cold breezes, I have to say this station just doesn't do a good job at sheltering humans. I hate to think what its like at night time, or when its raining.

I do hope Port Adelaide gets rebuilt real soon, the 1950s version of that was impressive. The current shell of a station is an eyesore and looks to be made from scrap yard timber and parts.
I think with Oaklands some transperant wind shelters could be easilly built on the platforms, maybe even a waiting room on one or both of the platforms...

and with Port Adelaide station, that elevated station in it's current condition is such an eye-sore. IMO it should become an underground/sunken station and at ground level it could be a sort of public space/bus interchange with a tram stop (if/when the tram is built).

jase111
Gold-Member ;)

[COM] Oaklands Crossing

#337 Post by jase111 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:39 pm

Just thought I would start a new thread for this project

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: Oaklands rail crossing

#338 Post by AG » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:05 pm

$2m study into Morphett Rd rail under/overpass

Guardian Messenger
Local News

1 Jul 11 @ 10:59am by Kane McKay

THE State Government will this month begin a study into the feasibility of building a rail overpass or underpass at Morphett Rd.

The $2 million study will also look at ways of easing traffic congestion around the Oaklands Park Railway Station, with the findings expected to be available by June 2013.

A spokeswoman for the Transport Department said the study would attempt to determine the impact of recent developments in the area.

“The study will take into account the implications of a number of recent developments, including increased traffic generated by the State Aquatic Centre and redevelopment of the Marion Domain,” the spokeswoman said.

“Other factors include the introduction of a 30-year plan for greater Adelaide, and a planned increase in rail services following the extension of this line to Seaford”.

notmichaeljfox
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: #PRO: Oaklands Rail Underpass

#339 Post by notmichaeljfox » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:45 pm

A bit late isn't it? Wouldn't this have been better when they rebuilt the station?

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#340 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:33 am

notmichaeljfox wrote:A bit late isn't it? Wouldn't this have been better when they rebuilt the station?
They built the Oaklands rail station with the provision in mind that it wouldn't be affected by any future construction works caused by the construction of an under/overpass adjacent.

Don't worry.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#341 Post by Wayno » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:45 am

This would be a good candidate for Fed Govt funding (Infrastructure Australia). Should not be difficult to justify.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#342 Post by ozisnowman » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:26 pm

They arent going to underground the station so what matter does it have if they build an road overpass or underpass next to it. The rail line will still be at ground level.

rhino

#343 Post by rhino » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:32 pm

I believe they will be elevating the railway and raising the station. Something I heard on the radio yesterday morning.
cheers,
Rhino

[Shuz]

#344 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:30 pm

rhino wrote:I believe they will be elevating the railway and raising the station. Something I heard on the radio yesterday morning.
Bullshit.

There is no way that they would have built the Oaklands station, less than 5 years old, to rebuild it again.

Not to mention, they have just resleepered the Noarlunga Line through the station. Again, why all the time and effort, only to rip it up again?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

metro
Legendary Member!

#345 Post by metro » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:17 pm

doubt they'd demolish the station, most likely it will be a road bridge over the tracks, is the cheapest option and could be built very fast with minimal disruption. Also gives the station an overpass, all they need to add is stairs and lifts.