[COM] Oaklands Crossing | $174m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: Oaklands Park Interchange

#256 Post by Norman » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:43 pm

I think we can call this cone Complete now. Cheers for the pics, I was going to attend but studied for my final exam (which was today).

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#257 Post by muzzamo » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:25 pm

in my opinion it wont be complete until the security cameras are in, as that is one its biggest features! Likewise with the passenger information displays.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#258 Post by Shuz » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:41 pm

Now that this is done, as with Mawson Lakes, does anyone have any speculation which station would be the next to be transformed into an 'interchange'.

I would suspect Port Adelaide (OH) Mitcham (B) Elizabeth (G) Salisbury (G) Gawler (G) Noarlunga (N) seeing as they are all close to major bus routes and a service hub.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#259 Post by Cruise » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:55 pm

I would count Gawler and Port Adelaide out of those contenders straight away.

i'd be putting my money on either Noarlunga, Elizabeth, Smithfield or Glanville.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#260 Post by Wayno » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:06 pm

Shuz wrote:Now that this is done, as with Mawson Lakes, does anyone have any speculation which station would be the next to be transformed into an 'interchange'.

I would suspect Port Adelaide (OH) Mitcham (B) Elizabeth (G) Salisbury (G) Gawler (G) Noarlunga (N) seeing as they are all close to major bus routes and a service hub.
I live near the Mitcham station. Any plans to transform it will clash with the local heritage boffins. In fact, the original mitcham station building may already be heritage listed (and if not listed then you can bet it would be raised as a candidate for protection the instant any renovation plans became public)! Also, I can imagine the "architectural style" of a mitcham station makeover would most likely be required to be "sympathetic to the character of the area".
mitcham-station.jpg
mitcham-station.jpg (116.93 KiB) Viewed 3418 times
mitcham-station-2.jpg
mitcham-station-2.jpg (202.34 KiB) Viewed 3407 times
mitcham-station-3.jpg
mitcham-station-3.jpg (189.22 KiB) Viewed 3402 times
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#261 Post by Will409 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:17 pm

Mitcham station as well as Blackwood, Belair, Mt Lofty, Aldgate, Nairne and Balhannah (to name a few on the South line) are all heritage listed although not all of them are in good condition.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#262 Post by Shuz » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:27 pm

Hmm, I did think about that, the heritage aspect of Mitcham Station. However, being a quad-platform station, surely theres room for improvement to upgrade it extensively on the other 3 platforms - to be concreted and fitted out with those 'braille' tiles and have the curved sheltering. As for the one which the old station building sits on, as long as the building wasn't touched, I think that a new sheltered structure due south of the building (where the yellowish tree stands) wouldn't impact too much - if anything, a small Oaklands-style curved shelter would intergrate well with the surround greenery, and provide a colourful contrast between the old and new.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#263 Post by muzzamo » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:53 pm

They wont touch Noarlunga as it is its probably the best on the network, more like the standard you would see in Sydney etc. It doesn't really need anything done to it and is certainly already an interchange.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#264 Post by Will409 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:43 pm

I'd probably give it a good facelift with more glass (where practical) to allow more natural light. You do have to admit, it does look somewhat dated.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

shiftaling
High Rise Poster!

#265 Post by shiftaling » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:05 am

BillD wrote:
It's a really small gripe (it seems I only speak up when I need a whinge - sorry!), but it annoys me that the hand rails have to be made perfectly parallel to the ramp - they have done exactly the same thing at the Bakewell underpass, and it makes them look all squiggly. I know it's a really small thing, and they probably have to be the exact right height for safety reasons or something, but it just looks silly to me - I prefer smooth clean lines.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#266 Post by Omicron » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:32 am

A Government-funded infrastructure topic is no place for your ignorance of public safety (especially because testosterone-laden 16 year-olds cannot leap fences that are parallel to the ramp, but will simply whoosh over those which deviate ONE MERE DEGREE) and wanton wastage of public funds on frivolous pretty things, you spend-happy murderous heathen!

Aidan

#267 Post by Aidan » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:01 am

Shuz wrote:Now that this is done, as with Mawson Lakes, does anyone have any speculation which station would be the next to be transformed into an 'interchange'.

Not only is Noarlunga already an interchange, it's already been upgraded several years ago. Similarly, Salisbury and Elizabeth are already major interchanges, so I don't know why you included them on your list.

Since when has Gawler station been close to major bus routes?

I suggest you look again at why they rebuilt Oaklands. Unlike Mitcham, Oaklands was near a major traffic generator. The existing station was not well served by buses. Plenty of bus routes in the area, but they were about 200m from the station and the location of stops was not obvious. Contrast this with Port Adelaide, where the buses stop right under the railway, but it's usually quicker to walk into the center of Port Adelaide than wait for a bus.

No, there's really only one other station that could benefit from being completely rebuilt: Tonsley!

But the best way of rebuilding Tonsley would be to replace it with a Bedford Park station near South Road opposite Flinders Drive. And as extending the railway over Sturt Road would be expensive (under, more so) I think we can ignore it for the time being.

Meanwhile, stop assuming that tactile surfaces and elaborate shelters have anything at all to do with whether a station is an interchange. Oaklands and Mawson have them purely because they're new. And the best station to transform into an interchange is Goodwood. It requires tram platforms, stairs and lifts.

Wilfy 2007
High Rise Poster!

#268 Post by Wilfy 2007 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:03 am

Aidan wrote:

Not only is Noarlunga already an interchange, it's already been upgraded several years ago. Similarly, Salisbury and Elizabeth are already major interchanges, so I don't know why you included them on your list.

Since when has Gawler station been close to major bus routes?

I suggest you look again at why they rebuilt Oaklands. Unlike Mitcham, Oaklands was near a major traffic generator. The existing station was not well served by buses. Plenty of bus routes in the area, but they were about 200m from the station and the location of stops was not obvious. Contrast this with Port Adelaide, where the buses stop right under the railway, but it's usually quicker to walk into the center of Port Adelaide than wait for a bus.

No, there's really only one other station that could benefit from being completely rebuilt: Tonsley!

But the best way of rebuilding Tonsley would be to replace it with a Bedford Park station near South Road opposite Flinders Drive. And as extending the railway over Sturt Road would be expensive (under, more so) I think we can ignore it for the time being.

Meanwhile, stop assuming that tactile surfaces and elaborate shelters have anything at all to do with whether a station is an interchange. Oaklands and Mawson have them purely because they're new. And the best station to transform into an interchange is Goodwood. It requires tram platforms, stairs and lifts.
Aidan,
What about Woodville, surely that needs to be rebuilt so it has better park and ride facilities and to make allowances for the Grange branch and for buses going via Woodville road, or is it too close to lots of other services and too close to Adelaide.

Aidan

#269 Post by Aidan » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:46 am

Wilfy 2007 wrote:What about Woodville, surely that needs to be rebuilt so it has better park and ride facilities and to make allowances for the Grange branch and for buses going via Woodville road, or is it too close to lots of other services and too close to Adelaide.
I can't see what good rebuilding it would do. It may need better park and ride facilities, but that's no reason to rebuild the entire station. The only buses going via Woodville Road are the Circle Line ones, and there aren't many of those. And it's too close to Adelaide to divert the Port Road buses, though this idea has been considered.

But when the line's converted to light rail, or hybrid heavy/light rail, all the stations on it will need to be rebuilt anyway.
Last edited by Aidan on Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#270 Post by muzzamo » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:03 pm

The have updated the timetables to include the new stopping pattern at oaklands.

The timetable update is a super hack job though, its in a "hybrid" old and new style.. Typical crap job done by transadelaide:

http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/routes/ ... ttable.pdf