[COM] Oaklands Crossing | $174m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: PRO: Oaklands Rail Overpass

#496 Post by SouthAussie94 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:05 pm

How much closer to the shopping centre could the station realistically get? Short of acquiring a whole heap of property, the station isn't going anywhere..

What I think is needed is a sheltered walkway from the shopping centre to the station with travellators added to speed up the walk. This kind of setup is used at countless train stations overseas where the walk from one platform to another is significant.

While the train station remains a 10 minute walk from the shopping centre it won't be a realistic method of transport for most people.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#497 Post by Nathan » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:56 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:While the train station remains a 10 minute walk from the shopping centre it won't be a realistic method of transport for most people.
And not just any 10 minute walk, but one that requires crossing at a big intersection, and then across a massive open air carpark. I can think of few setups that scream 'don't bother' to pedestrians louder than that.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#498 Post by how good is he » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:38 pm

The most cost effective option to achieve this may be leaving the rail line & train station where it is and the resumption of homes/land between the shopping centre to station. It only looks like 15-20 homes around Diagonal Way and Letcher St.
This could then be used for future extension of the shopping centre and paid by Westfield anyway. Admittedly it is still 1km from the bulk of the main centre. By resuming Diagonal Rd in front/opposite the Aquatic centre it could make for a whole new major centre development one day.
With road overpasses built for Morphett and Diagonal Rd over the rail line (left at grade) this would solve the traffic issues.Thoughts?

ChillyPhilly

#499 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:04 am

It's not far to walk from the station. Although it's not an 'obvious' route.

The Tonsley line was at one point proposed to turn west, closer to Marion.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

claybro

#500 Post by claybro » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:46 am

SouthAussie94 wrote:How much closer to the shopping centre could the station realistically get?
Right underneath it if they were really serious. Close Oaklands Park and tunnel from Oaklands underneath Marion with a station under Westfield. It could then continue with a tunnel under Sturt road and join the existing line at Brighton. Hove station would also close. This could be part funded by sale of the land on the existing corridor from Oaklands to Brighton and the saving from the level crossing grade separation. This would also get rid of the Brighton road level crossing. A reduction of 1 station in this section would speed up service on the Seaford line.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#501 Post by how good is he » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:32 am

Makes sense Claybro and would be an ideal outcome. Only problem is cost. Any guess what it may cost? I doubt the $190m budget would come close even after sale of surplus land?

claybro

#502 Post by claybro » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:53 am

It would have to be looked at as a whole precinct change. Marion could then become a Southern CBD. Cost of the Mandurah line in Perth including 2x underground stations in the CBD cost somewhere around $900mil I believe, but that is 70km of track and associated suburban stations also. Therefore we could consider a cost of under $1BIL, minus the allocation for the Oaklands overpass and sale of land on the existing corridor. Still a costly proposition, but it would really transform the south west corner of Adelaide. Would allow for a much denser precinct and build on the public facilities already available ie the swimming centre. High density highrise could be built around the existing Oaklands station and medium density along the remaining rail corridor between Oaklands and Brighton. The rail reserve is quite wide the other side of Brighton road so there would be quite a bit of land available for development.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#503 Post by how good is he » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:29 am

Considering they are struggling to raise even $190m, I cant see it happening. So then with a spur line from the train station to the shopping centre only real question will it be at grade or overhead? The similar 1km overhead extension from Tonsley to Flinders Medical Centre was budgeted at $85m. That may be as good as it gets.

zippySA
High Rise Poster!

#504 Post by zippySA » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:33 am

Perhaps this is the brain-child of Rod Hook and his Sky Rail concept :hilarious:

Travel at 100km/hr (apparently) - wouldn't take long but you would leave your teeth back at the station with that acceleration!

claybro

#505 Post by claybro » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:49 am

how good is he wrote:Considering they are struggling to raise even $190m, I cant see it happening. So then with a spur line from the train station to the shopping centre only real question will it be at grade or overhead? The similar 1km overhead extension from Tonsley to Flinders Medical Centre was budgeted at $85m. That may be as good as it gets.
I think you are correct. It is a shame, because as Adelaide population is barely growing, the best way to create a vibrant metropolis is to condense what we already have. Most immigration will come from Asia, where residents are used to and happy to live in apartments close to transport and amenities. Why are they considering for example sprawling suburbs further South to Aldinga and extending the train line, with associated road infrastructure, when there are projects like this which would resolve an existing problem such as the Oaklands level crossing and transform Adelaide into a Vancouver or Portland for around the same cost.

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#506 Post by drsmith » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:25 pm

For comparison, the rail works for an 8km twin bore urban rail tunnel project under Perth airport was recently contracted for ~$1.2bn. The project includes two underground stations and an additional above ground station at the terminus. The tunnels themselves are on the Perth coastal plain and will thus be bored through soft material (sand).

The overall project budget is $2bn and that includes other components such as additional railcars and ancillary works such as associated road works. The tunnelling component above was contracted for less than the expected.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#507 Post by SRW » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:05 pm

I don't think we should be considering any tunnelling on our rail network before we've built and gained improved functionality from a tunnelled city loop. Given that infrastructure costs are falling atm (as mentioned by drsmith), now is a good time for the state to make that investment.

An investment in a rerouted Seaford line, however, I'm not so sure about. For one, I don't see that it would actually guarantee Marion's emergence as a southern CBD (if such a thing is even desirable over other places like Glenelg or Noarlunga). The square mile has still grown despite our central station's location at it's edge, for example. I think issues around zoning and land ownership have probably hindered densification around Marion more than public transport.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#508 Post by Norman » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:17 pm

Another year, another set of renders. Including another option of taking the rail underground. Stephen Mulligan was quoted to saying that they are exploring options of integrating residential or commercial development with this project, but really... let's just get the damned thing built!

Nathan

#509 Post by Nathan » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:06 pm

Norman wrote: exploring options of integrating residential or commercial development with this project, but really... let's just get the damned thing built!
Disagree. If integration and/or commercial development is a possibility, it should absolutely be explored before moving ahead. It would make a huge difference to the stations effectiveness, and shows some encouraging signs from DPTI that they're prepared to think of the bigger picture for once.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#510 Post by SRW » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:54 pm

Nathan wrote:
Norman wrote: exploring options of integrating residential or commercial development with this project, but really... let's just get the damned thing built!
Disagree. If integration and/or commercial development is a possibility, it should absolutely be explored before moving ahead. It would make a huge difference to the stations effectiveness, and shows some encouraging signs from DPTI that they're prepared to think of the bigger picture for once.
Agreed. Much like Bowden is being developed as a template/showcase for future TODs, an Oaklands redevelopment incorporating mixed-use facilities could provide a model for future station upgrades.
Keep Adelaide Weird