[COM] Oaklands Crossing | $174m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: PRO: Oaklands Rail Overpass

#601 Post by Norman » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:30 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:56 pm
Brucetiki wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:37 pm
Weatherill's just posted on his Facebook page that Public Transport Projects Alliance will build the underpass.

Detailed design starts immediately, major construction to start mid-year
Am I right in suggesting that there are less delays, costs and risks involved with building a rail underpass instead of an overpass?
Quite the opposite, going underground is exactly the opposite, except for maybe risk. However, it is more aesthetically pleasing and allows development to occur over the station itself (if the design allows, like at Bowden Station). It might also be easier to maintain and allows for easier passive security.

Some pics from SA Labor's Twitter (what an age we live in, relying on a political party's social media account for renders :roll: )

Question is... where are the car parks? Oaklands Station, whether we like it or not, is a major collector for car-train transfers.

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#602 Post by Westside » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:14 pm

Norman wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:30 pm
what an age we live in, relying on a political party's social media account for renders :roll:
That's about where renders belong. Keep them away from the business case so people stop relying on a picture to describe a detailed design!

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#603 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:22 pm

Thread title needs an update.

I'm hoping that they'll be putting in temporary tracks alongside while they build the underpass. The Seaford line has already endured enough closures in recent years with the electrification and Goodwood Underpass projects.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: PRO: Oaklands Rail Underpass

#604 Post by AndyWelsh » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:14 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Thread title needs an update.

I'm hoping that they'll be putting in temporary tracks alongside while they build the underpass. The Seaford line has already endured enough closures in recent years with the electrification and Goodwood Underpass projects.
I second that hope too. Is that even feasible though?
I’m concerned that 18 months for this project plus delays is going to be a nightmare for commuters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeFe

#605 Post by PeFe » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:15 pm

Those renders indicate no development around the railway station.....instead of a car park (for 200 cars that will bring 200 people) how about a tod surrounding the station where when you come up from the platforms you are greeted by an open air plaza with cafes and restaurants, a supermarket, newsagency and other small stores, with apartments above, housing hundreds of people....and easy bus connections.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#606 Post by Norman » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:19 pm

The first 3 renders show some sort of development while the 4th shows something like a car park. All previous media releases indicate there will be some medium density in the location where the rail tracks are now, and the rail underpass will be where the southern car park is now. That means there may only be minimal closures, fingers crossed.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#607 Post by Eurostar » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:38 pm

All good except I dont get why they can't fully cover over the wires area so that passengers can stay dry as possible. Majority of trains on Seaford Line are EMUs now so the roof won't get covered in diesel fumes.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#608 Post by AndyWelsh » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:53 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Thread title needs an update.

I posted about this on the offical Seaford line commuters group on Facebook and one of the comments was they’d heard the underpass could be built alongside keeping the existing track running. I’d be astonished if that was feasible.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#609 Post by Norman » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:54 pm

It will probably be done in a similar way as the Torrens Junction project, but in a shorter period as the length of the trench that would need to be dug out will be smaller.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#610 Post by AndyWelsh » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:09 am

Looks like the underpass is in a slightly different location to the current track.

This is a screenshot of what is there currently:

This is their new render with the track moving towards the left of the image and the new station eating into what is the current larger car park:

SBD

#611 Post by SBD » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:28 am

The mayor on the radio this morning said about losing some trees on the southeastern side as the railway would be moving across. Those pictures confirm what he said.

claybro

#612 Post by claybro » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:57 am

Is there any reason the station could not have been located UNDER the road overpass, therefore freeing up a significant amount of space where the station is to be built. This section could then be covered and used either for a large commercial building, apartments or even a park/open space with some car parking. I just think if we are to rein in urban sprawl, we really need to stop being lazy with our use of space particularly in areas with an existing high commercial mix.

Nathan

#613 Post by Nathan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:11 pm

claybro wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:57 am
Is there any reason the station could not have been located UNDER the road overpass, therefore freeing up a significant amount of space where the station is to be built. This section could then be covered and used either for a large commercial building, apartments or even a park/open space with some car parking. I just think if we are to rein in urban sprawl, we really need to stop being lazy with our use of space particularly in areas with an existing high commercial mix.
Probably some nonsense about the need for passive surveillance. At least that was one of the answers I got when I asked the same question about Bowden station during one of the Torrens Junction consultation days.

What I'm really puzzled about is the need for a pedestrian bridge 10m away from the footpath along the road? Why not just shift the whole thing 10m closer to the road?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#614 Post by Norman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:34 pm

Because there is a curve where the underpass is, it would leave a significant gap between the train and the platform at the doors. The station platforms need to be straight.

claybro

#615 Post by claybro » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:54 pm

Norman wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:34 pm
Because there is a curve where the underpass is, it would leave a significant gap between the train and the platform at the doors. The station platforms need to be straight.
Yes I see the curve, but not sure this should present an issue. Berlin Hauptbahnhof has a significant curve servicing much longer trains as do multiple other stations around the world. Does not seem to pose a problem in those applications.