[COM] Oaklands Crossing | $174m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: PRO: Oaklands Rail Underpass

#631 Post by Norman » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:20 pm

[Shuz] wrote:I think they're going to reroute the rail line to one side during construction so the line will remain open for the majority of construction works but of course there will be some weekend and night closures.
I don't think there is a need for a re-route. Knowing the station well, it looks like the new, lowered line will actually be travelling through what is currently occupied by the southern car park, meaning that construction can go on while the rail line is operating.

Benm16
Gold-Member ;)

#632 Post by Benm16 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:26 pm

Kasey771 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:56 am
Benm16 wrote:I sort of feel like this is a waste of money and time. I use the seafood line everyday and I would hate to have to go back to buses just to improve the car traffic on the roads. With the enirvoment issues we are facing these days, we shouldn’t be spending so much money on making car travel better but focus on better public transport as that is way of a greener future. Spend the money on improving our tram network or electric trains to Gawler, don’t improve an intersection that won’t do anything for the trains but make car travel more appealing, that’s the last thing we need.
What you say makes sense from an environmental and city mobility point of view, but fails the political test. Far more voters drive than catch public transport. Easy to see the motivation behind it now eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mmm so the planets going to die because of bullshit politics, great.

bits
Legendary Member!

#633 Post by bits » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:43 pm

The planet is not going to die for billions of years.
Humans can ruin it for ourselves, but life and the planet will march on regardless of what humans do.

The overpass itself does offer safety improvements, not just car travel times.
We should be removing all level crossing not because it helps cars get places quicker, but because they are dangerous.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#634 Post by Nathan » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:50 pm

There is the advantage for trains in that by removing the level crossing, you're allowing for more frequent running (in some cases, frequency is limited by the amount of time boom gates are allowed to be down per hour), and also they can carry more speed through. You can also couple pedestrian/cycling links in with the grade separation, providing safer access across busy roads.

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#635 Post by Torrens_5022 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:06 pm

The grade separation will allow for a small bus interchange and will make it possible for more Marion Centre buses to use the station, it will make traffic flow better and will be possible to terminate buses there eg 645, 646 and 734. Some people need to drive or use a bus to the station, so the grade separation will make it less time consuming for this and hopefully as i said above some bus are routed to terminate at the station instead of Westfield Marion.

EBG

#636 Post by EBG » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:15 pm

why ,in the proposed model, is Morphett Rd south bound (towards Marion shopping centre) reduced from the current 3 lanes to only 2 lanes. That is hardly an improvement.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#637 Post by Norman » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:09 pm

EBG wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:15 pm
why ,in the proposed model, is Morphett Rd south bound (towards Marion shopping centre) reduced from the current 3 lanes to only 2 lanes. That is hardly an improvement.
Morphett Road is only 3 lanes at the intersection, the rest of the road is 2 lanes. Because of the reduced waiting time by removing the railway crossing, I assume 3 lanes won't be required.

EBG

#638 Post by EBG » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:15 pm

So having crossed over the railway the road then suddenly becomes 4 lanes with 2 lanes verging left as Diagonal Rd and 2 lanes continuing straight on as Morphett R all within about 50 m from the railway line. This was the reason why the 3rd lane was introduced in order to help separate the flows.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#639 Post by Norman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:25 pm

I attended the community forum yesterday to look at the new plans. The station is looking a lot better, with a proper, architecturally designed shelter and finishes that look great. A few other things to note:
  • There will be 50 additional car parks at the station
  • There will be bike (and AFAIK toilet) facilities available in a new amenities building
  • Diagonal Way may be closed to increase the size of the adjacent reserve on the southern side, but that is currently under consideration by the council
  • The site that currently holds the main car park will be the new, lowered station, while the current station will be converted into a temporary grass area
  • The grassed area will eventually become a new development site, but the council does not expect more than 2-3 storeys on this site (it is all up to the market though)
  • During construction, the empty area next to the small Coles will become a temporary car park, which will become a development site after construction is complete. It is currently owned by DPTI.
  • Construction will start towards the end of the year, and is due to open in mid-2019
  • The architect of the station is the same as the one that worked at Bowden
  • This station will be classified as a premium station
  • The plaza on the northern side will contain plug-in facilities for pop-up food trucks and the like.
New renders and fly-through will be released later this week or next week.

ChillyPhilly

#640 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:42 pm

Wow, the vision for it has come a long way. I'm impressed. What does truly get my attention though is the effort that can/will go into activating it, thereby turning it into a place and not a mere space.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#641 Post by Norman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:52 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:Wow, the vision for it has come a long way. I'm impressed. What does truly get my attention though is the effort that can/will go into activating it, thereby turning it into a place and not a mere space.
The goal for the council is to make sure the buildings around the crossing are mixed use, so we might see a convenience store or cafe in there somewhere.

rhino

#642 Post by rhino » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:48 pm

Norman wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:52 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:Wow, the vision for it has come a long way. I'm impressed. What does truly get my attention though is the effort that can/will go into activating it, thereby turning it into a place and not a mere space.
The goal for the council is to make sure the buildings around the crossing are mixed use, so we might see a convenience store or cafe in there somewhere.
As there should be.
cheers,
Rhino

Nathan

#643 Post by Nathan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:40 pm

Wish they could have done something more like that at Bowden, the shelter looks infinitely better, and a much neater arrangement of stairs and ramps (Bowden's seem to fan out, taking up a lot of unnecessary room). Bonus marks for changing the 3 stage pedestrian crossing towards the aquatic centre to a 2 stage. Hope they deliver on the amenities building and development sites, and they can start setting a better standard of what stations in Adelaide should aim for.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#644 Post by Norman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:11 pm

Nathan wrote:Wish they could have done something more like that at Bowden, the shelter looks infinitely better, and a much neater arrangement of stairs and ramps (Bowden's seem to fan out, taking up a lot of unnecessary room). Bonus marks for changing the 3 stage pedestrian crossing towards the aquatic centre to a 2 stage. Hope they deliver on the amenities building and development sites, and they can start setting a better standard of what stations in Adelaide should aim for.
The amenities building has been moved to the southern Plaza in the next version of the design.

Design work is only 30% done at the moment, so if you have any feedback for the design team the time to submit that is now! There is another open day on Saturday to view the project and talk to the people running the project.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#645 Post by AndyWelsh » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:03 pm

Norman wrote:Design work is only 30% done at the moment, so if you have any feedback for the design team the time to submit that is now! There is another open day on Saturday to view the project and talk to the people running the project.
Was there any talk on how long commuters using the train would be disrupted for?

Thanks for the amazing info and photos by the way Norman!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk