[COM] Oaklands Crossing | $174m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Message
Author
User avatar
Pistol
Legendary Member!
Posts: 905
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 33 times

[COM] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#781 Post by Pistol » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:56 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:53 pm
OlympusAnt wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:46 pm
There's bigger issues around than the the name of a station
Like finishing the shelters at Hallett Cove and Hallett Cove Beach, maybe even Seaford Meadows and Seaford. In winter these stations with open style design are cold places to wait for a train.
Do they still run diesel trains on the Seaford line?
If so, they can't close them in...

In all honesty, how about we finish the electrification of the Adelaide train network before we start on more station upgrades eh?
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Eurostar
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 474
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 27 times

[COM] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#782 Post by Eurostar » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:15 pm

Pistol wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:56 pm
Eurostar wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:53 pm
OlympusAnt wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:46 pm
There's bigger issues around than the the name of a station
Like finishing the shelters at Hallett Cove and Hallett Cove Beach, maybe even Seaford Meadows and Seaford. In winter these stations with open style design are cold places to wait for a train.
Do they still run diesel trains on the Seaford line?
If so, they can't close them in...

In all honesty, how about we finish the electrification of the Adelaide train network before we start on more station upgrades eh?
All Seaford and Tonsley trains are run by EMUs. Government should look at selling land above stations like Seaford, a Coles maybe

User avatar
1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:01 pm
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 25 times

[COM] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#783 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:09 pm

Pistol wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:56 pm
Eurostar wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:53 pm
OlympusAnt wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:46 pm
There's bigger issues around than the the name of a station
Like finishing the shelters at Hallett Cove and Hallett Cove Beach, maybe even Seaford Meadows and Seaford. In winter these stations with open style design are cold places to wait for a train.
Do they still run diesel trains on the Seaford line?
If so, they can't close them in...

In all honesty, how about we finish the electrification of the Adelaide train network before we start on more station upgrades eh?
Does electrification actually result in lower costs in SA? I mean, we have the most expensive power prices in the world. That plus the extra maintenance the catenary requires, I don't see much possibility of savings.

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 988
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 305 times
Been thanked: 76 times

[COM] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#784 Post by SBD » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:31 pm

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:09 pm
Pistol wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:56 pm
Eurostar wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:53 pm


Like finishing the shelters at Hallett Cove and Hallett Cove Beach, maybe even Seaford Meadows and Seaford. In winter these stations with open style design are cold places to wait for a train.
Do they still run diesel trains on the Seaford line?
If so, they can't close them in...

In all honesty, how about we finish the electrification of the Adelaide train network before we start on more station upgrades eh?
Does electrification actually result in lower costs in SA? I mean, we have the most expensive power prices in the world. That plus the extra maintenance the catenary requires, I don't see much possibility of savings.
Electricity is only expensive when that suits the political narrative of the day. It is not expensive if you are using it to power public transport or electric cars. If we all vote PHON, then we might get the federal government to build us a shiny new coal-fired power station which can power the desalination plant with extra power to reduce retail electricity prices.

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5616
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 752 times
Been thanked: 1298 times

[COM] Re: [U/C] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#785 Post by Norman » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:43 am

Eurostar wrote:
Pistol wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:56 pm
Eurostar wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:53 pm
Like finishing the shelters at Hallett Cove and Hallett Cove Beach, maybe even Seaford Meadows and Seaford. In winter these stations with open style design are cold places to wait for a train.
Do they still run diesel trains on the Seaford line?
If so, they can't close them in...

In all honesty, how about we finish the electrification of the Adelaide train network before we start on more station upgrades eh?
All Seaford and Tonsley trains are run by EMUs. Government should look at selling land above stations like Seaford, a Coles maybe
Why? There's a perfectly good shopping centre only a few hundred metres away.

User avatar
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 2233
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: City
Has thanked: 486 times
Been thanked: 199 times

[COM] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#786 Post by SRW » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:45 am

SBD wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:31 pm
1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:09 pm
Pistol wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:56 pm


Do they still run diesel trains on the Seaford line?
If so, they can't close them in...

In all honesty, how about we finish the electrification of the Adelaide train network before we start on more station upgrades eh?
Does electrification actually result in lower costs in SA? I mean, we have the most expensive power prices in the world. That plus the extra maintenance the catenary requires, I don't see much possibility of savings.
Electricity is only expensive when that suits the political narrative of the day. It is not expensive if you are using it to power public transport or electric cars. If we all vote PHON, then we might get the federal government to build us a shiny new coal-fired power station which can power the desalination plant with extra power to reduce retail electricity prices.
You're joking, right?
Keep Adelaide Weird

Eurostar
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 474
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 27 times

[COM] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#787 Post by Eurostar » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:48 am

Norman said
Why? There's a perfectly good shopping centre only a few hundred metres away.
The revenue the government makes from the sale of the land above the station can go back into things like station parking, station facilities, fully undercover bus interchange. Add apartments above station too. Australia's population is increasing, Adelaide needs a mix of housing if we want to protect our farmlands.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 293
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:31 pm
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 31 times

[COM] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#788 Post by OlympusAnt » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:56 am

Eurostar wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:53 pm
OlympusAnt wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:46 pm
There's bigger issues around than the the name of a station
Like finishing the shelters at Hallett Cove and Hallett Cove Beach, maybe even Seaford Meadows and Seaford. In winter these stations with open style design are cold places to wait for a train.
The Belair Line needs work badly in some areas
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5616
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 752 times
Been thanked: 1298 times

[COM] Re: [U/C] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#789 Post by Norman » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:15 pm

Eurostar wrote:Norman said
Why? There's a perfectly good shopping centre only a few hundred metres away.
The revenue the government makes from the sale of the land above the station can go back into things like station parking, station facilities, fully undercover bus interchange. Add apartments above station too. Australia's population is increasing, Adelaide needs a mix of housing if we want to protect our farmlands.
I don't think there is any appetite in the market to do that for now. Maybe a few decades into the future, but definitely not now. Why build expensive buildings over train stations when there is cheaper land available elsewhere?

User avatar
1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:01 pm
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 25 times

[COM] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#790 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:17 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:48 am
Norman said
Why? There's a perfectly good shopping centre only a few hundred metres away.
The revenue the government makes from the sale of the land above the station can go back into things like station parking, station facilities, fully undercover bus interchange. Add apartments above station too. Australia's population is increasing, Adelaide needs a mix of housing if we want to protect our farmlands.
Why not do that in the CBD? The yards into Adelaide Railway Station could be covered by buildings.

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 988
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 305 times
Been thanked: 76 times

[COM] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#791 Post by SBD » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:23 pm

SRW wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:45 am
SBD wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:31 pm
1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:09 pm


Does electrification actually result in lower costs in SA? I mean, we have the most expensive power prices in the world. That plus the extra maintenance the catenary requires, I don't see much possibility of savings.
Electricity is only expensive when that suits the political narrative of the day. It is not expensive if you are using it to power public transport or electric cars. If we all vote PHON, then we might get the federal government to build us a shiny new coal-fired power station which can power the desalination plant with extra power to reduce retail electricity prices.
You're joking, right?
Somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but I haven't heard anyone (even Pauline Hanson) advocating for new employment and industry by building a refinery on Eyre Peninsula to process Great Australian Bite crude oil so that cars, trucks and trains can run on cheap petrol/diesel instead of expensive wind- and solar-derived electricity in electric cars.

Pauline DID promise a federal government-funded power station for SA.

kymbosa
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:39 pm
Has thanked: 62 times
Been thanked: 8 times

[COM] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#792 Post by kymbosa » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:35 am

SBD wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:23 pm
SRW wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:45 am
SBD wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:31 pm


Electricity is only expensive when that suits the political narrative of the day. It is not expensive if you are using it to power public transport or electric cars. If we all vote PHON, then we might get the federal government to build us a shiny new coal-fired power station which can power the desalination plant with extra power to reduce retail electricity prices.
You're joking, right?
Somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but I haven't heard anyone (even Pauline Hanson) advocating for new employment and industry by building a refinery on Eyre Peninsula to process Great Australian Bite crude oil so that cars, trucks and trains can run on cheap petrol/diesel instead of expensive wind- and solar-derived electricity in electric cars.

Pauline DID promise a federal government-funded power station for SA.
And back on the subject of Oaklands railway station, how’s it looking? 🧐

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 172
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:32 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 37 times

[COM] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#793 Post by PD2/20 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:48 pm

kymbosa wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:35 am
And back on the subject of Oaklands railway station, how’s it looking? 🧐
See Norman's comprehensive set of photos in a series of posts this week starting at http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... 68#p179768

Also an extract from an update yesterday by the project team:
The project is now 15 days into the three-week occupation and tracking well!

To date, the project has removed overhead line equipment, rail tracks, sleepers, ballast, earth material and started demolition of the old station. We also have crews continuing with the new station construction, ready for opening on Monday 6 May.

New track has been laid and the upgraded pedestrian and cyclist rail crossings are progressing well, with three crews working across the sites at Hove, Warradale and Seventh Avenue.

A big focus over the next few days is the installation of overhead wiring. As of this morning, the project has installed a total of:

2400 metres contact wire
1800 metres return conductor wire
1300 metres catenary wire
900 metres earth wire
700 metres optical ground wire.

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5616
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 752 times
Been thanked: 1298 times

[COM] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#794 Post by Norman » Sat May 04, 2019 3:19 pm

Test trains have started on the Seaford Line:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5s4vpWcehA

Also, some fresh photos from today:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

NTRabbit
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:00 pm
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 30 times

[COM] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#795 Post by NTRabbit » Sat May 04, 2019 7:49 pm

How long until new Oaklands has a car park of meaningful size? Asking for a friend looking to turn the second leg of my, I mean his two bus trip home from his new job at Modbury from +90 minutes in peak hour, into 20 minutes train + 15-20minutes drive.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests