News & Discussion: Road Rules

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Common sense on the roads of Adelaide

#16 Post by Wayno » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:49 pm

rhino wrote:Have you noticed that a significant number of people who are completely oblivious to anyone around them are diving Volos? Strange but true.
There's an ageing priest in my suburb who drives a Volvo and is a menace on the road. Quite oddly, he wears a black motorcycle helmet while driving his car (no visor) :lol: anyone else seen him?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

ac83
Gold-Member ;)

#17 Post by ac83 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:29 am

This just in on AdelaideNow:
AdelaideNow wrote: THE number of collisions resulting from merging traffic in SA has risen over the past three years.

SGIC head of research Robert McDonald said that South Australians claimed nearly $1 million each year as a result of merging accidents.

Main North Rd had the most collisions, but South Rd had the biggest increase, with nearly five times the number of crashes reported last year than in 2009.

North East Rd and Port Rd were also named as trouble spots.

Mr McDonald said the accident figures highlighted the need for all drivers to take more care when merging.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/were-wors ... 6107814095
Lack of common sense with regards to Zip Merging. And get rid of the dashed lines on freeways/expressways. The rule is for these that you MUST give way to all traffic. Stopping at on a merging lane while the traffic is flying past at 100kph is just plain stupid. Get rid of the dashed line and turn them into proper zip merges. Just need to teach the majority out there!

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#18 Post by Maximus » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:06 pm

I actually think that a zip-merge in the case of an on-ramp joining with a highway/freeway is potentially quite dangerous. Generally speaking, the cars on the on-ramp have not yet reached the speed of the cars on the highway/freeway when they reach the merge point (and, in fact, a lot of people dawdle extremely cautiously), so for these cars to have right of way over other cars that are travelling at high speed could lead to some nasty accidents, I suspect.

I think a better solution is for on-ramps to be substantially longer, thus giving the entering traffic more time to reach the speed of the prevailing traffic, at which point the 'merge' effectively becomes just a standard lane change.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

ac83
Gold-Member ;)

#19 Post by ac83 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:23 pm

Maximus wrote:I actually think that a zip-merge in the case of an on-ramp joining with a highway/freeway is potentially quite dangerous. Generally speaking, the cars on the on-ramp have not yet reached the speed of the cars on the highway/freeway when they reach the merge point (and, in fact, a lot of people dawdle extremely cautiously), so for these cars to have right of way over other cars that are travelling at high speed could lead to some nasty accidents, I suspect.

I think a better solution is for on-ramps to be substantially longer, thus giving the entering traffic more time to reach the speed of the prevailing traffic, at which point the 'merge' effectively becomes just a standard lane change.
Agree and disagree with the above. The zip merges work when both cars entering the fwy and on the fwy are doing the same speed. The issue we have here in this state is that people do not speed up to the necessary speed before they enter the fwy. Then you have the other issue of the dotted merging line. If this was to completely dissapear of all roads (like WA for example) and have some simple advertising on teaching people the zip merge we can solve a lot of these issues.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#20 Post by spiller » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:39 pm

This thread is all true, true, true. I vent to people about this on a daily basis. Driving in this city is one of the most frustrating things known to man! At the top of my list of most frustrating driving (in no particular order)

i) speeding up to cover the gap between cars so people cannot change lanes - what is the point?????
ii) driving in the right hand lane, where it stipulates "keep left unless overtaking" (whether it be at the speed limit or not, you shouldnt be in the right lane unless you are overtaking)
iii) complete lack of understanding of zipper merge (see ignorance in part i))
iv) driving below the speed limit (this is dangerous due to all of the above)

this is the problem...

the government has instilled so much fear in people with their propaganda about "creeping" and "speeding", their blatant revenue raising, over policing of speed limits (with cameras particularly), that people are too scared to even drive AT the speed limit. Consequently, traffic moves more slowly, which frustrates other drivers which leads to some of the stuff above. I STRONGLY doubt that photographing and fining people for speeding 5-10 kph over the speed limit does much to reduce deaths and accidents on our roads. It is BLATANT revenue raising. How about the government invests more into proper driver education as to the actual road rules, and focuses on perhpas targeting/policing things mentioned above (eg, lane changes, overtaking etc), rather than taking the easy way out and planting automated cameras all over the place. It is absolute bulls**t and it makes my blood boil.

I just spent a month on holiday in the US. Everyone drives 5-10 miles over the speed limit. I'm not condoning this, but people there have a FAR better understanding of the road rules than in this country, perhaps its because speeding isnt over policed and the focus is more on policing safe driving in all aspects (not just speeding!). My partner's father (who is american) actually referred to speed cameras as "an invasion of privacy", which couldnt be more true IMHO. Also, I didnt see one ad on television about speeding or a single news report about a road accident/death (which in Australia, are largely justifications for the revenue raising that we have to put up with).

/huge rant.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#21 Post by Nathan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:06 pm

I'm sorry, but how exactly is a speed camera an invasion of privacy?

Perhaps the reasons for more strict policing with cameras and so forth, is because Australian's have clearly demonstrated that generally speaking - we can't drive. Perhaps the better solution then is far more difficult and comprehensive lessons to gain a licence. There would be multiple benefits: Fewer people would actually get their licence; Those that do will be far better drivers; And a much better understanding that being able to drive is not a right, but something that has to be earnt.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#22 Post by peas_and_corn » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:14 pm

spiller wrote: this is the problem...

the government has instilled so much fear in people with their propaganda about "creeping" and "speeding", their blatant revenue raising, over policing of speed limits (with cameras particularly), that people are too scared to even drive AT the speed limit. Consequently, traffic moves more slowly, which frustrates other drivers which leads to some of the stuff above. I STRONGLY doubt that photographing and fining people for speeding 5-10 kph over the speed limit does much to reduce deaths and accidents on our roads. It is BLATANT revenue raising. How about the government invests more into proper driver education as to the actual road rules, and focuses on perhpas targeting/policing things mentioned above (eg, lane changes, overtaking etc), rather than taking the easy way out and planting automated cameras all over the place. It is absolute bulls**t and it makes my blood boil.
Really? I haven't seen this behaviour. Rather, I've just seen people slow to the speed limit when going past the camera then speeding again.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#23 Post by fabricator » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:56 pm

You think Adelaide drivers are bad, pay a visit to the town centre of Gawler. You know its bad when the driving instructors say people in town are the worst, then the instructor moves house to get a job somewhere else 12 months later.

I'd suggest installing a sentry gun at the end of every zip merge or overtaking lane. Speed up for just the overtaking lane, or force other cars to stop for the zip merge and have you and your precious car blown to bits. If successful (and why wouldn't it) install the same for railroad crossings, flashing red light = gun armed.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

Zills
Gold-Member ;)

#24 Post by Zills » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:16 pm

peas_and_corn wrote:
spiller wrote: this is the problem...

Really? I haven't seen this behaviour. Rather, I've just seen people slow to the speed limit when going past the camera then speeding again.

This is very typical of the eastern suburbs and frustrates me every day! Completely agree with your sentiments, It wouldn't suprise me if this turned out to be the major cause of road rage and traffic weaving. Furthermore I wish parking was banned in the left lines on main roads...!!

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#25 Post by AtD » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:59 am

I think it is a mark of a civil society when you put your indicator on to change lanes and people create a gap to let you in.

ac83
Gold-Member ;)

#26 Post by ac83 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:42 am

It seems that we all agree on this issue being a major factor on incidents, road rage and plain stupidity on the roads. Why the government has failed to notice this is beyond me. There has been 2 accidents in 2 mornings on the Southern Expressway in the same location. Possibly caused by lack of attention and rear ending or stupidity in rapid lane changing and clipping a car. Tom Kenyon would argue that it is speed. And only speed. Forget about other factors. A couple of things needed I believe:

1. Remove the dashed line where 2 lanes merge. Simple re-engineering for all future roads and current is a minor thing and would even save on paint! Some merging lanes also need to be made longer to allow cars to speed up to the posted limit before they enter the main road.
2. Advertise exactly how a zip merge works. Forget about this 65kph in a 60 zone bullshit.
3. Enforce the keep left unless overtaking rule. Why do people drive on the expressway 10kph under in the right lane. In UK it is illegal to undertake and this keeps the slowies on the left.
4. Driver education. When new rules are brought in the only way we find out is if read AdelaideNow (Bad choice all round) or get the RAA magazine. Shouldn't there be some sort of mandated re-testing everytime they bring a new bunch of rules in? This goes with far better driver education when first gaining your licence. All P platers are experts and reverse parallel parking but have got no idea what to do if they start aquaplaning in the wet.

I believe they are simple things. Not too costly and can be implemented quite effectively. More advertising on simple things like indicating. Yes it really is going back to basics but so many drivers are apathetic to their surroundings.

[Shuz]

#27 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:24 pm

ac83 wrote:4. Driver education. When new rules are brought in the only way we find out is if read AdelaideNow (Bad choice all round) or get the RAA magazine. Shouldn't there be some sort of mandated re-testing everytime they bring a new bunch of rules in? This goes with far better driver education when first gaining your licence.
THIS.
It absolutely astounds me why this isn't in force. I'm not so sure about 'every time a new rule comes in' - going a bit far, but I absolutely do agree with the principle of it. It should be mandatory for all drivers be required to undertake a theory/practical driver's education test every 5 years or so, from the date of issue of their full license so that people are genuinely educated and informed to be better drivers on our roads.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

ac83
Gold-Member ;)

#28 Post by ac83 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:39 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
ac83 wrote:4. Driver education. When new rules are brought in the only way we find out is if read AdelaideNow (Bad choice all round) or get the RAA magazine. Shouldn't there be some sort of mandated re-testing everytime they bring a new bunch of rules in? This goes with far better driver education when first gaining your licence.
THIS.
It absolutely astounds me why this isn't in force. I'm not so sure about 'every time a new rule comes in' - going a bit far, but I absolutely do agree with the principle of it. It should be mandatory for all drivers be required to undertake a theory/practical driver's education test every 5 years or so, from the date of issue of their full license so that people are genuinely educated and informed to be better drivers on our roads.
I need to get a petition going! All the Occ Health and Safety procedures a company puts their employees through just to ensure they switch off the lights at night is astonishing. They are forever being retrained in the processes. Yet you can get your licence for a measly $400 or so, become an expert at parallel parking (even though the majority of people can't) then you get given the keys to potentially a weapon of mass destruction.

I'm happy for the minimum driving age to be kept at 16 but why not put the above into the school curriculum. Granted not everyone gets their licence but at the same time not everyone requires Science and Religion but it's still put in there.

Oh and another thing give the hoons somewhere to let there ego be tested. I was young once too and plenty of times "tested a car's performance in a matter deemed ...................." To take this away for good is like taking away a kid's favourite toy. Yes take it off the public road but give them some where to go along an run a muck at their own risk. Surely Tom Kenyon was young once too

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#29 Post by spiller » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:39 am

Nathan wrote:I'm sorry, but how exactly is a speed camera an invasion of privacy?
Why are you "sorry"? It might sound like a strange opinion/theory (speed cameras being an invasion of privacy) but my partner's father has a point. If someone is going to fine you for speeding, they should have to catch you (i.e. with a laser gun). Hiding a camera in the bushes on the side of the road is cheating and is an invasion of privacy. There is a senator in the state of Georgia who has worked to halve the amount of red-light cameras in that state...his motivation began when a cop caught him speeding whilst hiding at a gas station. He has proposed that rather than catch people going through red-lights and fining them, that they increase the number of seconds of the yellow light (perfectly safe method and reduces chances of accidents more effectively than merely fining people). But the government doesnt want to cut their revenue, so they take "the easy way out".

Yes, it requires lateral thinking, then again American's are much more self-righteous than we are. Sometimes that can be a bad thing, in this case its standing up for something that is utter bulls**t.
Nathan wrote:Perhaps the reasons for more strict policing with cameras and so forth, is because Australian's have clearly demonstrated that generally speaking - we can't drive. Perhaps the better solution then is far more difficult and comprehensive lessons to gain a licence. There would be multiple benefits: Fewer people would actually get their licence; Those that do will be far better drivers; And a much better understanding that being able to drive is not a right, but something that has to be earnt.
Tell me why or how catching people speeding is going to educate people on how to be better drivers? There is FAR more to safe driving than not speeding 5-10kph over the limit. I see an accident at the Prospect Road/Fitzroy Terrace intersection almost every single week (at which there are TWO red-light/speed cameras mind you) and 99% of them are caused by idiots who don't know how to safely turn right "with care" at a green light. Do the red-light/speed cameras help there? No, but they are very profitable, no doubt. They could put four cameras at that intersection and even another on a space-satellite and there would still be the same number of accidents there each year.

Its just that speed fines are the easiest and best way of making money for the government. If you can't see that, you are oblivious to "policy".

Nathan

#30 Post by Nathan » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:03 pm

I don't think you understood my post correctly Spiller. I didn't say that fining people for speeding is going to educate people, I just said that the more strict policing is a reaction to the fact we can't drive (regardless on whether it's the right reaction or not). If you re-read what I wrote, I suggested that making licences tougher to get was a better solution.

I still don't see why your partner's father "has a point". All said and done, why does it make any difference if a cop personally pulled you over, or a camera gets you? You're still doing the exact same infringement (speeding). You also haven't explained why it's an invasion of privacy, when you're being caught/photographed/whatever on a public road.

As for why I'm "sorry":
• used as a polite request that someone should repeat something that one has failed to hear or understand: Sorry? In case I what?