News & Discussion: Road Rules

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Maximus
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Road Rules

#106 Post by Maximus » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:58 am

My thoughts are that we should stop talking about it and instead just concentrate on driving or cycling with due consideration for other road users. Just obey the rules, be predictable and do your best to stay out of everyone's way.

I'm both a cyclist and a motorist. I enjoy reading cycling forums, but lately I've given up a bit because of the ridiculous 'holier than thou' attitude of so many forum members. The vitriol spewed by some motorists towards cyclists is well known, but I reckon there is just as high a proportion of cyclists with a bad attitude towards motorists. Yes, it's your legal right to cycle in heavy traffic, perform right-hand turns, use roundabouts, etc, etc, but is it really a good idea? It's no use whingeing that you were 'in the right' if you're dead.

Common sense on both sides of the debate seems to be sadly lacking IMHO.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Pressman
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#107 Post by Pressman » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:12 am

Maximus wrote:Common sense on both sides of the debate seems to be sadly lacking IMHO.
Common sense from both sides out on the road is also sadly lacking :roll:

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#108 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:54 am

A lot of these problems would be solved if cyclists were allowed to ride on the footpaths!
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Nathan

#109 Post by Nathan » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:57 am

[Shuz] wrote:A lot of these problems would be solved if cyclists were allowed to ride on the footpaths!
No they wouldn't, because riding any kind of distance entirely on footpaths would be incredibly impractical.

Pressman
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#110 Post by Pressman » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:59 am

[Shuz] wrote:A lot of these problems would be solved if cyclists were allowed to ride on the footpaths!
And then cause a whole new set of prolems interfacing with pedestrians :?

[Shuz]

#111 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:01 am

Well, clearly the high-speed cyclists should stick to the roads, but the low speed cyclists, like myself - I do the right thing, travel slowly and safely and give way to pedestrians when riding on footpaths. I refuse to ride on the road.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Nathan

#112 Post by Nathan » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:52 pm

[Shuz] wrote:I do the right thing.
[Shuz] wrote: when riding on footpaths. I refuse to ride on the road.
You're not doing the right thing.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#113 Post by monotonehell » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:47 pm

You can understand why this matter is so vitriol filled. Cyclists stand to potentially be killed or injured, while motorists stand to cause that harm. Most people are not self aware enough to recognise their inner turmoil on the matter and vent it as rage. As said above, people need to be more careful, attentive and thoughtful.

It would also help if councils stopped with the gutter bike lanes. that are invaded by turning and parked vehicles. As well as the bike lanes directly inside a line of parked cars (a car door to the face is detrimental to a cyclist). Segregated bike lanes are the way to go, but it seems people are too stupid to accept change for the better.

While we're bitching about road rules; is there an actual road rule about entering a blocked intersection? If not, why not? Every day I walk through the CBD from work to home. And every day I see motorists pull into a blocked intersection, gambling that room will appear before the lights change. Quite often the vehicle is trapped blocking other traffic and pedestrians. Selfish behaviour like this leads to everyone being delayed.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Pressman
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#114 Post by Pressman » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:05 pm

monotonehell wrote:While we're bitching about road rules; is there an actual road rule about entering a blocked intersection? If not, why not? Every day I walk through the CBD from work to home. And every day I see motorists pull into a blocked intersection, gambling that room will appear before the lights change. Quite often the vehicle is trapped blocking other traffic and pedestrians. Selfish behaviour like this leads to everyone being delayed.
Yes, there is a road rule that states something about NOT entering a blocked intersection. Lately some may notice those yellow hatch lines at Level Crossings, maybe we need them at intersections too :shock: