News & Discussion: Road Rules

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Common sense on the roads of Adelaide

#76 Post by crawf » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:10 pm

james07 wrote:I just had the pleasure (not) of being tailgatted for about 30 kms in each direction from Tea Tree Gully to Birdwood. I don't experience the tailgatting in the metro area or on major highways - only on windy single lane roads. Sure I was taking it easy, it is Easter Sunday, but does it really matter whether we get to our destination a little earlier or later. It was nice to cruise along and enjoy the scenery. The tailgatting behaviour is common in this State - it is all about them - a lack of consideration for other motorists. Typical of an economic backwater.
I know this is your first post but are you serious?. Scenic route or not, if you were travelling at a slower speed then no wonder you were being tailgated. Take in consideration of other motorists instead of being selfish, it's not like there is many safe opportunities to overtake your car on roads such as this one. And that last comment,seriously?

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#77 Post by Splashmo » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:42 am

Being tailgated is frustrated when you're travelling at the speed limit, but that road between TTG and Birdwood has dozens of slow vehicle turn-outs that you should have used to let other traffic pass.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#78 Post by rhino » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:53 am

james07 wrote: Sure I was taking it easy, it is Easter Sunday, but does it really matter whether we get to our destination a little earlier or later. It was nice to cruise along and enjoy the scenery. .......... it is all about them ..........Typical of an economic backwater.
Sounds like it's all about you James. Too bad if the people who live and work in that area have commitments that they have to get to - James is out for a Sunday Drive, so what if you arrive at your appointment a little late? The person with the backwater thinking is you mate!

I live in the hills and have to put up with this crap from metro drivers constantly. As soon as they find themselves in the country, they think everyone else there is just out for a cruise like they are. How would they like it if country drivers came to the suburbs and clogged up the roads taking in the ambience of the area?
cheers,
Rhino

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#79 Post by jk1237 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:52 am

ok my 2 cents worth. I find Adelaide Hills drivers the most pig headed arrogant drivers. If someone drives on a windy road that they have never driven on, why do hills drivers think that sitting a metre behind is going to make the driver in front go faster. If there are overtaking lanes I always see the slow car go into it. The issue is with the Adl hillbilly people that think that they own the road and no one gets in their way, and the fact that they live in the hills but no one else is allowed to.

Have Adelaide hills drivers ever been to a plains suburb that they have never been to, and drive cautiously because they are not quite sure where they are going?

rhino

#80 Post by rhino » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:19 pm

jk1237 wrote:ok my 2 cents worth. I find Adelaide Hills drivers the most pig headed arrogant drivers. If someone drives on a windy road that they have never driven on, why do hills drivers think that sitting a metre behind is going to make the driver in front go faster. If there are overtaking lanes I always see the slow car go into it.
The most pig-headed drivers? That's laughable! People do pull over on the windy roads, and, to be honest, I don't think you can call it tailgating when the drive is so slow anyway!

Why do Adelaide people think it's OK to cruise through the hills towns 20km/h below the speed limit, when there is insufficient room to pass? Why do they never notice the 15 cars behind them waiting for them to pull over (which they don't)? I constantly hear the argument "Why are you (the collective You meaning all hills people) in such a hurry? It's so beautiful, take your time". Well yes, it's beautiful, but when you're going about your every-day living you shouldn't have to do it at tourist pace. My dad used to tell me that he is not required to drive at the speed limit, just don't exceed it. I told him that everyone else has the right to travel at the speed limit and he was not allowing them to excercise their right, and it had never occurred to him. He lives in the suburbs.
cheers,
Rhino

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#81 Post by mshagg » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:51 am

jk1237 wrote:The issue is with the Adl hillbilly people that think that they own the road and no one gets in their way, and the fact that they live in the hills but no one else is allowed to.
No, the issue with Adelaide Hills drivers is that they (formerly "we" lol) expect people to be sufficienctly skilled at controlling a motor vehicle that they can maintain 60km/hr through a series of corners.

If you're not that good behind the wheel, that's fine... but do everyone a favour and use the freeway.

Waewick

#82 Post by Waewick » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:32 am

try driving to the Riverland.

90kmph for long stretches of road, until you hit the overtaking lane and suddenly the driver is more than comfortable at 110-120kmph.

You then get the reverse who overtakes you in a overtaking lane (fair enough) or at road works (not fair enough) only to go slower once the overtaking lane is removed.

Then we have the complete and utter moron, who overtakes in inappropriate places relying on those he is trying to overtake to swerve off the road so accidents don't happen.

I do sometimes understand their frustration especially when you are unable to overtake in overtaking lanes because a few people believe the "two lane" policy applies and overtaking becomes secondary.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#83 Post by Hooligan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:37 pm

What the hell is a two lane policy?

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Waewick

#84 Post by Waewick » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:01 pm

Hooligan wrote:What the hell is a two lane policy?
In Adelaide, it is the ability for two cars to travel side by side at under the speed limit ensuring no one can get past.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#85 Post by Hooligan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:59 pm

Huh? The law is to keep left unless overtaking.

Signature removed 

Waewick

#86 Post by Waewick » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:22 pm

Hooligan wrote:Huh? The law is to keep left unless overtaking.
oh, sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it was legal or correct.

just that Adelaide people love to do it

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#87 Post by crawf » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:51 pm

Waewick wrote:
Hooligan wrote:What the hell is a two lane policy?
In Adelaide, it is the ability for two cars to travel side by side at under the speed limit ensuring no one can get past.
So true.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#88 Post by Hooligan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:02 am

Waewick wrote:
Hooligan wrote:Huh? The law is to keep left unless overtaking.
oh, sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it was legal or correct.

just that Adelaide people love to do it
oh ok lol totally misunderstood you then.

Signature removed 

cyber_256
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#89 Post by cyber_256 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:47 pm

Probably the most annoying thing I have noticed lately on the roads are drivers who are either looking for a park, or looking for that street and they drive part in the bike lane and part in the car lane going about 10-15k slower.

To make it worse they dont indicate or anything of the sort to let the rest of us know what their intentions are. I ended up tooting at one the other day after they drove along for about 5k's going slowly with no indicator and then all of a sudden they stopped. At least indicate before stopping or pull over to allow people to pass.

Nathan

#90 Post by Nathan » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:38 pm

cyber_256 wrote:Probably the most annoying thing I have noticed lately on the roads are drivers who are either looking for a park, or looking for that street and they drive part in the bike lane and part in the car lane going about 10-15k slower.

To make it worse they dont indicate or anything of the sort to let the rest of us know what their intentions are. I ended up tooting at one the other day after they drove along for about 5k's going slowly with no indicator and then all of a sudden they stopped. At least indicate before stopping or pull over to allow people to pass.
They're even worse if you're on a bike (Rundle Rd is a prime spot). And everytime I come up behind one and signal that they're blocking the bike lane, the driver launches into a tirade.