News & Discussion: Regional Road Upgrades

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Penola Bypass

#16 Post by rhino » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:36 am

youarehere wrote:The entire South East rail network was abandoned in the mid-90s when the majority of the SA rail network was converted to standard gauge. A tourist train did run between Penola and Mount Gambier for a while but now even that has stopped. I would assume any road over the rail "corridor" would not need to incorporate a level crossing.
If/when Protavia get their pulp mill going, the trains will be running again from the mill, which , as I understand it, will be a little way south of Penola, to Port Adelaide. Don't hold your breath, but don't write the railway line off either.
cheers,
Rhino

skyliner

#17 Post by skyliner » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:09 pm

A good summary of the matter Rhino. I'm waiting to hear more aboput the financial backing of the mill - due out in November. This will open the way for the action.

SA -STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

News & Discussion: Regional Road Upgrades

#18 Post by Wayno » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:30 am

Here's a nice little bonus for SA, compliments of a big hole in the ground.

From AdelaideNow
WORK will begin this week on an upgrade of the Stuart Highway to prepare for the Olympic Dam mine expansion.

BHP Billiton will pay for the $25 million upgrade of about 250km of the highway as part of more than a billion dollars in preliminary works for the mine project.

The road will be widened and the shoulders sealed to create a 3.5m wide traffic lane between Port Augusta and Olympic Dam.

South Australian companies PD Excavations and Bardavcol have been awarded contracts for works on a 173km section from Port Augusta and another 80km on the Pimba to Olympic Dam road.

The project is expected to be complete by September.

Mineral Resources and Energy Minister Tom Koutsantonis said the works would ensure the road can handle the increased traffic loads expected.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Highway
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

jase111
Gold-Member ;)

Re: Stuart Highway Upgrade

#19 Post by jase111 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:12 pm

No planning study no consultation a private company decides to improve infrastructure and it's done in 8 months and finished that would be nice

rhino

#20 Post by rhino » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:03 am

jase111 wrote:No planning study no consultation a private company decides to improve infrastructure and it's done in 8 months and finished that would be nice
Private companies can do that. If the Govt awarded a job to a company and said "get it done in this time frame, here's the money" every other company would be screaming "Why didn't we get an opportunity to bid on it?" and so on.

It's not very different with employing staff. A private company knows who they want to put into a job, and puts that person there. The Government also knows who it wants in a job, but has to go through a huge process of advertising the job, receiving applications, doing interviews, only to award the job to the person they knew they wanted in the first place. But if they didn't go through all that, the public would be up in arms about nepotism and lack of opportunity.
cheers,
Rhino

adamd
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#21 Post by adamd » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:23 pm

jase111 wrote:No planning study no consultation a private company decides to improve infrastructure and it's done in 8 months and finished that would be nice
Sorry but yes there was a planning study, yes there was consultation. This road work has been part of the proposed expansion since day 1. Given that SA, NT and Federal Governments have all accepted the expansion proposal, it is fair to say that this has been covered off thoroughly. As has the rail line spur, the desal plant, the airport, the maintenance facilities, the processing facilities etc etc :)

What surprises me is that it is only going to cost $25mil to create a 3.5metre wide road along 250km of roads. Given some of the project signs I see, it should cost closer to $50mil or $100mil to achieve. Guess it is the power of private enterprise at work, forcing tenders to be more competitive than they would be for public works.

edit: oops re read your post and yes I can't read properly, apologies :( The amazing ability of the private sector to eradicate red tape puts governments efforts to minimise red tape to shame. Accountability will always slow government down though as they have to show all parties, whether involved or not, that they make the fairest 'right' decision

RayRichards
High Rise Poster!

#22 Post by RayRichards » Sun May 27, 2012 11:28 am

The Roads Department are a stubborn lot.......

Quoted by the Advertiser May 23rd 2012.

A CONTROVERSIAL $21 million bypass road around Penola has been given the all clear to proceed.

An appeal by the Penola Ratepayers association against the Wattle Range Council using a section of public land for the bypass was dismissed by the High Court.

The 4km road has been opposed by vignerons and sections of the community since 1951.

The council will acquire land from six vineyards in a move Coonawarra vignerons said will take away some of the best wine growing soil in the world.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/real-esta ... 6364977108

Cheers.

Ray.