News & Discussion: Metropolitian Adelaide Road Upgrades

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
RayRichards
High Rise Poster!

Re: #U/C: Main South Rd / Victor Harbor Rd Intersection Upgrade

#16 Post by RayRichards » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:33 pm

ac83 wrote:Hi all,

During my weekly drives down to Victor Harbor I've noticed the large amount of roadworks appearing on the intersection of Victor Harbor Rd and Main South Rd. It looks an extra lane is being added by can't quite make sense of it. I've been searching around this forum and online to see what they are doing but can't seem to find anything. Hope to god it's not just another bandaid fix by placing traffic lights as the current stop sign already creates problems.

Maybe a simple fly over from VH rd turning right onto MS rd? Wishful thinking I believe. If Perth can have a flyover going into the Carousel Shopping Centre then how hard and how much is it to do this at that intersection?

If this has been discussed in this forum before paste the link and lock this topic!

Cheers,

Azz
Yes I agree as well mate, building traffic lights there is a waste of time when like you said, building a flyover would make sense when the road should be dual carraigeway anyway. Doing this as the one as well as further one at McLaren vale with put the road into a good future. The Southern Expressway should be 4-6 lanes from Darlington to Pedler Creek or McLaren Vale servicing the complete Outer South using Noarlunga centre as the 'heart' of the stretch.

The rail extension to Seaford (damn should be to Aldinga though - at least) would open it up down there and link both communities either side of the Onkapararinga.

Ray.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#17 Post by Aidan » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:37 pm

The existing arrangements are insufficient for the capacity. Traffic lights should've been installed ten or more years ago, and we should be replacing them with an overpass now. But slow progress is better than no progress.

There seems to have been quite a spate of traffic light installation in the southern suburbs recently. Lonsdale Road's had them installed at Christie Road and Patpa Way, and there's a set at the Patpa/Gledsdale/Quailo/Zwerner intersection. Is anything similar happening in the northern suburbs?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Briggzy_03
High Rise Poster!

#18 Post by Briggzy_03 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:25 pm

Aidan wrote:There seems to have been quite a spate of traffic light installation in the southern suburbs recently. Lonsdale Road's had them installed at Christie Road and Patpa Way, and there's a set at the Patpa/Gledsdale/Quailo/Zwerner intersection. Is anything similar happening in the northern suburbs?
The victor harbour/south road traffic lights will be the third set of lights in a year added in my route to work :x . Supposedly once the new library and public halls are built on the reserve opposite the Hallett Cove shops, the lights at the ramrod/lonsdale intersection will be removed and the intersection closed.

Aidan

#19 Post by Aidan » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:37 pm

Briggzy_03 wrote: The victor harbour/south road traffic lights will be the third set of lights in a year added in my route to work :x . Supposedly once the new library and public halls are built on the reserve opposite the Hallett Cove shops, the lights at the ramrod/lonsdale intersection will be removed and the intersection closed.
Hasn't that plan been abandoned? Ramrod avenue is needed for access to BigW, and with the underground car park entrance, the petrol station and the new McDonalds, there's unlikely to be any shortage of right turning vehicles.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Briggzy_03
High Rise Poster!

#20 Post by Briggzy_03 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:49 pm

Aidan wrote:
Briggzy_03 wrote: The victor harbour/south road traffic lights will be the third set of lights in a year added in my route to work :x . Supposedly once the new library and public halls are built on the reserve opposite the Hallett Cove shops, the lights at the ramrod/lonsdale intersection will be removed and the intersection closed.
Hasn't that plan been abandoned? Ramrod avenue is needed for access to BigW, and with the underground car park entrance, the petrol station and the new McDonalds, there's unlikely to be any shortage of right turning vehicles.
Hmm the plans are still up in the shopping centre with the intersection closed, I'm just going by them. It does seem silly to close it though, hopefully you're right and they have been abandoned.

Straze
High Rise Poster!

#21 Post by Straze » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:03 pm

Aidan wrote:The existing arrangements are insufficient for the capacity. Traffic lights should've been installed ten or more years ago, and we should be replacing them with an overpass now. But slow progress is better than no progress.

There seems to have been quite a spate of traffic light installation in the southern suburbs recently. Lonsdale Road's had them installed at Christie Road and Patpa Way, and there's a set at the Patpa/Gledsdale/Quailo/Zwerner intersection. Is anything similar happening in the northern suburbs?
If it makes the Main South Road/Victor Harbor Road Intersection safer for all users than that is better for the locals and tourists heading from Victor Harbor. Is Lonsdale Road still used by alot of trucks, if so than more traffic lights at busy intersections is ideal for both the local community and the freight industry. And yes Aidan there have been a handful of traffic lights installed at intersections on some of the major roads in the northern suburbs - on Salisbury Highway at the Shepardson Road and Spains Road intersections.
Do yourself a favour and come to South Australia.

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#22 Post by drsmith » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:18 pm

ac83 wrote:Hi all,

During my weekly drives down to Victor Harbor I've noticed the large amount of roadworks appearing on the intersection of Victor Harbor Rd and Main South Rd. It looks an extra lane is being added by can't quite make sense of it. I've been searching around this forum and online to see what they are doing but can't seem to find anything. Hope to god it's not just another bandaid fix by placing traffic lights as the current stop sign already creates problems.

Maybe a simple fly over from VH rd turning right onto MS rd? Wishful thinking I believe. If Perth can have a flyover going into the Carousel Shopping Centre then how hard and how much is it to do this at that intersection?

If this has been discussed in this forum before paste the link and lock this topic!

Cheers,

Azz
I don't know for sure but it's a reasonable bet that the flyover going from Albany Highway into the Carousel Shopping Centre was funded by the centre owners (Westfield).

Perth has a growing number of traffic signals in unusual locations. The Tonkin Highway south of Armadale Road for example and signals are currently being installed at the intersection of the Great Northern Highway with Brand Highway. Out there you can listen to the cows moo while you wait for the lights to change. I just hope there's not a seperate phase for sheep crossing the road.

A two-phase signal to allow northbound traffic from Victor Harbour on to the northbound carriageway of South Road I would have thought would be a relatively simple affair but for $12mil they must be doing something more complex. On Nearmap (Feb 16) earthworks are clearly evident on the intersection just to the north. That same image also suggests that the existing single lane access onto South Road northbound cannot cope with the traffic volume as suggested by another poster.

Briggzy_03
High Rise Poster!

#23 Post by Briggzy_03 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:33 pm

drsmith wrote:A two-phase signal to allow northbound traffic from Victor Harbour on to the northbound carriageway of South Road I would have thought would be a relatively simple affair but for $12mil they must be doing something more complex. On Nearmap (Feb 16) earthworks are clearly evident on the intersection just to the north. That same image also suggests that the existing single lane access onto South Road northbound cannot cope with the traffic volume as suggested by another poster.
It's costing $12mil because south road is being widened to three lanes as there will be three lanes for traffic turning out of the end of VH road. The number of lanes then revert back to two at Flemming bridge over the Onka. They're also upgrading the lights at the Seaford/South road intersection due to the widening.

I guess it will have to do, the current turn on to south road is ridiculous so it's an improvement at least..

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#24 Post by drsmith » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:16 am

Briggzy_03 wrote:It's costing $12mil because south road is being widened to three lanes as there will be three lanes for traffic turning out of the end of VH road.
Two lanes with a 2-phase signal wouldn't be enough ?

It take it that the current Seaford/South road intersection is also operating at capacity.

It's also interesting that in Adelaide 3-lanes through traffic signals decreasing to 2 beyond is becoming more common (Port Wakefield Road for example) whereas in Perth there are instances where these types of configurations are being removed on safety grounds.

drsmith
Legendary Member!

Re: #U/C: Main South Rd / Victor Harbor Rd Intersection Upgr

#25 Post by drsmith » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:14 pm

Grade seperation is a long way off for this location.

http://www.parliament.sa.gov.au/NR/rdon ... ORMAIN.pdf

The signalised upgrade is expected to cater for traffic growth for the next 15 to 20 years.
Benefits of grade seperation limited without grade seperation of the Seaford Road intersection at the same time (costly).

The Scooter Guy

Montague Road Upgrade

#26 Post by The Scooter Guy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:40 pm

Montague Road is being widened to allow for bike lanes, a centre median and right turn lanes.
There will still be only one traffic lane in each direction and retaining walls will be constructed along the southern side resulting in changes to car parking along the service road.
Progress has been good with new kerbing, landscaping and footpath work now appearing. One retaining wall is now in place and the decorative fencing nearby is being constructed. Lighting work has now commenced which will make further improvements to the area.
Excuse the quality, taken with DSi camera.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Waewick

#27 Post by Waewick » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:02 pm

hmm, I can't seem to open that document

for some reason I thought this project was happening prior to the duplication of the southern expressway.

I obviously got that wrong.

drwaddles
High Rise Poster!

#28 Post by drwaddles » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:39 pm

It would appear that the document has been moved/deleted since March when I posted the link.

Waewick

#29 Post by Waewick » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:45 pm

ahh, good to hear it's not just my poor computer skills then

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#30 Post by Wayno » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:16 pm

The intersection has been upgraded - just the finishing touches remain outstanding.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.