News & Discussion: Regional Transport

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
William
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Survey for Barossa Rail Passeger service.

#46 Post by William » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:05 pm

Somebody wrote:
Ho Really wrote:This is another reason why they should not rip up the Rosewater loop. This up-and-coming summer Adelaide will have a record number of cruise ship visits at Outer Harbor and many of the visitors will be going to The Barossa
Do you really think that they will want to step off the cruise ship, and straight into a train to visit the Barossa Valley, before they do so much as go into the heart of Adelaide City?

Bugger all people use Outer Harbor Station as is.
Absolutely without question, the BWT on several occasions took people from outer harbour to the Barossa Valley, some of those trips were so popular, that there wasn’t enough cars on the train to accommodate the interest, hence, unfortunately due to the Govt’s short sightless, and unwillingness to learn and adopt to the success, this tourist venture could have be explored a great deal further. In this particular case, it reminds me of the stories of when there was a massive rally against closing the line to Angaston, the Govt of the day closed the doors and totally ignored those people in 1968 because they knew best, well at least they thought they did.

Pat28
High Rise Poster!

Re: Railcar Passenger service, Angaston to Adelaide.

#47 Post by Pat28 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:18 pm

bm7500 wrote:More specifically... ICE 3 ..... Sex on rails! :wink:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... nkfurt.jpg
now were talking
Besser Verkehr in den Bergen

Wilfy 2007
High Rise Poster!

#48 Post by Wilfy 2007 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:38 am

William wrote:
Somebody wrote:
Ho Really wrote:This is another reason why they should not rip up the Rosewater loop. This up-and-coming summer Adelaide will have a record number of cruise ship visits at Outer Harbor and many of the visitors will be going to The Barossa
Do you really think that they will want to step off the cruise ship, and straight into a train to visit the Barossa Valley, before they do so much as go into the heart of Adelaide City?

Bugger all people use Outer Harbor Station as is.
Absolutely without question, the BWT on several occasions took people from outer harbour to the Barossa Valley, some of those trips were so popular, that there wasn’t enough cars on the train to accommodate the interest, hence, unfortunately due to the Govt’s short sightless, and unwillingness to learn and adopt to the success, this tourist venture could have be explored a great deal further. In this particular case, it reminds me of the stories of when there was a massive rally against closing the line to Angaston, the Govt of the day closed the doors and totally ignored those people in 1968 because they knew best, well at least they thought they did.
William,
So maybe planning should be put in place now for a SG set of Railcars to do cruise ship tours from Outer Harbour to the Barossa in the future.
Maybe this is part of the plan that the owners of the BWT have for the future.
Shame the Gawler line is not being converted to SG first as this would be a golden opportunity for the Tourism Industry in SA.

Regards,

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#49 Post by Somebody » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:41 pm

Why the sense of urgency with all your Barossa proposals Wilfy?

You keep insisting that trains need to be running there tomorrow. Do you think that no acruise ships will visit Outer Harbor again?

Angaston does not need trains before the suburban network is fixed.

Settle down.
The Gold Coast - Australia's centre for insipid, tacky & boring.

Wilfy 2007
High Rise Poster!

#50 Post by Wilfy 2007 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:17 pm

Somebody wrote:Why the sense of urgency with all your Barossa proposals Wilfy?

You keep insisting that trains need to be running there tomorrow. Do you think that no acruise ships will visit Outer Harbor again?

Angaston does not need trains before the suburban network is fixed.

Settle down.
Somebody,
Have you travelled on the Gawler Train since the new timetable started in April?

It is not a sense of urgency, cause you know as well as I do that it is not going to happen overnight.

Angaston does need a train now because of the overcrowding of the Gawler trains right at this minute.

Regards,

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#51 Post by AtD » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:29 pm

Angaston does need a train now because of the overcrowding of the Gawler trains right at this minute.
I don't understand. Angaston is 35km away from Gawler.

William
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#52 Post by William » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:53 pm

Urgency, maybe not, but there is definitely a need, not a desire but a need for this service to go to Angaston, those of us who live in the metro area don’t have a real need for any such service however, as we have found out through the survey that “Some of the surveys that have returned have had letters attached from people from Truo, Blanche town and Kapunda, from people who commute on a regular bases to the Gawler railway station to get to work, there has also been a number of replies from the disabled and return replies from those who would need the service on the Barossa line for medical and age constraint reasons of why they would like to see a returned service to the Valley.

This is just the tip of an ice burg to coin a phrase, and it is obvious that a passenger service to Angaston would in this time be well patronised, even stated by the SATC in Tanunda and of more recent the Gawler information and tourist centre , this service should have been put in place several years ago, so the prospects of this service really needs to be looked over properly now , not in 5-10 or 20 years time.

In a recent report that was explained in Parliament recently by Dennis Hood, a survey that was conducted by TransAdelaide shows that ,such a service would be viable for tourism and the growth of the region in promoting and job growth as well as the service would create stability in and around the Barossa region.

Wilfy 2007
High Rise Poster!

#53 Post by Wilfy 2007 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:07 pm

AtD wrote:
I don't understand. Angaston is 35km away from Gawler.
Atd,

There are many, many people from the Barossa including Angaston that drive by car to the Gawler Stations to continue on for their Jouney to Work.

As have been pointed out, many survey forms have had letters stating that the people of the Barossa need and want a Rail Passenger service.

I have a letter in my possesion from John Dawkins MLC who lives in Gawler East and has stated that the early morning Trains are overcrowded with up to 30 people standing in each carriage.

Do they stand for the whole trip? I would hope not.

Regards,

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#54 Post by Somebody » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:33 pm

If the trains from Gawler are overcrowded, maybe the solution is to.......

Run more trains, or run longer trains?

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Nah, too much logic in that. Let's just run trains to Angaston which will fix the problem of people in Elizabeth etc standing.

Wilfy, I doubt that anybody stands all the way from Gawler Central to Adelaide even at the height of peak. I doubt that off-peak trains are overcrowded either - the frequency was doubled earlier this year.

Wilfy 2007
High Rise Poster!

#55 Post by Wilfy 2007 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:00 pm

Somebody wrote:If the trains from Gawler are overcrowded, maybe the solution is to.......

Run more trains, or run longer trains?

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Nah, too much logic in that. Let's just run trains to Angaston which will fix the problem of people in Elizabeth etc standing.

Wilfy, I doubt that anybody stands all the way from Gawler Central to Adelaide even at the height of peak. I doubt that off-peak trains are overcrowded either - the frequency was doubled earlier this year.
Somebody,
According to the report I have in my hand from John Dawkins, passengers have been known to stand for the whole trip.
At this present moment there is not enough Rollingstock to run more Trains or longer Trains.
This has been a problem for some time, this has not happened overnight.
This is why we have been campaigning harder since January.
This is why we have been running the Survey.
This is why we have received many letters asking for this service.

So the people of Gawler/Gawler East and the Barossa will have to put up with a lot of hardship until the situation is changed.

As I have said in other threads, the Concordia development is to be bigger than Mawson Lakes. Which does not include the Gawler East Development.

Once again, the Government wants land development to progress, but Infastructure is another question.

Regards,

drwaddles
High Rise Poster!

#56 Post by drwaddles » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:05 pm

Hi Wilfy :)

Explain, please, how extending the train to Angaston will ease overcrowding south of Gawler? Logic would suggest that if all these extra people are going to use the service then overcrowding would only become worse!

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#57 Post by AtD » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:06 pm

That begs the question, Willfy. Should the government be allowing such development knowing that people will commute 80km every day? Shouldn't the government therefore focus its attention on providing homes for these people closer to the city?

Wilfy 2007
High Rise Poster!

#58 Post by Wilfy 2007 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:20 pm

AtD wrote:That begs the question, Willfy. Should the government be allowing such development knowing that people will commute 80km every day? Shouldn't the government therefore focus its attention on providing homes for these people closer to the city?
Atd,
Coundn't agree with you more.
But homes closer to the city are more expensive.
An alternative would be to have a cheap housing development closer to the city.
Maybe the Housing Trust and private enterprise together could do something like that if they haven't already.
My understanding is, there is land closer to the city, but is it for sale, and would the SA Government be interested in a cheaper housing project.

Regards,

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#59 Post by Somebody » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:44 pm

Wilfy 2007 wrote:At this present moment there is not enough Rollingstock to run more Trains or longer Trains.
But there is a special "Jumbo Reserve" of carriages ready to go for an Angaston service?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#60 Post by Norman » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:47 pm

Off-peak the trains are at between 50 and 25% capacity. I'm not sure about peak services, perhaps 409 can give us more details.