News & Discussion: Regional Transport

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Somebody
High Rise Poster!

Re: Survey for Barossa Rail Passeger service.

#61 Post by Somebody » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:50 pm

How well received has the 15-minute weekday frequency being? Pity that every 2nd train terminates at Gawler due to single track :(
The Gold Coast - Australia's centre for insipid, tacky & boring.

Wilfy 2007
High Rise Poster!

#62 Post by Wilfy 2007 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:56 pm

Somebody wrote:
Wilfy 2007 wrote:At this present moment there is not enough Rollingstock to run more Trains or longer Trains.
But there is a special "Jumbo Reserve" of carriages ready to go for an Angaston service?
Somebody,
Information I have received is at Peak hour there are no reserves, when there is a breakdown they revert to buses.

As far as I am aware there are no Reserves whatsoever.

This is why they are having so much trouble keeping services on timetable.

Regards,

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#63 Post by Somebody » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:04 pm

The last time someone asked where rollingstock for your Angaston service came from on Railpage, you said "they can use Jumbos".

I'll have to find it - don't normally use that sandpit which absorbs dribble.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#64 Post by Will409 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:09 pm

To answer everyone's questions:

Wilfy2007: The reason why trains have issues running to time on the system is because of the poor state of the track on most of the system (and the resulting TSRs) as well as guggling around of train services in Adelaide yard which during peak sees some trains standing in the yard awaiting clearance to enter the platform for upto 5 - 8 minutes at a time (one of my trains to the City last week was held in the yard for 10 minutes).

Norman: From my observations, all 2 car off peak trains are around 35 - 55% full on approach to the City while all off peak single car trains on the Gawler Central line are between 70% - 85% full on approach to the City.

Somebody: Generally the 15 minute frequency on the Gawler Central line has been well recieved although a few people aren't so sure about the 'skip - stop' stopping pattern that has been introduced. It does make short 2 or 3 station journeys a little more difficult but generally it has been accepted well.

As for rollingstock, during peak times around 2 railcars out of the total fleet of 99 are made spare although off peak, around 20 - 30 railcars are stabled in the Adelaide Railcar Depot.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#65 Post by Somebody » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:18 pm

Single car?

Aren't the off-peak trains 3100 pairs or a couple of 3000s coupled?

Wilfy 2007
High Rise Poster!

#66 Post by Wilfy 2007 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:23 pm

Will409 wrote:To answer everyone's questions:

Wilfy2007: The reason why trains have issues running to time on the system is because of the poor state of the track on most of the system (and the resulting TSRs) as well as guggling around of train services in Adelaide yard which during peak sees some trains standing in the yard awaiting clearance to enter the platform for upto 5 - 8 minutes at a time (one of my trains to the City last week was held in the yard for 10 minutes).

Norman: From my observations, all 2 car off peak trains are around 35 - 55% full on approach to the City while all off peak single car trains on the Gawler Central line are between 70% - 85% full on approach to the City.

Somebody: Generally the 15 minute frequency on the Gawler Central line has been well recieved although a few people aren't so sure about the 'skip - stop' stopping pattern that has been introduced. It does make short 2 or 3 station journeys a little more difficult but generally it has been accepted well.

As for rollingstock, during peak times around 2 railcars out of the total fleet of 99 are made spare although off peak, around 20 - 30 railcars are stabled in the Adelaide Railcar Depot.
Will 409,

Thanks for that Info.
Much appreciated.

Regards,

drwaddles
High Rise Poster!

#67 Post by drwaddles » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:24 pm

drwaddles wrote:Hi Wilfy :)

Explain, please, how extending the train to Angaston will ease overcrowding south of Gawler? Logic would suggest that if all these extra people are going to use the service then overcrowding would only become worse!
I know you don't like me Wilfy, but I'm still waiting for an answer...

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#68 Post by Somebody » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:25 pm

Wilfy,

Would you be in support of a railcar service from Gawler to Wyong via Angaston, Broken Hill, Parkes, Lithgow, Lidcombe, Hornsby and Gosford? :idea: :arrow:

Wilfy 2007
High Rise Poster!

#69 Post by Wilfy 2007 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:29 pm

Somebody wrote:The last time someone asked where rollingstock for your Angaston service came from on Railpage, you said "they can use Jumbos".

I'll have to find it - don't normally use that sandpit which absorbs dribble.
Somebody,
If I remember correctly, fabricator said there were Jumbo services that go from Gawler to Adelaide at certain times of the morning.
If I am correct I suggested that the Jumbo service could go to Gawler East or the Barossa from the Gawler depot and come into Gawler at the correct timetable time for the service to Adelaide.

Regards,

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#70 Post by Somebody » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:32 pm

If you're whinging about the existing services being overcrowded, how will running those services from Angaston (as in getting more passengers!) fix it!?

You need to reply to my other question too :P

Wilfy 2007
High Rise Poster!

#71 Post by Wilfy 2007 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:38 pm

drwaddles wrote:

Explain, please, how extending the train to Angaston will ease overcrowding south of Gawler? Logic would suggest that if all these extra people are going to use the service then overcrowding would only become worse!
drwaddles,

Sorry i did not see your message.
You are probably 100% correct, but if the service was run correctly with improved timetabling from what it is now then perhaps the problems would be solved.
As Will 409 has pointed out part of the problem is the Track itself and it is going to be a while before it is fixed.

Just for the record, I have never said I don't like you and I always try to answer you posts.

Regards,

Wilfy 2007
High Rise Poster!

#72 Post by Wilfy 2007 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:39 pm

Somebody wrote:Wilfy,

Would you be in support of a railcar service from Gawler to Wyong via Angaston, Broken Hill, Parkes, Lithgow, Lidcombe, Hornsby and Gosford? :idea: :arrow:
Somebody,

You have always said I was the Dribbler, looks like the tables have turned Mate.

Regards,

Wilfy 2007
High Rise Poster!

#73 Post by Wilfy 2007 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:47 pm

drwaddles,

According to information I have received the overcrowding was starting/is starting at Gawler Central and Gawler, so basically some trains are full before they leave Gawler.

The 6.35 train is the example that I have been given.

Regards,

drwaddles
High Rise Poster!

#74 Post by drwaddles » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:02 pm

Wilfy 2007 wrote:
Somebody wrote:Wilfy,

Somebody,

You have always said I was the Dribbler, looks like the tables have turned Mate.

Regards,
I'll pay that :lol:

drwaddles
High Rise Poster!

#75 Post by drwaddles » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:05 pm

Wilfy 2007 wrote:
drwaddles wrote:

drwaddles,

Sorry i did not see your message.
You are probably 100% correct, but if the service was run correctly with improved timetabling from what it is now then perhaps the problems would be solved.
As Will 409 has pointed out part of the problem is the Track itself and it is going to be a while before it is fixed.

Just for the record, I have never said I don't like you and I always try to answer you posts.

Regards,
Fair enough :)

If the current trains are already full by Gawler than adding more patronage north of Gawler will only make things worse. Adding another two trains per hour (10 minute frequency) would provide the additional capacity desired.

If you are saying that people drive to Gawler and then catch the train - what difference to overcrowding would it make if they catch it from Angaston? The answer is none - the same number of passengers will still be on the train from Gawler southwards.

Current overcrowding is thus an invalid argument for extending services beyond Gawler.