[PRO] Aldinga Rail Extension | $800m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Archer
High Rise Poster!

[PRO] Re: #PRO: $800 million rail extension to Aldinga

#16 Post by Archer » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:17 pm

They Really need to release the proposed routes and station locations for Public consultation. Let us see what is being planned.

Why are they being secretive about it? I've read a couple of stories about this now where the proposed routes aren't being released and consultation is happening only with direct stake holders etc.

This concerns me greatly, what don't they want us to know about these routes?

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#17 Post by muzzamo » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:27 am

Archer wrote:This concerns me greatly, what don't they want us to know about these routes?
Have you considered that they don't actually know what the station locations are yet? It is very eary days.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#18 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:01 am

muzzamo wrote:
Archer wrote:This concerns me greatly, what don't they want us to know about these routes?
Have you considered that they don't actually know what the station locations are yet? It is very eary days.
The State Government might be absolutely hopeless with urban planning, but I'd be fairly certain that they would have a pretty solid (although not final) idea of where they want to put stations.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by Archer » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:25 am

muzzamo wrote:
I can understand that, perhaps I am simply Impatient and I am happy to acknowledge that. I am not so concerned about the stations as the proposed routes themselves, although the talk about a station for Seaford Heights, given the currently provided corridor and the location of the Seaford Heights Development is interesting.

However, from the article quoted above:
In his presentation to the council, Mr Evans outlined the Government's two preferred rail routes and also revealed:

TEN residential properties would need to be acquired for the project.

ONE proposed route would travel alongside Main South Rd and the other along Commercial Rd.

A LARGE park and ride area would be installed at the Aldinga stop.

THE train line would run through the Rocla mine site in Maslin Beach.

TRENCHES up to 20m deep would need to be dug to install the train line.
So the two preferred routes are known, and there is a suggestion from this that it will have to swing across to Commercial Road at Masiln Beach to provide the Station there and to pass through the mine site. This is primarily the part of the route, based on the above information that concerns me. (I'm sure other areas of concern will come up down the track, particularly at the Aldinga end.)

metro
Legendary Member!

#20 Post by metro » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:30 pm

$800million :shock:

For 8km of ground level track and 2 stations? that is about $100m per/km! or maybe it's going to be all in tunnels :roll:

Sounds like the NSW disease.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#21 Post by muzzamo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:07 am

metro wrote:$800million :shock:

For 8km of ground level track and 2 stations? that is about $100m per/km! or maybe it's going to be all in tunnels :roll:

Sounds like the NSW disease.
Its what happens in a country where you pay unskilled laborers 80K/year.

[Shuz]

#22 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:20 am

Not to mention also, for those who read the article, cuttings of up to 20m deep will be required for the track alignment. There's some serious cost involved in excavating all that dirt as well.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Dazzeland
High Rise Poster!

[PRO] Re: #PRO: Aldinga Rail Extension | $800m

#23 Post by Dazzeland » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:03 pm

Has anyone heard anymore about this?

[Shuz]

#24 Post by [Shuz] » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:25 pm

Dazzeland wrote:Has anyone heard anymore about this?
If anyone had anymore information to provide, it would have already been provided.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#25 Post by neoballmon » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:10 am

I was just using the AdelaideMetro route planner, and I happened to follow down the Seaford line, and saw that it had mapped the proposed location of the Aldinga Extension.

This shows the general area

The track continues along the corridor to meet with South Road near Dalkeith Road, following parallel to South Road until Thomas Road (dirt road), then heads south-west towards and through Old Coach Road. It then comes into Aldinga, crossing Quinliven Road and parallel to How Road until its terminus.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#26 Post by Norman » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:56 am

That is because the map data comes from Open Street Map, essentially a Wikipedia-style map anyone can edit. I wouldn't pay too close attention to this as apparently the route still has not been decided yet.

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#27 Post by Archer » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:57 am

Norman wrote:That is because the map data comes from Open Street Map, essentially a Wikipedia-style map anyone can edit. I wouldn't pay too close attention to this as apparently the route still has not been decided yet.
Are you sure about that Norman? There was a short article in a recent messenger indicating that the State government would be purchasing the required land over the next 2-4 I think it was from memory. Pretty sure the Article state this was Budgeted for and would ensure the corridor for the future extension of the line. That would suggest to me that a decision has been made on the route. I'll see if I can find the article and will post it when I can.

Found it:
Southern Times Messenger wrote:

LAND for the Aldinga Rail extension will be bought in the next two years, under a Weatherill Labor Government.

Transport Minister Tom Koutsantonis announced on Monday (February 17) the State Government would secure the land it needed to extend rail services from Seaford to Aldinga.

“The identification of the future Aldinga rail corridor paves the way for long-term planning,” Mr Koutsantonis said.

The corridor would be located toward the coast, just west of Bowering Hill Rd, and end near the Aldinga Town Centre.

Mr Koutsantonis said the possible future extension of the Seaford line to Aldinga was being considered in association with the 30-Year Plan for Greater Adelaide and the Integrated Transport and Land Use Plan.

“This planning will ensure the corridor is secured, while minimising the disruption of future communities and to inform future residential, commercial and open space development,” he said.

Buying the land to secure the corridor will commence in the next two years and funding has been allocated.
From Page 3 of the Southern Times Messenger dated the 19th Feb 2014.

From that description though, the route on the journey planning map is wrong. Having said that, the description seems a little off too... "Just West of Bowering Hill Road", I can't see the sense in going that far west. Also, clearly an election announcement, but would still suggest a route has been decided on.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#28 Post by Norman » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:27 pm

Either way, Open Street Map is a user generated site, I would not fully rely on it in terms of planned lines and corridors.

[Shuz]

#29 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:32 pm

I can tell you a route has already been determined for the Aldinga extension and it is not what Open Street Map shows.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#30 Post by neoballmon » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:56 pm

Ah ok, did not know that was open-editing. Explains why I'd never seen a route before until I opened this.

Anymore you can elaborate Shuz?
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!